Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all, I'm an app programmer with some illustration skills who is looking to make a dent in the digital board game/CCG world.
First off, go gentle with me as I'm not an out and out board-gamer but I like to dabble and have always found the game mechanics and illustration work of board game fascinating, with sci fi-based games my favourite theme.
My circle of friends from way back were heavily into Magic and Shadowrun so I know the absolute basics,but being an avid video gamer I leant towards the digital way of gaming.

Now here I am, a little beyond middle aged and finding myself growing away from the app/games world and leaning towards an area I'd always wanted to explore, traditional strategy games - put to touch screen.

Looking around the net I find a lot of interest in the idea *if done right* and just a little hostility when the idea wanders from the essence of the gameplay and goes all 'digital' and fancy for the sake of it.
To stick to the ideals and ethos of the traditional card or board game I'll mention that this project is based around Augmented Reality, something I've wanted to do to really capture the 'coffee table' environment and make sure that certain elements of the game, be it a die or actual cards are real and can interact with the computer generated aspects of the game. Keeping it real, as the kidz might saywhistle.

This being the first attempt I'm opting to keep things relatively simple, though being a non-board gamer as such means I may struggle with the terminology in explaining things, so anyone whose interest is piqued with this please jump aboard. All areas of help appreciated.

Will hopefully update this thread with any progress. Thanks for reading.

Chris B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Goatham.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!

This sounds interesting, subscribed for the updates. What kind of tips you are looking for? Do you have specific questions, or area of interest?
You only mentioned lack of experience with BG terminology, these might help:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Glossary
(Glossary on BGG page (this is a lot of stuff))

Dice Tower made some introductory vids of common terms:
https://youtu.be/A4uwr34mpGA
https://youtu.be/_m3AlL23pC8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Gabor, thanks for the welcome.

It's an ongoing project that I'm working away on little by little, other work stops me committing to it fully (I'll log in with updates when I can) and it's an area which is a little out of the zone for me, which makes it fun to learn but open to mistakes.

Overall it's the gameplay and the balance of that gameplay that concerns me a little, I'd like it to be more biased in the favour of traditional board or CCG games than modern mobile games but initially needs to be simple.
First off is the game itself, I've narrowed it down to a board game with Final Fantasy-type JRPG sequences, where you (or possibly your team) face the enemy on a horizontal battle area, something roughly like:

Being a 3D Augmented Reality (AR) environment it won't be as basic looking of course, and can benefit from camera movement for zoomed-in sequences etc but I'm aiming for the angled top-down view seen.

I'm then toying with mixing the gameplay with a core element of a board game, basically a VERY jazzed-up Snakes & Ladders where a dice roll moves you on and lands you on items or quick quests and battles etc.
The balance I refer to is how the gameplay is laid out and the target audience, between being a bit different but still appealing but not too novelty-based. I'm keeping it all rather simple as it's my first attempt and I plan on using it partly as a learning experience. So it may not interest the hardcore players here but anyone wanting to see an idea like this expand from a simplistic quick-play game up to an eventual more complex, stat-driven TB/Dungeon Crawler game are what I'm looking for.

It's very early days for this and I'm still finishing the basic prototype to show to people (probably have an interactive virtual pet or aquarium to show the basics functionality) rather than dive in and begin a full-on game requiring months of testing. So I plan to pick up little ideas and tips for when I'm ready to get a board game/CCG on the system.

So for starters, would a dice-roll game as described above work well? With the main battles being of the TB style in the image above.
Given it will be playable on AR it's better suited to short periods of play rather than hour-long epic games I'd like to add a card collecting element that is saved each time. These cards are used in-game...I'm thinking to be used in the end of level Boss fight.

So a summary: Dice roll board game, mainly based on chance; TB-Battles using attributes picked up from traversing the board and Boss fights using collectible cards also earnt from the board movement and from beating enemies.
Is this a goer? Anything similar in the world of board gaming I can use as a reference? Should I stick to novelty apps/virtual pets??cry

Thanks, any input much welcomed for my currently muddled mind!
Chris B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Goatham.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon crawler type games are usually very popular, Descent, with piles of expansions, or for a more JRpg look, Arcadia Quest is worth a look at. I'm not sure how dice mechanics can interact with AR. Scanning a card to play it could be an easier approach (at least more intuitive)
Will be the AR setting only an enhancement to the game (ie. will it be playable without it), or is it tied in the mechanisms somewhere? (i'm not sure if this question makes sense - think about Hearthstone. It cannot be played as a physical card game, because many game mechanics only make sense in a computer based virtual environment; not just the animation/sound effects, that are enhancing the play, but the actual events (like when a card makes other cards appear in your deck))
If you want to make a game, that is a hybrid of tabletop/video gaming, you have to make sure that the two parts are tied together at their core, instead of having an actual video game, that has parts on the table for some reason, or just a board game, that looks cooler if you watch it through phone/tablet camera.
I haven't got experience with augmented boardgames, but World of Yo-Ho uses the players cellphones as playing pieces, and handles/animates what happens - this might worth a look too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks once more for the tips. I'm still pressing on with this, ignore the large gaps between my posts as I get on with other things...I'm close to prototyping my idea now and am slowly narrowing down the over large bunch of ideas I have into practical ones.
Good Q about the AR as an enhancement...this is the part I'm labouring with a little as I'd like to make sure the AR environment is necessary, otherwise it's a case of 'why do I need all of this'. I like the idea of collectible cards and have a soft spot for card illustrations so my plan is to integrate such cards into the gameplay.
Will hopefully have more to help me explain in the next few posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.