10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Under Siege rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hopefully I'm remembering this correctly as I don't have my campaign book to hand.

So tonight I'll be running Story Mission 2 (campaign mission 3, the last mission was the one where they earned Luke Skywalker, Homecoming iirc).

Looking at the set up it looks like the Imperials start with a huge amount of Threat and can, subsequently, get Vader out.

Now on top of that, the rules seem to suggest that, if they want to include Luke, for this mission I get bonus threat equal to his cost. So that would be 19 Threat if correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Looking at the set up it looks like the Imperials start with a huge amount of Threat and can, subsequently, get Vader out.

I'm not sure where you get that. There are only three initial groups, and there is no extra threat from setup.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Also, the 'free' Vader comes quite late and you need to figure out how to get him to the rebels to matter at all.

One of my plays: PBF Under Siege.

If the rebels take Luke as an ally, you get the corresponding amount of threat and can perform an optional deployment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think i've read this wrong. The second story mission should be a New Threat. I don't know why i thought it was Under siege.

That could have been disastrous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Rebels won Aftermath (the first mission), you are supposed to play A New Threat now. If they lost Aftermath, you are supposed to play Under Siege. Either way, you only play one of those two.

None of these missions give bonus threat at the beginning of the mission. Story missions, as a rule, do not give bonus threat, contrary to side missions.

In the case of bonus threat, the sequence is like this:

- You (as the IP) deploy your initial units.
- You gain additional threat (usually twice the threat level).
- You perform an optional deployment, keeping any threat not spent.
- The rebels deploy and decide on whether to bring an ally.
- If an ally is brought, you gain its value in threat. Any threat above 20 is lost.
- You perform an optional deployment, keeping any threat not spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I can't find a reference for that anywhere in these rules - where does it say i get additional threat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
I can't find a reference for that anywhere in these rules - where does it say i get additional threat?

Threat counter starts at 0. If the mission has Special Setup:, it can give you mb according to twice the threat level (or any other amount). Just follow the setup instructions and appreciate the difference between mb and the threat level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Just follow the setup instructions and appreciate the difference between mb and the threat level.

Great point; I was playing Twin Shadows recently (first time through), and it was my wife's first time taking the role of the imperial. There was a mission where I had to get past a door, which had a health of "threat level". She had been saving her threat the whole game, so when I got to the door she claimed that it had a health of 18 (it should have been only 4)! I did not think to question her, since we had never played that mission before. It took quite a number of shots to get past it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry got confused

The generate additional threat/optional deployment only happens if the setup says so, and you otherwise won't get an optional deployment unless an ally is deployed, such as Luke.

Also, presumably optional deployments can only come from open groups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Reserved groups can only be deployed by mission rules.

During an optional deployment you can deploy as many of the deployment groups from your hand as you want and can pay the cost for, including 0. Also, you can also reinforce figures during any optional deployment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks.

I get confused reading FFG rules these days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.