Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is going to be a work in progress sort of thing, so I may or may not like any of the ideas that I come up with. I'm going to post all the outfits in the second post, to make edits and keep the material handy. I appreciate all feedback and suggestions for other new outfits. However fair warning that 90% of the ideas that I hear for new outfits sound either broken or overly complicated. So keep try to keep it simple, but think outside of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've taken a shot (pun intended) at Ion Cannons about 3 times, and no version really worked or felt good. But I'm not a quitter.

----------------------------------------------------
Ion Cannon
It uses a two square tile, like the RK5 or a Relic. It has a single activation spot.

The Ion Cannon deals 1d8 damage, that can be blocked by shields as normal. If any damage is unblocked by the shield it will deal damage to the ship as normal.

Whether a ship used shields or not, and irrespective of how much damage the ship incurred by the blast, that ship now has a penalty to all shield rolls equal to the original damage roll.

Place Ice Damage beside the Bounty area to indicate this penalty. This penalty applies to all future shield rolls (like a piercer mod) made by that player until the end of that player's turn.
----------------------------------------------------

I don't know if it should stack with a piercer mod on a weapon, although I see no reason why the Ion Cannon couldn't have a piercer to affect the damage it is dealing.

Maybe the penalty shouldn't be the full die roll? Instead Having it be the damage that gets through. Then a piercer would make even more sense for them, and would sort of act as a Tier 2 for this outfit, which I don't plan to make. Maybe only the damage that is blocked should be the penalty, and the damage that gets through just does damage?

More to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Martino
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few I thought of a few weeks ago, but I'm too busy/untalented enough to make them.

Tractor beam/Grappling Hook: pull in parts/treasure/items from (ie) 1-2 hexes away, even through various debris fields, and/or able to somehow hold another ship so you can attack them (or something along those lines. Maybe reduce the first movement roll by them by x amount, or 1dx amount?)

Ion Cannon: Effects either shields or engines or weapons or reduces available energy

Stealth: Allows you to remove "line of sight" negating an attack. Can be declared after the attack is rolled. Fairly powerful, so it uses up 2 energy. I'm not too fond of this outfit, but I thought that I'd throw it out there anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas! I would love to see another expansion with further outfits. The possibilities are endless with this game.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tractor/Grapple is something I am thinking about too, the primary problem is how it treads on Mag Harpoon. However, I have been thinking that now that ships will have multiple power choices, this is a safer area to wade into. I'm still going to take it slow, I certainly want to see how these new powers are implemented.

I'm also thinking about some powerful ones with new/odd shapes that will be hard to fit in ships, but that will take a lot of playtesting, so we'll see if that idea pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
However, I have been thinking that now that ships will have multiple power choices,

Would you explain this? I some how must have missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalv
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
aleuhe wrote:
Calinor wrote:
However, I have been thinking that now that ships will have multiple power choices,

Would you explain this? I some how must have missed it.

There will be a new kickstarter by the end of the month, including a new mini expansion that adds missions and new powers for each ship.

Xia: Missions and Powers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been toying around with the idea of a mining laser outfit. The idea was that it either gave you an additional cube OR a bonus to your roll. The trade off of course is that it would require an activation marker to turn on. Not sure which piece to use or what exactly the bonus should be yet, but that is part of the fun or testing out new things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberfab wrote:
A few I thought of a few weeks ago, but I'm too busy/untalented enough to make them. :)

Ion Cannon: Effects either shields or engines or weapons or reduces available energy

Stealth: Allows you to remove "line of sight" negating an attack. Can be declared after the attack is rolled. Fairly powerful, so it uses up 2 energy. I'm not too fond of this outfit, but I thought that I'd throw it out there anyway.

I especially like these two.

An ion cannon outfit might simply drain energy. Alternatively, you could make it into an outfit that steals energy and passes some on to you.

For a cloaking device, maybe you have to arm it, spend 1 energy and roll d20 (succeed on 11-20). This makes it something you'd use when you're desperate. Additionally or alternatively you could spend 1 energy and a use space on an NPC turn to have the Enforcer or Scoundrel "forget" you for that round and go to the next available target. Give it only 1 or 2 use spaces tops.

Pure speculation, I'm thinking out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different directions for the Ion Cannon, depending on the intention:

-Any Damage Dealt has to be applied to Shields
- Also potentially include engines.

-Damage Dealt is taken away from energy reserves instead of damaging the ship.

I say this only because requiring people to track something specifically not on their ship already is probabaly a bit more complicated than needed, especially between multiple turns and attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id treat stealth alot like cloak. Its something you have to prepare and cant put up on the fly. You roll it like a power, but it consumes quite a bit of extra energy on top of the marker.

Granted thats the big thing..something that game changing..is waaaay better as a ship power.

Drammattex wrote:
Uberfab wrote:
A few I thought of a few weeks ago, but I'm too busy/untalented enough to make them.

I especially like these two.

An ion cannon outfit might simply drain energy. Alternatively, you could make it into an outfit that steals energy and passes some on to you.

For a cloaking device, maybe you have to arm it, spend 1 energy and roll d20 (succeed on 11-20). This makes it something you'd use when you're desperate. Additionally or alternatively you could spend 1 energy and a use space on an NPC turn to have the Enforcer or Scoundrel "forget" you for that round and go to the next available target. Give it only 1 or 2 use spaces tops.

Pure speculation, I'm thinking out loud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Different directions for the Ion Cannon, depending on the intention:

-Any Damage Dealt has to be applied to Shields
My original attempt at an Ion Cannon did low damage, but allowed you to target an outfit... it was busted AF.

Quote:
-Damage Dealt is taken away from energy reserves instead of damaging the ship.
This is a good idea, but it probably needs to be its own outfit. I can envision an EMP torpedo, and an Energy Siphon, as separate outfits. The EMP torpedo doing twice as much avg damage, but the Energy Siphon actually transfering that energy back to you.

I already believe that the Ion Cannon I'm working on may be slightly overpowered, and adding variable abilities to anything just makes it more powerful. So it's easiest to laser focus each outfit to do exactly one thing.

That's all what playtesting is for.
Quote:
I say this only because requiring people to track something specifically not on their ship already is probabaly a bit more complicated than needed, especially between multiple turns and attacks.
This is a good argument that I agree and disagree with. Any extra bookwork should always be evaluated harshly. The design intention of my Ion Cannon is to promote teaming up, hopefully on the point leader, or the most annoying player... and if not that, at least it works throughout the targets turn, so Asteroid Fields are definitely not safe for them.

I'm not sure I'm executing the mechanic perfectly, and I'm creating a category of record keeping on the shipmat, which isn't ideal... but I don't know how to reconcile the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Place Ice Damage beside the Bounty area to indicate this penalty. This penalty applies to all future shield rolls (like a piercer mod) made by that player until the end of that player's turn.

An interesting idea. Would the damage be repairable just like other ice damage? If no, the Ion Cannon may be too powerful a weapon; taking up only 2 cargo spaces, a ship could equip multiple ion cannons with multiple stacked piercer mods...a shield crusher!

What about your idea about different warhead types for missile outfits? I made "Missile Ammo" squares, but haven't play-tested it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.