Richard Finch
United Kingdom
Woking
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read some of the rules, but am a little confused about one entry:

"Setting up the Village and Dungeon":

2. In their respective spots in the Marketplace; set out two stacks of each: Items, Spells, and Weapons. Add an additional stack from two of these three categories to the Any spots.

Can someone explain this in more detail?

It might become more clear once I have the game / cards / board in hand, but out of context I'm a little confused.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Naumanen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a different way to explain it:

You set out 9 stacks - 3 Weapons, 3 Items, and 3 Spells. But wait, there's only 8 spaces on the board. So you must leave out 1 stack. The one stack you leave out can be either Weapon, Item, or Spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Finch
United Kingdom
Woking
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - that makes more sense.

I guess I was thinking all the items would be shuffled together - so how to stack them, rather than you have 5 axes which are a single stack, etc

Guess it is a bit like stacks of cards in Dominion, Trains, etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
questover wrote:

I guess I was thinking all the items would be shuffled together - so how to stack them, rather than you have 5 axes which are a single stack, etc

Or Thunderstone and Thunderstone Advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kahler
United States
Lees Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
questover wrote:

There is an variant that detailed in the near the back of the rulebook "Epic Thunderstone Quest" and it is closer to what you are describing where you use decks made up of a random assortment of all the each of the item types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, this is correct.

The "any" slots are used in a slightly different way in the two Epic variants, to the standard game. They are set up on the board in such a way so that whatever they are filled with you can keep all of the cards of the same type adjacent in some way - a vertical row of weapons or spells and a block of items.

But essentially it is set up so that you always have at least two of each type - weapon, spell, item - and then two other cards that can be of a random type from those three. So as the original respondent notes, imagine having three of each type but having one too few spots, so you end up with only two. This is the way the pre-set quests are arranged, in a 3-3-2 configuration.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.