Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game yet but I've looked at the rules and read some threads on here. I understand that you can play solo as 3 or 4 characters but would it be possible or worthwhile to come up with a variant to play as 2 characters ( 1 would probably be not worth it)? Perhaps by reducing the number of Empire tiles (and empire characters)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it would really throw the balance of the game through the window.
I know that managing 3 characters in this game is hard, but I find it really rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Managing 3 heroes isn't bad I don't think really. Generally, I like to lay the player character tiles out randomly, which gives you 6(if I remember right), and then choose 3 from there, starting from their home positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually solo with 4. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't that bad. Table space is the main issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Adam
Canada
Sherbrooke
Québec
flag msg tools
Worked at DTI, Gameloft, Outerminds
badge
When going gets tough, you call Braum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilty of soloing with 4 heroes too. Hope to get a friend to play and hopefully like the game soon enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solo'd with 3 heroes and, to be honest, I find it bothers me (mostly because I forget how many attack dice a character has, by the time it's turn comes back.) I too would wish for a 2-or-1 character mode. Shouldn't the balance be offset by the number of actions you get? Basically, in the current table of players vs actions per characters, the player team gets a total of 15 or 16 actions. Couldn't we get 7 per character for a team of 2 characters?
I understand that getting "too many" actions on 1 character would allow it to cross the map before enemies react, so that'd have to get extra rules for limitation (you can't move through spaces of than 3 areas?)
And limiting the number of attacks to an enemy per turn (to 2), maybe?
It'd still really streamline things, in my opinion.

What else do you guys think would ruin it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
I've solo'd with 3 heroes and, to be honest, I find it bothers me (mostly because I forget how many attack dice a character has, by the time it's turn comes back.) I too would wish for a 2-or-1 character mode. Shouldn't the balance be offset by the number of actions you get? Basically, in the current table of players vs actions per characters, the player team gets a total of 15 or 16 actions. Couldn't we get 7 per character for a team of 2 characters?
I understand that getting "too many" actions on 1 character would allow it to cross the map before enemies react, so that'd have to get extra rules for limitation (you can't move through spaces of than 3 areas?)
And limiting the number of attacks to an enemy per turn (to 2), maybe?
It'd still really streamline things, in my opinion.

What else do you guys think would ruin it?

I don't think limiting the type of action (such as movement) is really a way to balance the game. The main issue with fewer characters is your map coverage becomes smaller. Even if you had 7-8 actions, you are still limited on the number of troops you can have (limiting your combat power for any one given fight) and support cards you can draw (assuming normal rules there). You will be spending a lot of time gathering resources to . The fact that 2 characters would only around 10 soldiers and two attack vectors on the board controlled by the players might require some other creative house rules to balance.

It has been a few months since I got the game out, maybe I could try playing a 2 character solo variant with more actions to try it out but I suspect it won't hold up as well as 3-4 character play, even though it would mean less table space used up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veers1138 wrote:

I don't think limiting the type of action (such as movement) is really a way to balance the game. The main issue with fewer characters is your map coverage becomes smaller. Even if you had 7-8 actions, you are still limited on the number of troops you can have (limiting your combat power for any one given fight) and support cards you can draw (assuming normal rules there). You will be spending a lot of time gathering resources to . The fact that 2 characters would only around 10 soldiers and two attack vectors on the board controlled by the players might require some other creative house rules to balance.

It has been a few months since I got the game out, maybe I could try playing a 2 character solo variant with more actions to try it out but I suspect it won't hold up as well as 3-4 character play, even though it would mean less table space used up.

Do you think the game would be too hard, then? (I was under the impression that it could be the contrary.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
I'm honestly not too sure without trying it out. You can make the case either way, I think. Yes more actions creates a stronger concentration of power for fewer player characters, but it also means you are unable to spread the brunt of enemy attacks among more characters. Furthermore, unless you get exceptionally lucky with getting allies for the princess, you still have your work cut out for you in terms of either defeating enough enemy characters or weakening the capitol tile enough for the princess to survive that end game gauntlet.

I think certain character selections might trivialize the game with such a high action count, such as using Annelie since she can Send for free and that power becomes more potent the more actions she has to spend on recruiting/collecting (you can already see it in a 3-4 player game vs a 5-6 player game). Then again this is possibly balanced out by the fact that she is poor at combat.

I was too busy to try it last night but I'm pretty curious how it would play so I will see if I can find the time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep this thread posted. I'm curious as well. My game is on the surgical table, getting its standees blackened / whitened, except now I should be designing the stickers with life, military strength & AI personality. (When I find time, that is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
I just finished a 2 character solo game.

Standard board setup and rules.

8 actions per character.

I used the Elf King and Havoc as characters since they have no abilities that really make exceptions to the game rules.

Warrior princess variant (not my favorite variant but wanted to try it)

I won on the 7th round without any character deaths, though it was pretty rough in a few battles.

Recap:

There's a lot of randomness in how the event and fate cards play out, and despite several thorough shuffles of the fate cards, I pretty much drew them in an order that couldn't have been more perfect. The elf king drew Love at First Sight fate for the female twin on the 2nd round, then proceeded to beat up the brother to recruit him. From there he drew a fate card for the red drake that recruited him after defeating him. So the elf king forged ahead with tons of dice to throw on offense.

Havoc ended up playing rear guard and it wasn't until the end of the 6th round that the berserker enemy, who had been hounding us since round 2, was finally defeated, because the necromancer's tile was adjacent so she kept refilling the troopers as we chipped away. In one early battle, Havoc took 7 damage losing all his troops he had and taking 3 HP damage.

Elf king had forged ahead and got to the Capitol tile while the emperor still had 5 strength plus his 8 troopers. He rolled 12 dice on his first attack and it was a bad roll, he took 8 damage leaving him at 1 HP and no troops, but he'd done enough damage to the emperor's troops for the princess to be able to survive the confrontation when she arrived 2 rounds later.

Thoughts:

The minimized board coverage was mostly canceled out by the extra actions. Unlike normal play, with 8 actions it was nearly impossible to really risk getting 'stranded' out of a fort/city in order to make a critical move on a turn like blocking/killing an enemy. The amount of actions meant I could pretty much always stock plenty of resources/troops before moving to the next tile.

Since I didn't make any exceptions to the 1 support card per character per round rule, only having access to 2 support cards per round was a limitation that I think helped balance the game.

Getting the twins within the 3rd round, and on such a strong character as the elf king clearly helped a lot. If I hadn't recruited them I'm not sure I would have necessarily lost but it certainly wouldn't have been such a speedy win. Using characters not quite as well suited to offense would have made the game a lot different I'm sure. I'd need to try it again, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.