Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31» Forums » General

Subject: Best House Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A P
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been looking at getting this game but from what I've read there are some balance and gameplay issues that require some tweaking of the rules. I've seen different suggestions like limiting table talk about cards, increasing blood tests, or forcing Things to sabotage missions.

For those who've tried some house rules, can you share what has worked best for you? I love the theme of this game but I'm hesitant to buy it if the gameplay isn't enjoyable for everyone in the group.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Bronson
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aplawiuk wrote:
I've been looking at getting this game but from what I've read there are some balance and gameplay issues that require some tweaking of the rules. I've seen different suggestions like limiting table talk about cards, increasing blood tests, or forcing Things to sabotage missions.

For those who've tried some house rules, can you share what has worked best for you? I love the theme of this game but I'm hesitant to buy it if the gameplay isn't enjoyable for everyone in the group.

Thanks!


Limiting table talk has been helpful. Rather than stating EXACTLY which card(s) you are playing we say, "I can help." or "I can't help."

I have also opened up the Blood Sample deck. Depending on the number of players I have removed 1 or 2 Imitation cards. If there is only a general Blood Sample deck, someone may or may not be an Imitation in the first round. It adds more mystery instead of knowing for sure there is an imitation. This has helped both imitations and humans because of the added mystery. If there isn't an imitation, it allows the humans more time to make headway. If there is an imitation, it allows the imitation to be hidden and use more strategy.

No major tweaks at all and it's helped out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Canada
flag msg tools
SpaceMind wrote:
Limiting table talk has been helpful. Rather than stating EXACTLY which card(s) you are playing we say, "I can help." or "I can't help."

I have also opened up the Blood Sample deck. Depending on the number of players I have removed 1 or 2 Imitation cards. If there is only a general Blood Sample deck, someone may or may not be an Imitation in the first round. It adds more mystery instead of knowing for sure there is an imitation. This has helped both imitations and humans because of the added mystery. If there isn't an imitation, it allows the humans more time to make headway. If there is an imitation, it allows the imitation to be hidden and use more strategy.

No major tweaks at all and it's helped out.


Ok, so for a 6 player game instead of dealing out 5 human cards and 1 imitation to start the game you'd deal out 6 cards from a deck of 10 humans and 2 imitations? And then just use the remaining cards as your blood sample deck for the remainder of the game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Bronson
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aplawiuk wrote:
SpaceMind wrote:
Limiting table talk has been helpful. Rather than stating EXACTLY which card(s) you are playing we say, "I can help." or "I can't help."

I have also opened up the Blood Sample deck. Depending on the number of players I have removed 1 or 2 Imitation cards. If there is only a general Blood Sample deck, someone may or may not be an Imitation in the first round. It adds more mystery instead of knowing for sure there is an imitation. This has helped both imitations and humans because of the added mystery. If there isn't an imitation, it allows the humans more time to make headway. If there is an imitation, it allows the imitation to be hidden and use more strategy.

No major tweaks at all and it's helped out.


Ok, so for a 6 player game instead of dealing out 5 human cards and 1 imitation to start the game you'd deal out 6 cards from a deck of 10 humans and 2 imitations? And then just use the remaining cards as your blood sample deck for the remainder of the game?


Yep, exactly
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.