10 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: How many points do You get? And problem with second round... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
mb
Hi,
We play only 4-players and last time I got about 120 points(i have won that game). Do You think that this is a good result?

One more thing. We have a problem with second round. Almost always we don't have nothing to do (beacuse of low income). In next rounds it's far more better, but in the second we almost pass after one tour. Do You have the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kabika wrote:
Hi,
We play only 4-players and last time I got about 120 points(i have won that game). Do You think that this is a good result?

One more thing. We have a problem with second round. Almost always we don't have nothing to do (beacuse of low income). In next rounds it's far more better, but in the second we almost pass after one tour. Do You have the same?

I am FAR from an expert, but my winning scores have been between 120-ish and 140-something, I think.

As for the second round issue, I think you might need to be more careful about which buildings you have out (e.g. advancing your mines may not be best, if you're going to need ore in the next round), and also consider getting tech tiles, boosters, and/or advancement on a track that will give you more income.

edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
120 vp is a good result for a beginner. I think the average regular player score might be 160-180 with better players averaging over 180.

The 2nd round is usually the lightest as there hasn't been enough time for your engine to crank up. I'd say if you have at least 3 moves in the 2nd round, that's ok. I've had a couple of Terra Mystica games where I have actually just passed out of the 2nd round without even taking a move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Michael said, plan carefully in the first round so that you will have enough income in the second round to take a few actions. Consider the selection of available round booster tiles as you plan your actions, as they also provide income.

Also, don't be shy about discarding one or two power tokens to get enough power to take a power action in the second round. There are enough ways to gain power tokens in this game, so losing one or two is not a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overextending yourself with buildings is also a challenge for round two with Terra Mystica.

Build less in round one or plan to be poor round two. There might be some other ways to mitigate the challenge.

e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane F
msg tools
mb
I've certainly had light second rounds, usually when I rush PI first round for some reason or am trying to rush an advanced tech for scoring (although a research lab open is gonna be pretty light, too, depending). You definitely want it to be planned, though.

120 is a good 4p score when you're still learning. After some more games you'll probably be in the 150-200 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boris p
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Since I try to increase the ore income continuously and strictly I land regularly at 140+. This is a basic guideline where there are probably many exceptions to get more out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Shek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: round 2 issue

One of my preferred openings in Round 1 now is to ensure I have 4 knowledge to spend in Round 2. I think it allows for flexibility.

Using a generic faction (with +1K base income) as example, building a RL (+1K income), then take +1K+1c tech tile, and move up on the +1K income track. I am then guaranteed to advance on research at least once every round. Then on R2, the 4K allows you to move up on GF/ Nav/ AI/ Terraforming as needed. It's not an exciting opening, but sometimes it will pay off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gaumond
Canada
flag msg tools
lscrock wrote:
Re: round 2 issue

One of my preferred openings in Round 1 now is to ensure I have 4 knowledge to spend in Round 2. I think it allows for flexibility.

Using a generic faction (with +1K base income) as example, building a RL (+1K income), then take +1K+1c tech tile, and move up on the +1K income track. I am then guaranteed to advance on research at least once every round. Then on R2, the 4K allows you to move up on GF/ Nav/ AI/ Terraforming as needed. It's not an exciting opening, but sometimes it will pay off.

The more I play the game, the more I'm starting to play this way too. I used to think you need to get to step 2 of the navigation track quickly to be able to reach other planets faster, but now I delay it and try to get 4K income first. The only time I do not go for it is when I'm playing Firaks (rather go up the resources income track) and Geoden (they get K after PI, which I try to open with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
I wanted to echo rushing knowledge and further emphasize that in the absence of anything better to do that I will continue to push up on knowledge as it ensures end game points. I will say that it is fairly hard to get more than 6k income early without hurting your scoring potential in other areas though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.