BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: RECOMMEND FOR A 10YR OLD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa E
Canada
flag msg tools
HI there,

This is my first post! My daughter has recently showed a lot of interest in board games (that are not from toysrus lol). WHO KNEW THERE WAS A WHOLE BOARD GAMING WORLD OUT THERE!!! I would like suggestions for her, she is 10yrs old. So something not too complicated (although I think she catches on faster then me lol). I don't think she has decided which type of games are her favorite as of yet. The games we have so far are:

1 - Santorini as it was easy to learn and was ok with 2 players and it had strategy.
2 - Dixit - was easy for the whole family to learn, but was actually pretty hard to come up with clues for the cards, maybe we will get better as we play more. lol
3 - pandemic - we enjoyed and was not too hard to learn, I think we need a few more run thoughs
4. Castles of Burgundy - this we played just 2 player and there was quite a learning curve the 1st play throu ... but it was ok .. we need to play a few more times before deciding if we like it.
5. Scotland yard - this was OK to learn... we did a 2 player.. it was not a very exciting game thou.
5. - Code Names - we have not played as of yet.
6. - Sushi Go party - played 1 time with 3 players - it was fun - but a tad confusing as to what all the cards meant. - will play again.

Thank you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo

Maharani

Hive Pocket

Alhambra (is often on sale with the odd big box edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! I love when kids discover boardgames!

this is an easy one. start her on the new "classics", they'll cover the basics and be fun for the whole family.

Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Sushi Go!, Bohnanza, Hanabi, and Stone Age are all great games to play with a 10 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoy Queendomino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa E
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you! She is making me interested too! She's been watching youtube videos of game play though lol ... We do have Sushi Go Party .. I added it to my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amazon has a huge sale today on Labrinth that she may like. I highly suggest checking Amazon asap for that one todsy.

Also ticket to Ride is great,if you get it, personally I'd spring for the 1910 expansion as well. Gives you bigger cards and more tickets. You can always see if you like it and get that later, but it's a good expansion

Finally I know it's pretty much the generic answer now, it was at least years ago, but if your are trying to get into a gateway strategy game Catan of course should be mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa E
Canada
flag msg tools
Is there a big difference between the Queen and King version? King is cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Link to Labrinth. Sorry it's not formatted that well, doing this from my phone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00000J0JF/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa2018 wrote:

Queendomino has red tiles which representing cities. You can build various buildings there and these will give you benefits. Queendomino is more complex than Kingdomino.

Personally, I prefer Kingdomino as a quick filler game for everyone (even non gamers!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa2018 wrote:

Kingdomino was first. Queendomino is essentially the same game with some new things added on top. Queendomino will remain interesting longer because it has more going on. On the other hand, it may have too much going on. You can't go wrong with either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence may be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert

Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

7 Wonders (might be a bit of a stretch, and needs at least 3 to play)

Castle Panic

Enjoy!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poo: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellow Shoes
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Patchwork

Splendor

Ticket to Ride

Carcassonne

Sagrada

Love Letter

Survive: Escape Atlantis

King of Tokyo

For Sale

Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert

Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

7 Wonders (might be a bit of a stretch, and needs at least 3 to play)

Castle Panic

Enjoy!!!

Replace 7 wonders (which is great! don't get me wrong) with the afore-mentioned Kingdomino and that's a perfect list for an in-coming gamer at that age!

:edit: ninja'd by more good ideas, namely Love Letter, Survive and King of Tokyo! In case you can't tell, we're all very excited for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's playing Castles of Burgundy, then I'd say you really don't need to view her age as part of the equation other than theme. Play some of the games you have a few more times and figure out what you like or don't like. Ask her what themes or games interest her, look at some of the popular gateway and family games, watch play thru videos together, and then pick something that interests you that is at or below Castles of Burgundy game weight.

The games my kids enjoyed most around that age were:

Lords of Waterdeep
Love Letter
Castle Panic
Hive Pocket
King of Tokyo (not good with 2 imo)
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Hey, That's My Fish!
Sheriff of Nottingham (not good with 2)
Ticket to Ride

I didn't get this one until more recently, so my kids are a little older, but my 13 y.o. loves Broom Service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said, Queendomino offers more. Kingdomino has less long-lasting replayability in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb K
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One that hasn't been said, unless I missed it is:

Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters

This game went over extremely well with our then 10 year old. She still loves it and is working on creating her own scenarios for the game.

Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love Small World. It is pretty easy to learn, with a little strategy involved but not so much that they wouldn't be able to keep up with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potion Explosion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerala: The Way of the Elephant. Works well at any player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby! I have girls aged 13 and 11, and have been playing games with them for several years. Here are some family favorites that went over well with my girls:

Karuba: A great route-building game that's really easy to teach and fun to play.

Forbidden Island: An easy-to-learn, but very enjoyable co-op. It has similar mechanics to Pandemic (same designer), but more streamlined gameplay.

Takenoko: One of the prettiest games around. Plus Pandas! My girls have really enjoyed this one.

Ubongo: A Tetris-like racing game. This one has been a family favorite for several years.

Magic Maze: This is probably my 11 year old's favorite game right now. We even played it last night. It's another co-op, and it packs a surprising amount of tension and (good) stress into a short play time and simple rule set.

Indigo: This is a beautiful and easy to play "squiggly line" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.