Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on defeating encounters and Vanquished rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all.

I was reading and answering questions on the forum and a doubt came to my mind.

For what I´ve read all the damage in the Deal Damage Phase is dealt at the same time and encounters are defeated and sent to the discard pile the moment the last level of damage is cleared.

My question is: All the damage is dealt at the same time to all the encounters or we can choose which is defeated first.

And my question comes from the vanquished text of the Orog:

VANQUISHED: Deal 1 level of damage to another encounter.

So far We´ve been killing the Orog first and then we use the level of damage that he deals in any level of damage of other encounter (of course clering the upper levels first). If all the encounters are dealt damage at the same time then I´ve been playing the Orog wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you get to decide the order damage is applied and vanquished abilities will proc in between other damage being applied if you choose so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After damage is allocated and you're 'ready to deal damage', you then start doing so, one encounter at a time.

Each encounter is fully resolved before moving onto the next encounter.

Most of the time, order doesn't matter. For a few, order very much matters, such as when an encounter deals damage to another encounter (Orog), or when you have encounters attacking each other (Trollclaws Adventure Pack). Some encounters deal additional damage to players, which can move the player to STUNNED or UNCONSCIOUS. We usually do those nasty things last in order to avoid complicated timing scenarios.

Part of this is also that you cannot do a little bit of damage to an Encounter, then defeat Orog, applying his level of damage to the first Encounter and then go BACK to that first encounter to apply more damage. Once an encounter has been damaged in a turn, it won't take any more damage from player cards until the next player's turn. Orog could still finish the job for you though.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Part of this is also that you cannot do a little bit of damage to an Encounter, then defeat Orog, applying his level of damage to the first Encounter and then go BACK to that first encounter to apply more damage. Once an encounter has been damaged in a turn, it won't take any more damage from player cards until the next player's turn. Orog could still finish the job for you though.


I don´t undestand this part.

Lets say that I have 2 encounters:

Orog 3/A/2/G
Vampire Spawn A/5/3/2/G

My damage pool is A2A2G1

I asign 2A2G1 to de Orog and A to the Vampire Spawn.

I decide to kill the Orog first so the Vanquish kicks in.

I have to aply the level of damage in that moment or I get to chose to deal the A and then aply the level of damage?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moreion wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Part of this is also that you cannot do a little bit of damage to an Encounter, then defeat Orog, applying his level of damage to the first Encounter and then go BACK to that first encounter to apply more damage. Once an encounter has been damaged in a turn, it won't take any more damage from player cards until the next player's turn. Orog could still finish the job for you though.


I don´t undestand this part.

Lets say that I have 2 encounters:

Orog 3/A/2/G
Vampire Spawn A/5/3/2/G

My damage pool is A2A2G1

I asign 2A2G1 to de Orog and A to the Vampire Spawn.

I decide to kill the Orog first so the Vanquish kicks in.

I have to aply the level of damage in that moment or I get to chose to deal the A and then aply the level of damage?



When Orog is defeated, choose one encounter, that encounter takes one level of damage.
Then move on to applying damage to another encounter.

I'll extend your example:


Orog 3/A/2/G (Orog only has G left)
Vampire Spawn A/5/3/2/G

Played Cards:
Grace (G)
Cantrip (A)
Spiritual Weapon (G2)

You cannot do the following:

Assign Cantrip (A) and Spiritual Weapon (G2) to Vampire Spawn
Assign Grace (G) to Orog

Then:
Start damaging the Vampire Spawn (A)
Then damage & defeat Orog (G)
Then apply Orog's level to Vampire Spawn (5)
Then continue applying Player damage to Vampire Spawn (G2 becomes 3)

Again, that is *not* allowed, because you started on the Vampire Spawn, and then 'came back' to it. All damage assigned to an encounter gets done 'all at once'. If you started with the Vampire Spawn in this case, the A would work and the 3 would only partially damage the 5, resulting in no further damage.


Put another way, I don't believe that Orog's level of damage adds to the general damage pool. It is an immediate Vanquished effect.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

You cannot do the following:

Assign Cantrip (A) and Spiritual Weapon (G2) to Vampire Spawn
Assign Grace (G) to Orog

Then:
Start damaging the Vampire Spawn (A)
Then damage & defeat Orog (G)
Then apply Orog's level to Vampire Spawn (5)
Then continue applying Player damage to Vampire Spawn (G2 becomes 3)

Again, that is *not* allowed, because you started on the Vampire Spawn, and then 'came back' to it. All damage assigned to an encounter gets done 'all at once'. If you started with the Vampire Spawn in this case, the A would work and the 3 would only partially damage the 5, resulting in no further damage.


Put another way, I don't believe that Orog's level of damage adds to the general damage pool. It is an immediate Vanquished effect.



where i can find this on the rules ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
p15, Section 3
Quote:

3. DEAL DAMAGE Once you finish playing cards and finalizing all text effects that are not damage, all played cards deal damage. Choose an encounter where you’ve placed cards and deal the damage generated by them to the encounters as explained below. Then put all those cards aside to indicate those have been resolved. Continue this process until you’ve resolved all of your damage effects.


One encounter at a time, all cards allocated to them, then the next encounter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Put another way, I don't believe that Orog's level of damage adds to the general damage pool. It is an immediate Vanquished effect.


Now I get it. Thank you. I agree 100%

And reading your answer I think I got a better idea of where to look at the rules.

p. 30 Glosary.

Quote:
Vanquished: Immediately apply this effect when an encounter is
defeated.


So what we can (and should) do is:

Orog 3/A/2/G (Orog only has G left)
Vampire Spawn A/5/3/2/G

Played Cards:
Grace (G)
Cantrip (A)

Assign Cantrip (A) to Vampire Spawn
Assign Grace (G) to Orog

Then:
Start damaging the Vampire Spawn (A)
Then damage & defeat Orog (G)
Then apply Orog's level to Vampire Spawn (5) since it's damage not from the cards played in the turn but from a "must do" affect.

Then on the next turn play our 2 Spiritual weapons and kill him!! (Because Cleric Gold Dwarf rules)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BCZ said:
Quote:
One encounter at a time, all cards allocated to them, then the next encounter.


Note that you can change your allocation when you get to the Deal Damage Phase if you want.

Page 14 - end of para 1 of section 2:
Quote:
You may change your mind on where to apply the damage later, but you may not change the text effect once applied.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can change allocations up until you begin the deal damage phase, at which point everything is locked.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.