Subject: Some questions after an AI game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just played my first game of this. It was me vs. the AI, and I managed to eke out a win with 73 to 68 points. A close and exciting game and the game feels very thematic.

However, I'm a bit iffy on some things, so I'd like some clarification:

For the actions where it doesn't say anything to the contrary in the rulebook, I just assumed it uses up an exosuit. Example: the 2 water gain when it rolls a 6 (Luckily this only happened once so it wouldn't have changed the result too much). I also had it use up a suit for every supply/recruit action it did. For all the actions where it explicitly states it doesn't use an exosuit, I didn't use one for it. Whenever it gained 2 water and a victory point, I had that use up an exosuit as well.

Another thing that confused me: It time travels sometimes when it rolls a 1, and it always time travels at the end of its turn with no suits left. In my game this meant it never had to roll for paradoxes. It also means it always maxes out its time travel track. Is this intended? Since it never has to roll for paradoxes, it never has to get rid of anomalies, which is a bit weird since there's an action that concerns that. Is that just for the really rare cases where it rolls a 2 on the anomaly die, doesn't roll enough ones to time travel, therefore only time travels once, and then either ties or has more triangles on the track than the player?

Also, since it will always max out its time travel track, why have it there to begin with? Couldn't you just give it some flat victory points to make the whole thing less fiddly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are making a few errors that are making the game easier for you.

It only uses an exosuit if there is a matching space on the board to place it. So for time travel, getting 2 water, etc. it doesn't use a suit.

Also, if it runs out of suits, it takes 1 time travel action and then passes for rest of that era. So maximum once each era.

Given that you should have as many exosuits as it does most of the time, many eras it shouldn't be taking the time travel action at all. Because you are using the AI's suits faster than you should by using them for 2 water, etc., you are falsely accelerating the time track.

Playing with the correct rules I have never once had it max out its time travel track. My last game it got three anomolies (one which it removed with the remove anomaly action).

Edit: If it takes an action on the board (i.e. construct) but can't complete the action (i.e. it already has 3 of those buildings) so takes 2 water/1VP instead, it will still place a suit on the board in the appropriate spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that makes even less sense to me. There must be one big mistake I'm making. Because if I don't do it like this, the board will end up full at some point. Therefore, the AI will have exosuits left to use without a space to place them. This means it will continue taking its turn, be unable to place anything, take 2 water and 1 point in a kind of infinite loop, as it will never run out of exosuits. It'll never pass since it won't be running out of suits.

What am I not seeing?

And it's still 2 time travel actions maximum each turn. One for passing, and one for rolling a 1 and doing it because of their programming board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as you pass, the era is immediately over. In other words, once you are either out of workers, or just decide to pass, you immediately end the era and clear the board, the AI gets no more actions.

There are 11 limited spots on the board, so a full board is a rare situation if you are ending the era when you pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh! And there I was constructing buildings that would use up actions just so I could outwait the AI... This way it makes sense now, I think. I'd have a lot more control over the game this way. I'll have to try again with the correct rules in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad we got to the bottom of this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

Thanks for an awesome game, and for catering to us solo players. The AI is very well designed and makes for engaging solo play. I am still working on ways to include the other modules in solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
TDaver wrote:

Thanks for an awesome game, and for catering to us solo players. The AI is very well designed and makes for engaging solo play. I am still working on ways to include the other modules in solo play.

I'm actively making sure all my games (if possible) end up with an interesting solo mode, so all the thanks i need is for people who like one: check out the others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.