1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Go7 or Broken token insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Djee Djee
msg tools
mb
I was about to buy the Broken Token insert for gloomhaven, but then I noticed that Go7 has made one too.

I really love Go7 inserts, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money.

Can you guys help me decide?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Phan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into an insert as well, so I did some research.

I was pretty solid on the Broken Token insert because the tuckboxes for monsters seem great, but apparently, in use, it's not as great because you have to stuff the standees all in together with the cards so it's a bit inelegant. I also hear the overlays aren't labeled so it's difficult to find the ones you want. I also didn't like that 4 of the character classes tuckboxes won't fit so you'll need to put the contents in the 4 active player boxes they have.

One con about the Go7 insert is that you'll need to open all the tuckboxes and put them into new boxes. This might spoil some of the class reveals unless you get someone else to put them in for you. The other con is that is the most expensive insert in the market. And on top of that, if you want a tray for your map tiles, you'll need to pay an additional 9 dollars for it...

I started off with leaning more towards Broken Token, but now I'm thinking I might go with Meeple Realty. Everything seems well labeled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I went Meeple Realty and am very satisfied. I dislike having my monster cards and their envelopes in a tray instead of box but that's a small price for my preferred organization scheme (I freed up a lot of room by moving the item cards into a binder). The curved token bin is also really nice. The real draw back is the tray, but I was able to put the standees into g33kboxes and put them in the empty spots in the card holder. Works great, for me, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Meeple Realty insert and am very happy with it. It's mostly preference I believe. I haven't seen anything bad said about any of them really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hancoski
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know about the go7 but i have the broken token one and https://www.meeplerealty.com/product/gloomhaven-town/

Meeples is much better mostly because everything is labeled.

With an insert in this game you are goingto find out really quick if everything's place is not labeled packing up will be a huge pain

just from looking at Go7 it does not look like they label the position of the card board. take a look at meeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phan wrote:
II was pretty solid on the Broken Token insert because the tuckboxes for monsters seem great, but apparently, in use, it's not as great because you have to stuff the standees all in together with the cards so it's a bit inelegant. I also hear the overlays aren't labeled so it's difficult to find the ones you want. I also didn't like that 4 of the character classes tuckboxes won't fit so you'll need to put the contents in the 4 active player boxes they have.

I had originally went with BT because of those awesome tuckboxes. I hate those tuckboxes, don't even use them, and now wish I had just paid for a cheaper/different insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
Phan wrote:
II was pretty solid on the Broken Token insert because the tuckboxes for monsters seem great, but apparently, in use, it's not as great because you have to stuff the standees all in together with the cards so it's a bit inelegant. I also hear the overlays aren't labeled so it's difficult to find the ones you want. I also didn't like that 4 of the character classes tuckboxes won't fit so you'll need to put the contents in the 4 active player boxes they have.

I had originally went with BT because of those awesome tuckboxes. I hate those tuckboxes, don't even use them, and now wish I had just paid for a cheaper/different insert.

I love the Meeple Realty insert. It looks REALLY nice too if you spend 30 minutes staining it before assembly and it stores everything so perfectly. The only thing I think BT may have over the MR insert is the individual player tuck boxes.

Also the more recent Brawling Brothers episode has a 10% discount code for the MR insert which makes it even more affordable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin abbott
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I have the BT insert and could not be happier. The player boxes are liked a by our group alot. It is nice to just grab and go. I think the tuck boxes are fine enough though. I love the monster boxes. I just leave the tray in the box and grab the monsters i need and go, no need to remove it. Also, i leave the overlay tiles in the box and just grab them off the top when i need them after a room is opened or whatever. The conditions tray is really narrow which make it easy to sit on one side of the map so it is in easy reach to toss on a monster or whatever.

I believe the cons are the player boxes mean you have to unbox 4 of the 6 starting characters. I have a group of 4 so this is not any issue to me, but i really dont think it would be much of an issue even if i was only playing with two. Putting the monsters back in the box is not as easy as tossing them in a tray. You stack them on top of each other, and then slide them in the box. Not hard, just not as easy as tossing them in a tray.

It is just a breeze to set up, and maybe a little longer to put back because of the monster boxes, but it is worth it IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I have with the BT monster tuck boxes is they are fiddly to get everything back in if you sleeve the monster cards. I feel like I'm having to play a mini-game of tetris for a lot of the monsters when I put things away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ressukka
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I ordered this TowerRex insert: https://www.etsy.com/listing/579873653/gloomhaven-2nd-editio... I hope it’s good one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished staining my Broken Token insert last night. It should bee ready to out away when I get some time tonight. I am excited to put it into action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Schwebach
United States
flag msg tools
I have the BT insert and overall like it and would recommend.

I have sleeved everything and have no issues with it all fitting. I see a lot of comments about the tuck boxes being difficult to store standees in, but I have not had that issue. Even with all cards sleeved, only 2-3 of the boxes feel as though they need special maneuvering to fit.

I have two gripes though: the map tiles are an absolute pain to stack correctly to fit in the provided box. It works, but a file folder would be a more elegant solution. Also, the xp/health dials don't seem to have a place. But if you use the file folder system, that frees up a lot of space you can use.

Ultimately, whatever you choose is immensely better than nothing at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwebacca wrote:
Also, the xp/health dials don't seem to have a place.

They go in the active character trays. Check out how the dividers are recessed in the middle. It fits right in there, under your character board/sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phlarm Djabookie
msg tools
I want to sleeve every single card in the entire game and still use an insert. Labels are a major plus for me--borderline necessary. Do I even have any good options for this setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the go7 one and I love it. I had my wife put the stuff in the class boxes so no spoiler issue there, and I think having the class boxes is a huge benefit. The ones that come with the game are not meant to really be a storage solution once they are opened so I am glad I don't have to use them. For me it was worth the extra cost to have something that actually hold everything and doesn't rely on the default boxes.

There are a couple of possible cons though. So far I haven't been able to get everything back without some box lift (I didn't get the extra tray). I suspect this is a possible problem with other inserts too but I don't know to what extent. Also the solution for the character sheet pads is kind of unimpressive, but it's pretty minor. You can keep the sheets in use in the class boxes. I also didn't sleeve anything. Doing that might make the card trays pretty tight.

Edit: Also everything is really well labeled, especially the monster and overlay trays. Only the class trays are not, but they have a hole for the class symbol to show though. This does mean you have to pull the box out to see what class it is, but not that big of a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Erotic_Walrus wrote:
I want to sleeve every single card in the entire game and still use an insert. Labels are a major plus for me--borderline necessary. Do I even have any good options for this setup?

Go7 is probably your only option. The problem with all the others is that, to some extent or other, they use the tuckboxes included in the game for classes that aren't currently being played or haven't been unlocked yet, to preserve the legacy element. And if you sleeve all the combat modifiers and class cards with premium sleeves they don't go back in the tuckboxes.

Go7 dumps them, but that means you need someone else to take out the cards, sleeve them and put them in their boxes. Unless you don't care about spoilers.

If you're willing to be a bit more flexible, most of the other inserts work fine as long as you just sleeve the character cards as you use them. We've actually found this is quite handy, as you'll pick cards for your modifier deck and new class cards as you level up, and by sleeving just the ones we pick it makes it really easy to see which cards are available to us and there's no chance of mixing the "live" decks up with the "upgrade" decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do it drunk. You won’t remember any of the cards.

I did this with the standees I just received for my 1st printing. I honestly don’t even remember what any looked like other than the two I am currently playing with.

Alcohol is your friend here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Erotic_Walrus wrote:

Go7 is probably your only option. The problem with all the others is that, to some extent or other, they use the tuckboxes included in the game for classes that aren't currently being played or haven't been unlocked yet, to preserve the legacy element. And if you sleeve all the combat modifiers and class cards with premium sleeves they don't go back in the tuckboxes.
I sleeved my monsters with FFG red sleeves. They fit in the BT insert in their boxes with standees just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Talae wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Erotic_Walrus wrote:

I sleeved my monsters with FFG red sleeves. They fit in the BT insert in their boxes with standees just fine.

The monsters do, it's the character classes that are an issue - the active ones fit okay in the player trays but inactive ones won't go back in the tuck boxes that come with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Talae wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Erotic_Walrus wrote:

The monsters do, it's the character classes that are an issue - the active ones fit okay in the player trays but inactive ones won't go back in the tuck boxes that come with the game.
The starting characters were fine for me...albeit a little tight. I haven't sleeved the others yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
I have the go7 insert. I am still trying to decide how I feel but do consider you do not need to preload the character boxes unless you want everything stored in the box. I intend to leave the boxes sealed until it is time for an unsealing which is a rare occurrence. That of course means I have a box to the side with extra sealed boxes. The wood boxes will need some kind of labeling on the side.

Personally, my feeling is the character boxes are a bit over done. I liked the deadalus solution for characters but didn’t like the loose pile their insert became.

I need more time using the insert before I really Review it. I am so sick of making the boxes it’s hard to be objective.

The other stuff is all standard go7, the token trays and card boxes. It depends on how you feel about those. It’s top notch stuff, goes together well, and the board he uses is great to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johan

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm been waffling between daedalus and go7 all week.

Go7 appears to be super high quality and has covers for almost all boxes. On the other hand, the character boxes seem a little over-engineered and require a non-player helper to move everything over without spoilers.

Daedalus looks nice but I have heard their instructions are...sub-par. I've also heard that the stain can come off on hands during the build -- suggesting it could come off on components. And then there are reports of the labels being hard to read.

The rest of the inserts don't inspire. I don't like the BT monster tuck boxes and the Meeple Realty card organizer is not great.

Considering the cost of these things it sucks there's no obvious front runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mjohan wrote:
I'm been waffling between daedalus and go7 all week.

I'm right there with you. Those are the two I'm down to.

I think I'm going to go with the go7 as it stands now... and just not load up all the character boxes and only unbox the characters as they get unlocked (should happen rarely).

But I dunno - I'm a big fan of the daedalus products (I have a couple already). The fact that they didn't adjust the design for the 2nd edition makes me very hesitant though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johan

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same. I'll pull the trigger on Go7 tonight.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to talk my wife into transferring the characters to the new boxes (she's not playing). :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johan

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, pretty sure I made the right choice with Go7. Ordered on Sunday night, arrived via priority mail on Wednesday -- almost beating the craft glue. Dry built everything last night -- all goes together well and seems *very* sturdy.

Best of all, while I did not choose to purchase the top tray, they tossed one in for me at no charge. Pretty great!

--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.