Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Technology board is too far. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philipp Mist
Russia
flag msg tools
Hi, all.

Dunno for sure, is it a real problem, but I see this thing at almost every of our Eclipse games. If you use table big enough to fit comfortably 6 players, then technology board becomes too far from 2-3 players. They have to stand up always to see what is there on technology board or take a photo each round to see what's there during play on theirs seats. Have somebody faced such a problem? Maybe there is some solutions? Does anybody know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
DEATH FROM ABOVE
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I know some people invented standing technology boards. It looks cool and works great but is pretty difficult to make. I don't care because in a 6 player game I find myself standing nearly all the time it's intense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malef wrote:
Hi, all.

Dunno for sure, is it a real problem, but I see this thing at almost every of our Eclipse games. If you use table big enough to fit comfortably 6 players, then technology board becomes too far from 2-3 players. They have to stand up always to see what is there on technology board or take a photo each round to see what's there during play on theirs seats. Have somebody faced such a problem? Maybe there is some solutions? Does anybody know?

I know what you are talking about and we have faced similar problems in the past.

It does get better with familiarity of the game, since people will know the costs and order of techs, but until then we were using one of the player aids found in the file section that is organised in the same format as the technology board.

It is easy to see across the table that there are some tokens available in the third slot on the second row and then you can check on the player aid what that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It was a real problem for people (6 player game) to see the Tech Board.

I made a duplicate of the board to place at the opposite end of the
table, but it had no tokens

Most players either walked over to look or asked what was available.

I hear they are making a new edition of the game so
hopefully they can rectify this issue

It is the MAIN reason we don't play the game anymore
because of this

Make each player have their OWN tech board in some way

I believe Exodus Primera Centauri handles this quite well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you use the appr. 15 minutes downtime between your turns to learn them by heart?

Just Kidding, but seriously though. Eclipse with 6 players - bäh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:
Can't you use the appr. 15 minutes downtime between your turns to learn them by heart?

Just Kidding, but seriously though. Eclipse with 6 players - bäh.

As someone who is pedantic enough to actually time his players with a DGT cube and someone who is consistently unable to understand or take a joke:

Assuming an average of 3-4 Actions per Player/round for 27-36 Actions and my measured average of 35 minutes personal playtime per player, downtime between actions should generally be around 5 to 6 minutes in a six player game.

Plus 20 Minutes downtime, when there is a Battle with 2 Dreadnoughts per side with only improved hulls and one Ion Cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
As someone who is pedantic enough to actually time his players with a DGT cube

So I'm not the only one ? modest

I considered having a webcam + tv to alleviate this issue, but was too lazy to implement it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass your phone down and have someone take a pic. Or text everyone a pic every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Give me some bamboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
malef wrote:
Hi, all.

My husband got this idea from someone about a different game and it has worked well for others including Eclipse

This way we can just pick up the container and hand them to the person.

He got them several of them of different sizes from the Container Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashtrix406 wrote:
malef wrote:
Hi, all.

My husband got this idea from someone about a different game and it has worked well for others including Eclipse

This way we can just pick up the container and hand them to the person.

He got them several of them of different sizes from the Container Store.

They work great for upgrades, but not all that great for the technology board, IME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to play nine players is to get a digital camera pointing straight down and project the tech board on a wall so everyone can see it. Works great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
Best way to play nine players is to get a digital camera pointing straight down and project the tech board on a wall so everyone can see it. Works great!

Ha ha, oh my God you are a genius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
LazyJ wrote:

Ha ha, oh my God you are a genius

That is kind of cool! I was thinking also one of those game trays, but with each slot for the tech slanted at an angle so they can be seen more easily from anything other than top-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/74559/portable-tech-board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Blom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1533426/eclipse-rise-ancient...

I also like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Mist
Russia
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:

I like this one too. And you don't need any DIY, just print. But there is no Rare techs and no Developments. So if anyone would do such thing for all expansions that will be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
malef wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

I like this one too. And you don't need any DIY, just print. But there is no Rare techs and no Developments. So if anyone would do such thing for all expansions that will be cool.

I made that thing. In all this time, nobody asked me to add rare techs and expansions. So I didn't think that it would be necessary.

I'll see what I can do. But it won't be soon. If someone else would like to take it up in the meantime, feel free to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malef wrote:
Hi, all.

You can see by just standing up!? We've had to walk over!

I would've thought about something you can tilt, but that requires mini-shelving rows to keep the chits from falling.

To me, standing up to walk over IS part of the game (not that this helps you, but I had to mention it blush )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Kanter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I enjoy the "standing up and walk a few steps every turn" part of eclipse more than the "sit still for 3 hours straight" one.
We also announce every tech drawn to have everybody updated. And whoever does not want to walk around gets the job of handling tech and that's that.

Most complaints I have heard about tech in eclipse is the random draw itself. I got no issue with it but some apparently like to plan everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Considering that this is a long game and the developers didn’t want to be liable for players getting DVTs (deep vein thrombosis) from sitting too long. Getting up helps move the blood around. It also prevents sacral ulcers from developing. You can then get credit for taking some steps on your fit bit, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinMD wrote:
Considering that this is a long game and the developers didn’t want to be liable for players getting DVTs (deep vein thrombosis) from sitting too long. Getting up helps move the blood around. It also prevents sacral ulcers from developing. You can then get credit for taking some steps on your fit bit, too.
Special Eclipse category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Dubovszki
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
I faced exactly the same problem. So I decided to create my own custom tech board implementation:

It can hold up to five tech tile of the same technology and it can be passed around the table.
It based on Paul Paella's great work (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87429/technology-trac...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That’s incredible. Nicely played......literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.