Chinese Dominoes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ho Hpai - Korean game with Chinese Domino, questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petyr E
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All that I could find on the game is not very clear text here: http://www.domino-play.com/Games/Ho-Hpai.htm (there is another resource - http://healthy.uwaterloo.ca/museum/Archives/Culin/Dice1893/h... - with the same text).

Firstly, I can't understand the first motion: "The Tjyang-ouen then whirls his 7 pieces about between his fingers in the right hand until 1 piece slips out. This piece he turns face up". What kind of a trick is it? I'd just turn a random tile face up.

Secondly, this tile goes to the table face down: "The seventh piece that was turned up is now turned down and mixed with the remaining pieces, which are placed side by side in a line, and covered with a slip of paper, or a strip of bamboo made for the purpose". Seems to be both "wall" (like in mahjong) and discard at the same time. Okay, treat it like a queue, fine. But in the end (after all valid combinations) we see an addition: "If the first player has not drawn a winning hand he puts down a piece from his hand at the end that is nearest to him of the concealed row and takes up the piece at the other end, at the same time sliding the row of pieces along, so that the piece he puts down is concealed, and the piece he takes up is exposed". Totally new gameflow for me. "Exposed" means "not under the slip of paper", as I cound understand. But "the end that is nearest to him"? So 2 players will draw from one side, and 2 other - from another? Why they cannot draw from one side everybody and discard to the other side?

It seems to be a funny game, but too unclear. I hope someone can help with these rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.