Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Feedback for MB:P Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm not a backer and don't own the game, I'm looking to get more info on whether Expansions were really worth it to be added on top of the God Pledge.

I'm asking because I backed Joan of Arc and I'm not sure if all the add'ons just add a little more to the experience of the Core game or the changes are significant.

While this is a different game, Mythic worked on MBP as well and they are pretty similar on how the campaign went / structure of the game (different theme).

So, for those who pledged for the Expansions for MBP. Was it worth getting them? Did it change the game experience radically or just add a bit of flavor here and there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hopkins
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Hera expansion has a new two sided board so it adds variety to the battlefields you can fight on. I think it's worth it for that alone. That said, Hera is also a great God. You can't have Zeus without Hera!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Witt
Germany
Müden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Poseidon: adds new gamemode - naval battle, a new doublesided board, a new campaign and awesome minis. --> focus on seabased creatures and settings

Hera: adds Campaign, upgradecards and evolutioncards, a doublesided gameboard and awesome minis too --> focus on naturebased creatures

Hepheistos: adds campaign, doublesided gameboard, awesome minis
--> focus on lavabased creatures and settings

Titans: adds incredible minis and campaign

All the other expansions adding minis to vari the gameplay.

There are a few threads about it explaining the different Expansions more detailed. Just search the BGG-Forum.

Please excuse my bad english

cu @olympus,

Flut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
The three big expansions seem worth the money if their content appeals to you. The ones that come with maps, a variety of units and scenarios.

Titan's expansion is just not worth it, it has the least value for the money out of all expansions save for the Manticore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not go all in, but did pick up several addons. Out of everything, in all honesty, the most useful thing was the deluxe storage box. I do enjoy all the additional options tho (minis and boards) and I rather like the Titans, as not only are they super large minis, but since you pick one instead of a god, it adds more options. The campaign is also rather neat.

Otherwise, no matter what you pick, they all simply provide more options to extend the base game. None of them radically change the core mechanics or add additional items that change the base rules (like traditional expansions usually do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of variation in the base pledge (Core+Pandora). If that is any indication, I would expect that very few people who go ALL IN with JoA will ever get full use of all the stuff they end up getting.

Some of the expansion bits might feel more significant than others, but really, MB is a complete game without any expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Gates
msg tools
I went all in with MB and I have to say the big expansions are definitely worth it. As stated elsewhere each one offers a new aspect to the base game, with the Hephaestus being the least altering. However all of the smaller expansions didn't really offer too much as you got more than enough units in the Pandora box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found the Titan add on to be the best, which is definitely not the majority feeling. We have the others which ARE awesome but felt primarily like more of the same type of thing we already had (with some additional elements here and there). The coop scenarios for the Titans are amazing, and having those figures on the board is beyond epic.

But they are all amazing. I know someone who went for Hera because they wanted Perseus. And someone who went for Poseidon because they wanted the sirens...

And YES the deluxe storage is surprisingly amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Generally all units added through expansions are very useful since they can be used in any skirmish game which is pretty much the main mode to play the game.

Every single unit brings new strategies to the table. Well troops not as much but every hero, monster and divinity has an impact.

And extra maps are always very welcome to add variety. The Haephestus expansion probably adds the best maps since it has lava on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had opportunity to use even a tenth of everything in the Typhon full package (And I'm probably not going to any time soon, given the snail-like pace of my mini painting), but for me I'd say it's absolutely worth it. More options on top of a solid system, with some mild (some might say too mild) deviations and extensions from/to the baseline formula (I think the most extreme deviations are the equipment and skill cards, which I haven't seen anyone use yet).

It's definitely (mostly) more of the same, but that's kinda what I asked for when I ordered more of the same.

JoA, I don't think it's entirely analogous despite the similar/same team. They've deliberately added expansions that change the core gameplay (Ars Nova's scenarios are supposedly an entirely different game). I strongly suspect (hope) that the siege add-on scenarios will play very differently from the base game even though they're based on the core system. Likewise the fantasy armies/troops (Angels/Demons/Dracula/Werewolves/etc) will probably inject some variety that wouldn't make any sense for quasi-realistic troops (Such as angels' ability to make orbital drops).

I mean, at this point it's impossible to say with any certainty, but all I can really say is that I went all-in on MBP, didn't regret it, and will do the same on JoA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I mean, at this point it's impossible to say with any certainty, but all I can really say is that I went all-in on MBP, didn't regret it, and will do the same on JoA.

I went all in on JoA too, most I have ever invested in a game. In fact I confirmed my investment in the pledge manager yesterday. That said, the amount of thought and design etc etc that's gone into it is staggering and there wasn't anything I thought looked disposable, even the ridiculously huge dragon.

Roll on December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:

Quote:

I went all in on JoA too, most I have ever invested in a game. In fact I confirmed my investment in the pledge manager yesterday. That said, the amount of thought and design etc etc that's gone into it is staggering and there wasn't anything I thought looked disposable, even the ridiculously huge dragon.

Roll on December.

I'm actually engaged in an internal battle over whether I should get a second dragon to put on my office desk.

It's opposed by a voice that says "get another siege pack too so it can have a little fortress to burn down".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love like JoA took over this conversation completely. I have zero interest in MBP but I'm incredibly excited for JoA.. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
I love like JoA took over this conversation completely. I have zero interest in MBP but I'm incredibly excited for JoA.. devil

That's funny, I'm the opposite. Zero interest in JoA, but backed MBP with the hopes that it'd be a good game.

And boy has it delivered. Easily one of the best games I have played in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Might be more cost effective to just download the rules of Joan of Arc and use Lego or Playmobil to create the armies and castles instead, then you get a better scale too.

The scale is just too small for me and makes most characters look goofy. Not that you could really see much detail when they are on the board due to their size.

Seems like a more limited game than Mythic battles too, but that's just me perhaps. Less variation in units. The 100 years war is also done so many times already. There's better themes to go with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rault wrote:
I'm looking to get more info on whether Expansions were really worth it to be added on top of the God Pledge.

If you really like the game, yes, they're worth it. However if you just want to play, you will have a huge degree of replayability without them. To weigh in on my opinions of the best values:

Best Value
Hera Expansion - Cool maps, cool monsters, cool heroes, and Hera herself opens up wonderful new combos for existing characters (with her lower costs) If I could get just one expansion, this would be it.
Heroes of the Trojan War - All 5 heroes bring something unique to the table that doesn't exist in the base pledge and all integrate well with the base pledge units. If I was limited to one small expansion, clearly this.

Buy Only if You Want Everything
Corinthia (& Ketos) - As much for Conan as it is for Mythic battles.
Rise of the Titans - Ok, they're huge and cool looking, but really expensive for 4 units and they don't add that much to the gameplay; sure, they have big numbers, but the fun and replayability comes from the tactics of the game and interaction of various units;
these guys don't add much new to that. I know some will disagree with this opinion and that great, I'm glad they love them, they're just not my cup of tea.
Poseidon - Ignore this if you really want a sea battle. I don't care for them because dealing with terrain and obstacles is part of the fun. And outside the ocean, this expansion has much less bang for the buck.

Anything I didn't list is someplace in between. Those come down to a coolness evaluation and budget. I.e. I think the manticore is awesome, but I'd be hard pressed to say $50 is a good deal for 1 unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Have to agree that Hera and heroes of the trojan war are the best expansions for their value, but I'll chip in and add my thoughts on the Haephestus box.

The lava terrain makes for unique maps, and it has quite a few fire resistant units.
If you are looking to increase your monster count, this box is the cheapest for that. It adds five monsters. Downside is only one hero while Hera box adds six heroes, but it does add two troops instead of one as well.

It's the expansion that comes next in line if you still want more after Hera and heroes of the trojan war pretty much.

It also includes a few characters I really did not want to miss out on personally. For me it was mainly Pandora and the only real cyclops in the entire game. Prometheus, the caucasian eagle and the colchis bull are all beautiful and iconic to greek mythology too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon was the one I went with and I am happy with that purchase. A lot of people undersell the completely different tactics introducted by sea battles, particularly when you need to make an amphibious landing to collect omphalos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.