Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QFFR2M/?tag=delt-20&m=ATVPDKIK...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: AMAZON the Quest for El Dorado $19.99 free prime ship
Initial impressions for this game seemed to indicate Knizia phoned this one in. It wasn't until BoardGameGeekTV's GameNight! play-through, and their subsequent praises at the end of that episode and their year-end review, that it hit my radar.

We've played it only a few times now, and only the starting setup, but this game already looks like an evergreen in our collection. We have many, many games awaiting first-plays, and the family keeps asking for this one.

Great game, great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! I've been on the fence about this game and almost made a horribly unbalanced trade for it last week. For $20,it's a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
I'm a weasel!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbed it. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game. Amazing deal at 20.

I would buy many to buy as gifts
Too bad I'm in Canada. 😥

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great deal. What are the chances this is a counterfeit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
Great deal. What are the chances this is a counterfeit?

Shipped and sold by Amazon, so slim to none.

Most of the Amazon counterfeit problem is with 3rd party, non prime sellers. Your payment gets processed by Amazon, but its basically eBay; caveat emptor.

The game is part of a Ravensburger deal of the day. Lots of puzzles, but the only other games are Bugs in the Kitchen for $15 and Castles of Burgundy for $23, which is $3 more than its typical "Deal of the Day" price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

really think my family would enjoy that game. sad I missed the deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C.
United States
Puyallup
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could pop back up. Been waiting for this price to try it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
ScottC1s wrote:

Funky Disco wrote:
soblue

Check again in a few hours. Sold out before the west coast wakes up usually means they are metering stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Davis
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
ScottC1s wrote:

Funky Disco wrote:
soblue

Check again in a few hours. Sold out before the west coast wakes up usually means they are metering stock.

I doubt they care who buys. I find this highly unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Rahhali
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't realize Amazon's Deal of the Day could die so fast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it on an order yesterday even though I didn't need it for free shipping, so you're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good deal on this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Well they did add Labyrinth for $16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scohr Dark
msg tools
How does this compare to Clank? Been tempted to get this game but have held up on it because I already own Clank (seems similar with deck building and racing to certain areas)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best summary of the game play, and feeling for how the game can still be fun and challenging even though it fits squarely in the "family game" category, is this review/preview by BGG's Eric Martin:

https://youtu.be/IgHv4ZyQtMM

One more quickie point...Rahdo (in his final thoughts video) mentioned that he thought this game should have won the Spiel des Jahres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Scohr wrote:
How does this compare to Clank? Been tempted to get this game but have held up on it because I already own Clank (seems similar with deck building and racing to certain areas)

I grabbed a copy, breaking my self imposed deck builder ban. Fewer mechanisms, no player elimination. Similar while being simpler, but its supposed to be family weight. I think El Dorado will make a great laid back game, while also being an excellent "my first deck builder" gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulie Christenson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Scohr wrote:

I have only played Clank once, but I think this is better. It is a more meaty and more elegant design. That being said, I do think they are quite similar. Maybe snag this for a friend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a deal... I definitely paid more than this for the game. It's a great one. My friends & I love it. A fun combo deck-builder racing game that is a huge blast and fun due to the variable set-ups. It is one of those games where if an expansion comes out, it is pretty much an insta-buy, but there's a very solid amount of replayability right in the box.

Oh and I do have Clank too - Clank is great, and I love it as well. Clank also has a racing component, but you don't have to win the race to win. There are alternative paths. The 'clank' aspect is also really thrilling. The new companion app adds a really cool dynamic too.... as well as the sunken treasure map, which is a lot of fun. It feels a little more like a classic deck builder with a dungeon/dragon twist.

El Dorado, on the other hand, is a pure race, but it has a lot more luck-mitigation. You can hold on to cards instead of playing them between rounds (but your hand limit is small so the cost is high). Also, the availability of cards for purchase is very even... everyone roughly has the same opportunities. There's different racing strategies possible - you might be racing ahead, or you might be hanging back, perfecting the deck, and then rushing ahead.. it's really fun and plays fast. It's the opposite of clank - a racing game with a deck builder twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Troyan
United States
Elkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And although its dead on amazon for $19.99, its only $22.79 over at MM. Still a solid price. And with customer holds, just let it sit til you order over $100 for free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Casillas
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
Scohr wrote:

Everyone in my family loves Clank. We’ve played it many times, and even got the expansion. El Dorado, on the other hand, I traded away after only one play. It was just too basic and uninteresting to us. That said, it’s obvious a lot of people like it, so I doubt you would be disappointed. It just fell flat with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scohr Dark
msg tools
Cool thanks for the opinions, I'll keep an eye out for another deal then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ToCa81 wrote:
Scohr wrote:

Everyone in my family loves Clank. We’ve played it many times, and even got the expansion. El Dorado, on the other hand, I traded away after only one play. It was just too basic and uninteresting to us. That said, it’s obvious a lot of people like it, so I doubt you would be disappointed. It just fell flat with my group.

I asked Rahdo the same question during a live Q&A, and he said he preferred El Dorado because building your deck was more strategic. I think it essentially depends on whether you like Dominion-style deck-building games in which all players have equal access to the cards you can purchase or whether you like Ascension-style deck-building games in which players have randomized access to a constantly changng line-up of cards from which to purchase.

Fwiw, I own Clank! and Clank! In! Space!, but I don't own El Dorado. I like Clank! In! Space! more than Clank!, personally. Clank! In! Space! has more interesting card effects, more paths to victory, and more ways to cull your deck. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.