Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Definition of "activity" (a.k.a. is defense affected by Blindness?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blindness effect requires that a Save be made before any "activity", but i can find no definition of "activity". My instinctive understanding of the term is that any game effect which requires taking an Action (whether Free, Yellow Swirly, Combat, or Move [edit: or Reaction abilities]) is an "activity". However, that definition leaves out defense, as defense is not defined as one of the game's Actions.

In short, i'm looking for confirmation as to whether being Blinded affects one's ability to defend. Instinctively, being blinded should affect (or even eliminate) one's ability to actively defend (allowing the character to only use passive defense (Magic Shields and Armor Icons)). As written, however, i can find no rules specifying that defense is an "activity", i.e. no indication that defense is affected (in any way) by blindness.

:-?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your gut instinct is right. Just free, yellow, combat and ove actions are actions. Remember that you can retry free actions indefinitely though.

Defending is not impaired by being blinded.

Whether this makes sense thematically is another thing. Just look at how bashing works, or that magical force fields seem to appear between skin and armor (since armor is subtracted from hits before magical shields), or how being K.O.'ed let's you keep rolling defense dice, while not allowing to use armor value (lying on the floor obviously doesnt impair the ability to dodge blows but makes steel become paper until you get back on your feet).

Regards, Gorkar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorkar wrote:
Just free, yellow, combat and ove actions are actions.

Have you got a rules reference for that? (i agree with this definition, but i'm not a big fan of "rules via intuition".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exik Exik
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Gorkar wrote:
Just free, yellow, combat and ove actions are actions.

Have you got a rules reference for that? (i agree with this definition, but i'm not a big fan of "rules via intuition".)

Rules point 6 – there are listed all activities, Defense isn’t one of them. Defense (DEF per rules) is second stage of combat system not an activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 46, near bottom left: "If all Enemy cards in the deck are assigned (all enemy figures are in play at the same time), no more enemies can spawn on the battlefield, until at least one enemy dies. Revealing a normal Enemy Shadow in these conditions has no effect except to discard the Shadow token."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
Page 46, near bottom left: "If all Enemy cards in the deck are assigned (all enemy figures are in play at the same time), no more enemies can spawn on the battlefield, until at least one enemy dies. Revealing a normal Enemy Shadow in these conditions has no effect except to discard the Shadow token."

i think that was intended for thread 1926104, where i already pasted exactly that quote .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exik wrote:
Rules point 6 – there are listed all activities, Defense isn’t one of them. Defense (DEF per rules) is second stage of combat system not an activity.

Thank you . For completeness' sake i'm going to point out that Reaction and Passive abilities (listed in that section) specifically say "without requiring an activity", so those aren't affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exik Exik
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Exik wrote:

Thank you . For completeness' sake i'm going to point out that Reaction and Passive abilities (listed in that section) specifically say "without requiring an activity", so those aren't affected.

Good catch. So for instance Tristan can activate one for all power even while blinded?

One for all power (reaction, blue shield icon) – If target hero must defend against an enemy attack, you can move there, and defend that attack in its place.

I am asking because I had the exact situation. Tristan was blinded and I needed to activate that power. I thought I had to roll the save which failed and another hero got killed. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
Exik wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Exik wrote:

Good catch. So for instance Tristan can activate one for all power even while blinded?

One for all power (reaction, blue shield icon) – If target hero must defend against an enemy attack, you can move there, and defend that attack in its place.

I am asking because I had the exact situation. Tristan was blinded and I needed to activate that power. I thought I had to roll the save which failed and another hero got killed. shake

Blue shields and passive powers don't consume any activity.

I also ask for another acclaration.
Is blue shield reaction power obligated to be activated while passive power isn't?
Thank you muchs guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracan wrote:
Is blue shield reaction power obligated to be activated while passive power isn't?

AFAIK a character is never obligated to use his or own reaction ability. Page 24 says they "can" be activated, not "must" be activated, but the context of that text is somewhat limited, so that interpretation is up for debate.

Edit: it can't be an obligation because that would force characters to use it the first chance they could on every turn (e.g. the Cleric's reroll ability [edit: see response]), which is certainly not the intention. Similarly, it would force Tristan to defend someone else, and it is not reasonable to assume that he MUST defend someone once every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
caracan wrote:

Edit: it can't be an obligation because that would force characters to use it the first chance they could on every turn (e.g. the Cleric's reroll ability), which is certainly not the intention. Similarly, it would force Tristan to defend someone else, and it is not reasonable to assume that he MUST defend someone once every turn.

That's the point i looking for.
The obligation/need to activate a power.
By the way, to reinforce my cuestion "Divine aid" clerir's innate poder is passive, not reactive.
Thanks for answering my dilema or for opening a new debate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracan wrote:
By the way, to reinforce my cuestion "Divine aid" clerir's innate poder is passive, not reactive.

True, but he can only use it once per turn. Presumably, he gets to choose when, instead of being obligated to use it for the first roll made every turn. If he was forced to use it, he would never get to use it on a defense roll because an attack roll always preceeds a defense roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
caracan wrote:

True, but he can only use it once per turn. Presumably, he gets to choose when, instead of being obligated to use it for the first roll made every turn. If he was forced to use it, he would never get to use it on a defense roll because an attack roll always preceeds a defense roll.

In this line... Ecarus's white rose inner power "Taunt" [3] is blue shield reaction power.
I ask. Is reaction power forced to be activated?
In case of it isn't, then: wich is the substancial difference between passive and reactions powers?

Saludos amigos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracan wrote:
In this line... Ecarus's white rose inner power "Taunt" [3] is blue shield reaction power.
In case of it isn't, then: wich is the substancial difference between passive and reactions powers?

Some powers could probably be either with the same effect. Reaction are explicitly made to be used "out of turn" (when the character is not active), whereas Passive abilities are "always on". e.g. you cannot use most (any?) reaction abilities during your own turn because they (mostly) react to things which happen in other phases of the game. Passive abilities, e.g. the ability to reroll a die (granted by one of the Cloaks in the Stash), can be used at any time, including on your own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
caracan wrote:

Some powers could probably be either with the same effect. Reaction are explicitly made to be used "out of turn" (when the character is not active), whereas Passive abilities are "always on". e.g. you cannot use most (any?) reaction abilities during your own turn because they (mostly) react to things which happen in other phases of the game. Passive abilities, e.g. the ability to reroll a die (granted by one of the Cloaks in the Stash), can be used at any time, including on your own turn.

I see no difference on wording except " anytime" &"anytime out of hero's turn" wich means the same.

The only difference i found: in enemy section (pags 43,44) that reaction powers are always related with an incoming attack.

Saludos amigos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracan wrote:
I see no difference on wording except " anytime" &"anytime out of hero's turn" wich means the same.

Those don't mean the same thing: the second one means that it can't be used during the hero's own turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
caracan wrote:

Those don't mean the same thing: the second one means that it can't be used during the hero's own turn.

Correct, but... To practical effects both kind of powers need to meet conditions written on card in or out hero's turn. They can't be used in other way.
Yeah, there's a small diference, but not substancial to make them different.
Maybe the gameplay itself drivers you to use reaction powers as soon as posible always they are aviable by cooldown.

Saludos amigos
PD: correcting my (Edit: dictionary)corrector...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracan wrote:
Maybe the gameplay itself drivers you to use reaction powers as soon as posible always they are aviable by cooldown.

i can agree with that. They possibly could have been combined into a single type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
caracan wrote:

i can agree with that. They possibly could have been combined into a single type.

i take that back. i just stumbled across an example which wouldn't work if Passive and Reactive were combined into a single type:

That wouldn't work in a Reaction context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.