Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies since this isn't a major bug and I hope this is the right place to post about it!

Since yesterday, I noticed that the code function ([ c ]) for using a fixed-width font appears differently across the site. I usually utilize this to align text in lists or tables. As an example, this should show up correctly as it's just text:

However, I often align my numbered lists on the right side, with the punctuation, and this is where the problem arises:

Note that there is now a faint white box with grey borders before the 8 and 9 when I use the code function to insert a space.

Other areas where this shows up oddly are on my profile page and this GeekList item (particularly with the new horizontal scrollbar for the section Extensive Expansionism).

I am running Safari on a a Mac, and have heard from others using different browsers and devices that this also appears for them. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Thanks!

EDIT: This issue has now been corrected. Thank you for the quick fix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Issue with Code Function (Fixed-Width Font Formatting)
Albia wrote:
However, I often align my numbered lists on the right side, with the punctuation, and this is where the problem arises:

Note that there is now a faint white box with grey borders before the 8 and 9 when I use the code function to insert a space.

FWIW I don't see a white box with gray borders (including when I quote the text in the lilac colored quotation area area); it looks like it always has for me, with the blank spaces being invisible as expected. (I'm using an older version of Firefox.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the spacing "graphic", but it's a very pale grey, not white with a grey border.

I'm using Edge on Win10 build 17074.

I only use [c][/c] when I want to break a tag so that I can use actual tags that people can copy directly from the page and into a post. Like I did in that sentence. Boy did is foobar that! In preview there is a spacing rectancle displacing the first [ half a line up, while itself appearing half a line below!!!! Ah! That appears on Submit too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I see it in both the original, and your quote, where it is super-visible.

Thanks to work, I'm using IE 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I can see the spacing "graphic", but it's a very pale grey, not white with a grey border.

I'm using Edge on Win10 build 17074.

I only use [c][/c] when I want to break a tag so that I can use actual tags that people can copy directly from the page and into a post. Like I did in that sentence. Boy did is foobar that! In preview there is a spacing rectancle displacing the first [ half a line up, while itself appearing half a line below!!!! Ah! That appears on Submit too.
OMG, it doesn't look good with highlighting! I'm going to screenshot it and show you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is

hilarious! (But annoying too )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Good to know it's not just me, although it sounds like it might not be a universal issue. I see exactly what you have in that screenshot, where it seems to be underlining any fixed-width characters with this white or grey box.

It's mainly an aesthetics issue and nothing major, yet my poor formatting! What a terrible sight... Although I will admit that it's also kind of funny. Wild code on the loose!

And for quick reference, here are a few more clear examples of the oddities going on:

Albia wrote:
This should show a horizontal scrollbar:

mb Jan - mb Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities (Hoplomachus: Army of One, Hoplomachus: Beast & Master, Hoplomachus: Blade's Edge, Hoplomachus: Legends of the Sand, Hoplomachus: Origins, Hoplomachus: Rise of Rome)

And here the entire line should have the white or grey box underneath it so it's a little clearer than just a single character:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The formatting options here are not designed to be some sophisticated editor. So use the tags in funky ways at your own peril.

One thing you missed is that the code tag set changes the text size as well as the character spacing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
The formatting options here are not designed to be some sophisticated editor. So use the tags in funky ways at your own peril.

One thing you missed is that the code tag set changes the text size as well as the character spacing.
You miss the point. It's not that we're expecting too much from the tool, we're just surprised that the result of something that we've done (at least in my case) for years has suddenly changed and in such an odd manner. Why should using the Code tag (which is designed to ultra-simplify output) introduce what appear to be graphical artefacts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I made the change to the code styles.

The purpose was to prevent a single long line of code from forcing the whole screen width to be very wide. That is the purpose of the scrollbar, as well.

I don't see the boxes with border in chrome, although I don't doubt they are there in some browsers. I'll see if I can track down the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:

I appreciate the comments and understand that the formatting options don't allow for any sophisticated editing. Yet the coding functionality is recommended as the only way to create tables and achieve other spacing options. Like M.C. mentioned, this functionality suddenly changed in the last 24 hours and no longer produces the invisible results as it always has.

Again, I apologize if this isn't exactly a bug. If there is a better place to post something like this in the future, please let me know! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

The purpose was to prevent a single long line of code from forcing the whole screen width to be very wide. That is the purpose of the scrollbar, as well.

I don't see the boxes with border in chrome, although I don't doubt they are there in some browsers. I'll see if I can track down the problem.

Thanks for the information, Daniel! I understand the change, and had a feeling it was done to do something in relation to screen size. If there's a chance that the box underneath the code sections can be removed, that would be awesome. Thank you again, and keep up the great work with the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I think it's not a "box"; it's the scroll bar trying to display in too small of a horizontal space.

edit: Again, Daniel, you'd avoid of lot of going back and fixing things if you'd talk with actual users before doing "harmless/minor/invisible" stuff like this...because who would do something wacky, edge-case-y, and unforeseen with a tool we've had for years? Actual users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to be fixed now! And I'll keep that in mind for the scrollbar, which makes sense. One tiny change to an entry, and that should be all set.

Thank you all, and especially to Daniel for the quick fix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
herace wrote:

I appreciate the comments and understand that the formatting options don't allow for any sophisticated editing. Yet the coding functionality is recommended as the only way to create tables and achieve other spacing options. Like M.C. mentioned, this functionality suddenly changed in the last 24 hours and no longer produces the invisible results as it always has.

Again, I apologize if this isn't exactly a bug. If there is a better place to post something like this in the future, please let me know! Thanks!
Well for tables, I use [floatleft][/floatleft] Here's my template:

[floatleft][b]Column1Title[/b]
Paste Column 1 Entry Rows Here (1 per line)[/floatleft][floatleft][b]Column2Title[/b]
Paste Column N Entry Rows Here (1 per line)[/floatleft]
[clear]

To Add a column, just copy the highlighted text and paste it just before the [clear]

So that this
[floatleft][b]Number[/b]
5[/floatleft][floatleft][b]Letter[/b]
a
b
c
d
e[/floatleft][clear]

looks like this
Number
Letter
a
b
c
d
e
(please excuse the bold brackets [, I'd normally use Code tags to show the tags, but there's a problem with Code Tags at the moment ) This approach doesn't have sophisticated column justification options, but it works out the column width automatically and copes with new rows without having to adjust the padding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is going to be an odd thread when people come late to the show! "What issue?" they'll say, "works OK for me"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the floating text examples! I haven't made profuse use of those codes yet, but that's certainly a great way to make tables.

I've updated the title of the thread to indicate that it's been resolved, and added a quick note at the end. Hopefully that doesn't make it too confusing around here. Ha ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trayton Otto
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

What is the new limit for width before showing the scroll bar?
Which forum is best to subscribe to for updates like these in the future?

Thanks,
Trayton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ColinMacLeod wrote:
Which forum is best to subscribe to for updates like these in the future?

I'd suggest Bugs and Complaints, as updates like these often cause new threads in those forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.