Hide
15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Not using a potion you are forced to consume by a road event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
If we get a road event that forces us to consume one potion each and I want to avoid using a potion during the scenario do I have to not take any potions into the scenario?
At first level this doesn't matter, because whether or not I take a potion, I won't be able to use one during the scenario and might as well not take it. But for level three or higher, with multiple potions available, then do I have to not take any potions or can I take more than one and have the one consumed by the road event count as happening before the scenario, rather than during it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a battle goal thing?

Edit: There are spoilers about Battle Goals below, if you care about those kinds of spoilers. Very belated warnings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the section "Scenario Setup" this Situation is described:
"Players can then decide which items they would like to equip from the Collection of items they own"
This happens after the road Event but before the Scenario starts, right after battle Goals are chosen.
In other words: the consumed card doesn't need to be equipped in the next scenario so that you might end the scenario with 0 consumed items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so you’re fine. Great time to draw that (double-check!) battle goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
nvsg wrote:

In other words: the consumed card doesn't need to be equipped in the next scenario so that you might end the scenario with 0 consumed items.

That covers the case where I don't bring any potions. But at higher levels I might want to bring more than one to have the option to still use one after one has been consumed. The questions is, is the potion consumption triggered by the road event considered as happening before the scenario or doing it. This does not seem clear because the potion consumption is delayed rather than being resolved during the road event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
what's the wording on the battle Goal/ which battle goal are you talking about?

Without further information I'd say the potion is consumed before the scenario and not during it. It wouldn't make sense to equip it during the scenario unless you have the possibilty to refresh it during the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure those road events make you discard the potion, and if I remember that correctly there is no potion to equip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am fairly sure that Battle Goals are only considered from the time you draw them until the end of the scenario. Road Events are performed before the Battle Goal distribution phase, so I don't believe consuming a potion due to a Road Event will affect it if you got the no items BG.

Also, Road Events are not a part of the scenario, so it's before the scenario. The scenario only officially starts when everyone receives their BGs and the first room is set up, as well as any other relevant setup is performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
I am pretty sure those road events make you discard the potion, and if I remember that correctly there is no potion to equip.

I think there are different road events that have different effects.

Just going from memory of what I've ran into and what people have mentioned on the forums:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
- there is one event where someone buys a certain potion from you, in which case that item card is removed from your character entirely (and I think the consensus is that it goes back to the town store instead of being permanently removed from the game

- there is one event where you just aid a distressed traveller by sharing a potion with them. and the card says something about starting the scenario with one of your items consumed. in which case, the following would come into effect.

FAQ wrote:
Does consuming items during a road event make them unavailable during the scenario?
Yes.

What does “unavailable” mean regarding items consumed during road events?
You must equip the item into a slot, already consumed, but mechanics that allow you to refresh items can apply to the unavailable item

So that means that you HAVE to choose that item to equip into one of your equipment slots, but it starts out consumed.

Whether or not that counts as using an item in terms of battle goals, I don't know. But I believe there are battle goals on both ends of the spectrum: one for using items at least a certain number of times, and one for not using items at all (or less than a certain number of times, I can't remember). Of course, if road potions "count" for one of these types, they would have to "count" for the other type as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
May as well spoiler tag this, even though we're pretty deep into it already.

Purist: Use no items during the scenario.

Even if the letter of the rules said, "Road events happen as part of a scenario," the spirit of the goal suggests that voluntarily deciding to give up the advantages that items give you is the point. Taking away that option through an uninformed Road Event decision seems counter to the spirit of the game.

I say be happy that you lucked out with that Battle Goal, win the scenario,
and take your two checkmarks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
May as well spoiler tag this, even though we're pretty deep into it already.

Purist: Use no items during the scenario.

Even if the letter of the rules said, "Road events happen as part of a scenario," the spirit of the goal suggests that voluntarily deciding to give up the advantages that items give you is the point. Taking away that option through an uninformed Road Event decision seems counter to the spirit of the game.

I say be happy that you lucked out with that Battle Goal, win the scenario,
and take your two checkmarks.

that's how I would play it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrjcfoster mrjcfoster
msg tools
mb
When you are doing the road event, you don't know what your battle goal is going to be, so I don't understand the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:

Of course, if road potions "count" for one of these types, they would have to "count" for the other type as well.

This seems to be the essence of the question. The FAQ does indicate that you must take the item (I don't know if this is always possible, but haven't seen any where it wasn't so far) and that it starts as consumed. This sort of implies that it doesn't get used "during the scenario", but it would be nice to get a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I already had a ruling on this point - check the faq under road events.

You MUST equip the item consumed. You also don’t need to decide exactly what is consumed until you equip your items at the start of the scenario, at that point you decide what has been consumed. So, unless you have a way to refresh it during the scenario, you won’t meet the condition of the battle goal of it requires you to have no unconsumed items.

If it’s merely not to use any... you haven’t. You didn’t ‘use’ the item, you start with it ‘unavailable’. Just make sure you don’t equip anything with passive effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.