Western Legends» Forums » General

Subject: Opinions on an old west themed game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Right now I am conflicted about backing this, or going all out and getting Shadows of Brimstone, with expansions and extras, little by little. I know the differences in theme, supernatural vs historic, but I found that Flying Frog sure knows story-telling and attention to detail. I love the 'Drifter' character of SOB, but I also love WL 'Billy'. I am partial to campaign play and Rpg elements, but find myself drawn to the poker town/ bandit filled hills here as well. Opinions are most definitely welcomed as I am at odds, Shadows is also quite pricey now, because I never got a chance to back it. Thanks in advance- Mark K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I didn't have Xia, I would have dove right in and pledged on Western Legends. I think theme wise, Western Legends edges out Brimstone. Brimstone is more of a skirmish game with a Lovecraft theme using the Old West as a plot rather than a true Western experience. Western Legends is more in line with the theme with having actions that are synonymous with the Old West; robbing banks, gambling, cattle rustling, etc.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomtown: Reloaded devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though choice with Brimstone or this. Not sure what I´d do, or wait..I am backing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Appreciate the reply. That is kind of my thoughts too, my dilemma is that i'm a sucker for miniatures games. Chalk it up to OLD school D&D, and I love the model painting, gets me more character involved. The 'True to Form' is my biggest draw to this game, but I like the unknown as well. I suppose with some in-house modification, I could string out a campaign story with Legends? - Thanks for the input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Unh-huh, it is a tough one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark you are not alone. I own both Shadows of Brimstone and Xia: Legends of a Drift System and I really want to back this game terribly because I absolutely love westerns but I keep hesitating. There are a bunch of other Kickstarters that I want to back right now as well so I'm really stumped on how to appropriate my limited gaming budget.

I kind of think of Western Legends as a board game that will get pulled out and played regularly then put back on the shelf. SOB is more of a rabbit hole to go down. There is so much content and the miniatures have to be assembled and almost demand to be painted so its more of a commitment and hobby in and of itself. So if you really enjoy assembling and painting minis and having tons of stuff to expand your game SOB might be the better choice. If you don't have a ton of time for that kind of stuff and play games with non-gamers more often then Western Legends is probably the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Developer chiming in, so take this with a grain of salt

SoB is more of a campaign-style dungeon crawler set in the weird west. Western Legends is a one session game where players will quickly develop their character and strategy toward a victory. The mechanisms are very different in the two games. As there are very few sandbox games and many dudes on a map type games, I feel WL offers something different and dare-I-say unique in game play.

As campaign games typically have linear directed play, wherein you are largely fighting something and making your character better, WL has a lot of diverse options. You could never fight. You can choose which side of the law to uphold, or neither. While it doesn't have the long-session campaign aspect, I have personally played this game over 100 times and each time something new happens every game. Some decision, story card, way players behave. It's pretty awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gribble
United States
Moultrie
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hey Mark, can't really tell you what to do, especially since the theme and gameplay are so different, but for me Western Legends is a must back game. At $60 you get the full game + an expansion worth of extra content. This game looks really polished both in the gameplay mechanics and the art & production value and it looks like it will be a lot of fun to play.I think it will be fairly easy to get a group together for it even people who aren't crazy about the theme. I think WL will probably be easier to bring to the table with more folks than SOB (although SOB has solo which is a nice addition).

My advice would be to back WL now. If SOB comes down in price between now and then, or your realize you simply like SOB better, you should be able to sell WW for a decent mark up. On the other hand you have a pretty narrow window to back WW so if you miss it it's gone. (also I want people to back it so I get more stretch goals)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered Gunman's Law off of Drivethru RPG and am currently playing a solo campaign with Coyote Trail rpg and the 5 Boot Hill modules starting with Mad Mesa, been pretty fun!

I too am looking for a wild west campaign type dungeon crawler aside from Shadows , which I own much stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason T
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have Xia and I am backing Western Legends.
The only thing Xia and WL have in common is that they are both sandbox games. The differences are obvious to me, so it was a no-brainer to back it instantly.
It's like comparing Imperial Assault to Gloomhaven. They are both dungeon crawlers, but very different at playing. And yes, I own them both as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you all so much for taking the time explaining the ins-and-outs of both. You guys are great! I am getting partial to this title. First, it seems modular enough that scenarios can be made in-house. And Second, I won't have to take out a mortgage loan to keep it going. Some future expansions, with card sets, and more maps, scenarios, and minis could definitely benefit this title in the future IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jACE_EU wrote:
The only thing Xia and WL have in common is that they are both sandbox games. The differences are obvious to me, so it was a no-brainer to back it instantly.
It's like comparing Imperial Assault to Gloomhaven. They are both dungeon crawlers, but very different at playing. And yes, I own them both as well.

Xia and WL are more alike than you think, FAR closer than trying to compare GH and IA!

-SKi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For a yet unmentioned title which is also a sandbox old-west game: Spurs: A Tale in the Old West

If interested in what Tom Vasel thinks, check out the closing comments of his review, linked here. (Skip to 9:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-lxEfd3gM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDermott
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me some miniatures (assembly and painting too), exploring stuff and campaigns too. Shadows of Brimstone seemed to hit all of these marks and the art is beautiful.

I bought everything at once (retail) for SoB and found out it is light on game design. Everything is a dice roll. Items you buy in town might not have a card that you can reference in your inventory, instead write it on a piece of paper next to your other art filled cards. Exploring different tiles doesn't matter considering all enemies surround and attack. You simply attack and try to kill before you lose all your health. Miniatures are rough looking with poor details.

Believe me after dropping a lot of coin of this I REALLY wanted to like it. And everyone has a glowing review/experience for SoB and this absolutely baffles me. If I read more honest "I don't like this game" reviews I would have maybe put the brakes on the whole hog purchase, but that is on me.

Anyways, here is your SoB is a waste of time and money reply. Spend that time and money on better designed games, like.. Western Legends. Looks like they did more than "how should we do this in the game? I don't know.. roll dice?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau McDaniel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought, why not get both? Back this or SOB at the lowest level, then later on in the pledge manager in a few months add on the game? Being on a budget myself I've gotta get creative at times lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well, SOB is definitely an investment, like Josh said, and a pricey one at that (ebay scalpers have the KS exclusive minis like 'Drifter' going for $100 and up). The KS for SOB ended long ago, so what you can find is scattered expansions that fetch top $. That's provided you can get the core set itself (of which there are two). Josh explained that the gameplay borders the old paper and pencil rpg's. They were great, back in the day, but Gary Gygax himself would be proud of the improvements to the mechanics of these games today through the use of cards and what not. Nothing breaks game immersion faster than bookkeeping. WL seems to flow, that keeps people engaged, my dillema is a good balance of details ie, .45 Colt Peacemaker instead of simply 'revolver', or 'Mastercrafted saddle' instead of, you get the picture. Kind of how Steve Jackson did it, back in the 80's. The devils in the details, even small things can get people more engaged in the games of today, through creative art, stories, cards, etc. Many of the old school game designers did this, and the people that enjoyed these games learned history and so forth as they went along. The best games find a good balance of flow and detailed immersion IMHO. Thank you all, for your insights. It means alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, Spurs: A Tale in the Old West is one of the better western games out there. It’s been a favorite for my group. Would love to see a reprint with upgraded components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason T
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
jACE_EU wrote:

Xia and WL are more alike than you think, FAR closer than trying to compare GH and IA!

-SKi

Please explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jACE_EU wrote:
Teamski wrote:
jACE_EU wrote:

-SKi

Please explain.

In both Xia and WL, You:

1. Complete transport missions/ objective cards
2. Have a bounty system-you can either be good or bad
3. Have NPC's that move/ interact
4. Purchase upgrades to your ship/person
5. Win by reaching a certain number of fame points
6. Have a gamble system. In WL it is the saloon, in Xia it is mining.
7. Ability to attack other players or NPC's

The list goes on and on. Trust me, they are eerily similar apart from the fixed vs modular map. I personally think Xia has more to offer because of the customization you have have with your ships and the fact that you change ships as you upgrade.

Gloomhaven is a legacy game with an open world map to explore and is an epic cooperative dungeon crawl. Imperial Assault is a tactical miniatures game with a pre scripted campaign system and is PvP. They are not comparable other than they have miniatures.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And Spurs (mentioned above) has all those items as well, except #3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Legends Minis -

For what it's worth Western Legends (with stretch goals) currently has 18 minis. Although not a grand number, it's something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My problem with Spurs is how crappy it looks.

I was looking for a good western themed game a few years back and thought that would be it, but the whole thing looks like some wargamer decided to make a western game with boring looking chits, and a bland board, and inconsistent art direction. The box looked good, but that was about it.

Now maybe gameplay is good, but I don't want to play ugly games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, hence my interest in upgraded components. Sadly, it’s not likely to happen. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.