Popular Tags: [View All]
Se Ven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

In a thread a while ago, it was announced that a first expansion was in the works and was originally going to be released at Essen 2017. Obviously that didn’t happen, so I was wondering if anyone had seen any more information about this? Note that this is separate to the mini islands expansion that has arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, do you think the game needs an expansion? I have played the game some 20 times now and have not even opened packs B & C. I have not yet played all professions and have not tried out each strategy. There simply is so much in the base box...

I can see a deck of expansion cards (for this or, more likely, Nusfjord. Both Cavernas are in need of expansions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Instagram - @villagemeeple
badge
Instagram - @villagemeeple
mbmbmbmbmb
some new islands were released at Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Se314en wrote:
Note that this is separate to the mini islands expansion that has arrived.

I think he knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you think the game needs an expansion?

Yes, the game needs something to make animals better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
DaMaysta wrote:

Any update on the bigger Norway expansion? I couldn't find any further details during and after the Spiel 2017. Only about the mini expansion.

We are working on a bigger expansion and it is scheduled as an Essen 2018 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you think the game needs an expansion?

Yes, the game needs something to make animals better.

There's a few things I'd hope to see in an expansion. A way to make animals a bit better is one. Perhaps something with occupations. (I don't really mind the issue where you can draw useless occupations, but I also wouldn't be opposed to some "fix" for it). The game continues to need more exploration boards. In a 4 player game, even with 6 it still is a bit tight with the early game focusing heavily on grabbing boards. (Especially since Faroe is still just weak).

Luckily, as was mentioned below they are working on a sizeable expansion for Essen 2018 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Se Ven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
DaMaysta wrote:

Any update on the bigger Norway expansion? I couldn't find any further details during and after the Spiel 2017. Only about the mini expansion.

We are working on a bigger expansion and it is scheduled as an Essen 2018 release.

Ah great, that’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I must have missed that thread.

AernoutMJC wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you think the game needs an expansion? ...

I can see a deck of expansion cards (for this or, more likely, Nusfjord. Both Cavernas are in need of expansions, though.

Does AFfO need an expansion, no. But surely the point of any expansion is to provide more for anyone who wants more. With that being said, I’d definitely enjoy an expansion for Odin. Part of the fun for me with his game is how many choices I can potentially make. Every game feels like a saga due to all the different things I get to do. So adding even more to do, particularly regarding the animals like Rainor mentioned, would make this game even more fun for me. I don’t think it needs more occupations, (like you said, there are plenty) so I’d rather see new actions and new ideas added to the game, as in mentioned in that original thread I linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that might be interesting in an expansion would be to give variable effects for Emigration. Either random or selected, but something other than points - maybe improved income, a big bonus good, or an occupation-like ability, for emigrating to certain destinations. Maybe even add some risk to emigration?

Not saying Emigration is too strong or anything. Just looking for some spice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bowser
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
One thing that might be interesting in an expansion would be to give variable effects for Emigration. Either random or selected, but something other than points - maybe improved income, a big bonus good, or an occupation-like ability, for emigrating to certain destinations. Maybe even add some risk to emigration?

Not saying Emigration is too strong or anything. Just looking for some spice.

That would be cool. Perhaps the option to get fewer points in exchange for some other benefit. This could make emigration an option early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be on people’s “wish list” for an expansion?

For me I’d like a 5th player, another viable strategy stream (beyond whaling or plundering), and I’d like to see some way of “selling” or ditching employment cards and weapons cards that don’t fit your strategy.

I do love this game and it’s unlike anything else I own... but every time I’ve tried a strategy focussed on Breeding or Craftibg I’ve come second/third and every time I’ve tried something completely off the wall it’s been disastrous!! It seems quite narrow in that whaling or plundering are the only reliable routes to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This is what was posted in a different thread by some guy. Not sure what authority he had in the matter but it was highly upvoted.

The first expansion (-> Norway) will come in autum 2017 to the fairy in Essen (Germany). We are developping it with new pieces (grey-pieces, pigs, horses,...), new islands (and cities with harbours), new buildings and a renewed plan with a special backside-use for 1-3 players. There will come new action options (like butchering animals and a new column for the last action) and variants (like a faster version without card-effects and a competitive element). More details and informations will come later.
But there will be no new cards in the first expansion (200 cards in the basic game is vast enough for the moment). The ideas would be enough for also a second and third expansion (new homeplan, 5th player, pushstart with 5 rounds, swedish expansion to the east,...), but that depends on the number of interested fans and their wishes then too ;-)

As to whether an expansion is needed or not, I always welcome more content to a game. Cities and harbours on islands sound like cool addition. I've wanted there to be more buildings for awhile, as well as the animal improvements. I love flexibility in the grey pieces too. Even alternate home boards would shake things up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhatAChamp wrote:
This is what was posted in a different thread by some guy. Not sure what authority he had in the matter but it was highly upvoted.

The first expansion (-> Norway) will come in autum 2017 to the fairy in Essen (Germany). We are developping it with new pieces (grey-pieces, pigs, horses,...), new islands (and cities with harbours), new buildings and a renewed plan with a special backside-use for 1-3 players. There will come new action options (like butchering animals and a new column for the last action) and variants (like a faster version without card-effects and a competitive element). More details and informations will come later.
But there will be no new cards in the first expansion (200 cards in the basic game is vast enough for the moment). The ideas would be enough for also a second and third expansion (new homeplan, 5th player, pushstart with 5 rounds, swedish expansion to the east,...), but that depends on the number of interested fans and their wishes then too ;-)

As to whether an expansion is needed or not, I always welcome more content to a game. Cities and harbours on islands sound like cool addition. I've wanted there to be more buildings for awhile, as well as the animal improvements. I love flexibility in the grey pieces too. Even alternate home boards would shake things up a bit.

Link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That guy (Gernot Kopke) is the lead playtester for A Feast for Odin and designer of the expansions. (You will note he is credited for TdF, Lofoten and Orkney).

Therefore...he's the most authoritative subject on the matter you will get. As is obvious at this point, the expansion was not made ready in time for Essen 2017, and to my knowledge the plan is currently to have it ready for Essen 2018. Many of the elements he listed are in the works for the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Link?

The link the thread in question is provided by the OP of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
grant5 wrote:

Link?

LOL, this serpent is eating its own tail. That was the original post that spawned this thread. The info was so old that this thread was asking for any new updates. Then the original quote was given as a reply. But it was such an old quote I forgot about it, and thought it was something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Ranior wrote:
grant5 wrote:

Link?

LOL, this serpent is eating its own tail. That was the original post that spawned this thread. The info was so old that this thread was asking for any new updates. Then the original quote was given as a reply. But it was such an old quote I forgot about it, and thought it was something new.

Here's link for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Crowe
Canada
flag msg tools
I wouldn't mind seeing a selection of home boards &
exploration boards. Exploration boards would be more
complicated in start side/flip side & the order of
flipping while integrating with the previous.

Or - Just make a different Faroe Island, Bear i.e.
all current island names to match the turning phase
& design with new layouts & stuff accordingly.
New home boards could be easier done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have enough table space for aFfO expansions but I still want them.

I think variable home boards would be cool. Each with its own unique layout and rewards for even more start variability.

Buildings are the part of the game I use the least since I find them the least exciting and just kind of forget about them. If they can make those a little more interesting I'm totally on board. Buildings that give you weapons, occupations, livestock as rewards or let you do special actions? I don't know.

My one concern with added buildings and islands is that it won't mesh with the icons of the main board but it looks like there will be a new board in the expansion so hopefully they're taking those sorts of things into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.