Subject: Amazing Rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I just wanted to recognize the amazing work done by whomever designed and wrote this rulebook. We have all played great games that obviously ignored readability, conciseness and clarity when it comes to the rulebook. Harvest's rulebook is one double-sided 8 x 11 sheet of paper and it includes many illustrations and examples. Tasty Minstrel Games should be proud of it's work here, not only for the rules, but the game is a gem as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic, since I know of at least 2 people complaining about the rulebook. Although I found it hard too read as well (too condensed in general), I decided to pick it anyway. I have not yet played it, but I hope it fits the "great game with bad rules" category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Interesting topic, since I know of at least 2 people complaining about the rulebook. Although I found it hard too read as well (too condensed in general), I decided to pick it anyway. I have not yet played it, but I hope it fits the "great game with bad rules" category.

If you pay close attention to the examples, I don't think you'll have a problem. I've heard some complaints over the rulebook, so I went ahead and made a FAQ. But overall, I think they did a great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarkoth wrote:
I just wanted to recognize the amazing work done by whomever designed and wrote this rulebook. We have all played great games that obviously ignored readability, conciseness and clarity when it comes to the rulebook. Harvest's rulebook is one double-sided 8 x 11 sheet of paper and it includes many illustrations and examples. Tasty Minstrel Games should be proud of it's work here, not only for the rules, but the game is a gem as well.

Thanks for the kind words!

There's usually a number of people involved in creating a rulebook. In this case, designer Trey Chambers wrote the original rules. I re-wrote them as development happened, and edited them as they were being laid out. Artist Rob Lundy laid out the rules and created the examples, and TMG's in-house graphic designer Adam McIver put on some finishing touches and made final changes.

Other people at TMG, such as Andy Van Zandt, weighed in on the editing process as well.

I'm glad the rulebook and the game have worked well for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:

I hope you enjoy the game!

I think the rulebook is pretty solid on this one, but if you have any specific questions, they may be answered in these forums already. If they're not, then post your questions and I'll be happy to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a non-native english speaker I also found the rule book a bit too condensed. It should e.g. state that the "well-plowed field" is considered a field, not a building. In general, there is more stuff that is not allowed and should be mentioned that way in the rule book. In our first game, we revealed a new building after one was bought, just because prior gaming experience made it feel natural for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Trezona
United States
Cutler Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
I don’t think the rule book could of been any easier to understand. It’s great to have a rule book that isn’t cluttered with a bunch of nonsense like most other rule books where rules are just are just being repeated in different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I thought the rulebook was OK but it has a few ambiguities/inconsistencies that bugged me. Here's one:

Quote:

Plant
Pay fertilizer equal to the star value of a
seed or crop in your supply to plant that
seed or crop. Take that chit and place it
(crop side up) in one of your fields.
Each field has 4 spaces. Small crops (snap
peas, scarrots, and phantom peppers) take
up 1 space, while big crops (plumpkins
and rockali) take up 2 spaces.
You may plant as many seeds or crops
as you can afford and have space for in
your fields.

Quote:

Tend
Pay water equal to the star value of a
crop to grow 1 new crop of that type in
the same field. Take a crop chit from the
supply and add it to that field. You may
tend as many crops as you can afford
and have space for in your fields. You
may tend the same field multiple times
in the same action, paying the required
water each time. You may also tend
multiple fields in one action.

With tend it is unambiguous you can tend multiple crops in one action. With plant I can interpret either way whether I can plant multiple seeds or crops in one action--partly because of the inconsistency with how tend is worded. That last sentence of the plant action would be unambiguous if it said:

Quote:
In one action, you may plant as many seeds or crops
as you can afford and have space for in
your fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.