Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you use a Cosmic Zap to nullify another Cosmic Zap that was played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Super Samyon

Texas
msg tools
mb
An interesting question came up the last time we played Cosmic Encounter and I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but I wanted to check with everyone else.

Scenario:

A Cosmic Zap is played on top of an Artifact or Flare card nullifying that effect. However, another player plays a Cosmic Zap on top of the Cosmic Zap just played with the argument of "by nullifying this Cosmic Zap, the power that the original Cosmic Zap was nullifying is now once again active. Basically, it is as if no Cosmic Zaps were played and play resumes.

This could therefore lead to multiple Cosmic Zap stacking as each zap undoes the last Zap thereby reactivating or deactivating the original Artifact or Flare card.

I argued that this goes against the spirit of the game and that a Cosmic Zap cannot be used on another Cosmic Zap.

I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are talking about Card Zap (which works on cards) and not Cosmic Zap (which works on alien powers). Once you know that, it's easier to find the answer in a search:

/thread/1244713/card-zap-against-card-zap-cardzaption

In short, yes, you can stack them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSamyon wrote:
An interesting question came up the last time we played Cosmic Encounter and I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but I wanted to check with everyone else.

Scenario:

A Cosmic Zap is played on top of an Artifact or Flare card nullifying that effect. However, another player plays a Cosmic Zap on top of the Cosmic Zap just played with the argument of "by nullifying this Cosmic Zap, the power that the original Cosmic Zap was nullifying is now once again active. Basically, it is as if no Cosmic Zaps were played and play resumes.

This could therefore lead to multiple Cosmic Zap stacking as each zap undoes the last Zap thereby reactivating or deactivating the original Artifact or Flare card.

I argued that this goes against the spirit of the game and that a Cosmic Zap cannot be used on another Cosmic Zap.

I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Thank you!

There are two cards that end in Zap in the base game. One is called Card Zap and does what you describe -- nullifies an Artifact or Flare card before it takes effect. There's also a Cosmic Zap that nullifies an alien power before it takes effect. You can certainly use a Card Zap to cancel a Cosmic Zap. If Player A is about to use his alien power and Player B plays her Cosmic Zap, Player A is out of luck and can't use that power unless she plays a Card Zap in response.

Now, if you're asking if you can play a Card Zap in response to a Card Zap, yes, you can. It would mean exactly what you described -- basically nothing happens. Part of the fun of the game is that almost anything you do can be canceled or nullified, so you have to be on guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Samyon

Texas
msg tools
mb
JonBob wrote:
I think you are talking about Card Zap (which works on cards) and not Cosmic Zap (which works on alien powers). Once you know that, it's easier to find the answer in a search:

/thread/1244713/card-zap-against-card-zap-cardzaption

In short, yes, you can stack them.

Thank you! We are new to the game so I don't think Card Zaps even came up. Just Cosmic Zaps which we sorta treated as a Card Zap. That makes a lot of sense what you described and I can see that you would never play a Cosmic Zap on another Cosmic Zap since a Cosmic Zap is nullifying an "alien power" and not a card like a card zap does.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thadcar wrote:

If Player A is about to use his alien power and Player B plays her Cosmic Zap, Player A is out of luck and can't use that power unless she plays a Card Zap in response.

Worth noting as there are newbies present, that it doesn't have to be player A who plays the zap. Anyone can zap B's zap to allow A to retain and use her power, should they see an advantage for doing so (or just for the lols at B).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.