Joshua Lawrance
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a couple of game ideas which will be strictly targeting 18+ (UK) 21+ (American) Adults... They will be adaptions to existing board games, with an adult drinking game twist.

I have secured a decent amount of investment for my ideas, however I am struggling to find useful supplier information without going to a third party 'middleman'.

I also want to make sure I can source all of the raw materials, design and packaging at a good price to ensure I can remain competitive, with more & more eastern countries selling on amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk.

What information I am kindly asking for:

1) Wood block suppliers/manufacturers, have you guys used companies before? Would you recommend them?

2) Board game manufacturers, as well as box manufacturers.

3) Design agencies for board games.

Also, if you are local to Leicester, United Kingdom. I am more than happy to discuss the products with you under a Non-Disclosure-Agreement if you are also actively looking to invest in a lucrative market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbolo Gaming
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So your ideas are using an existing game's intellectual property? Before you start talking about design and manufacture my first question will be about permission. Have you talked to the company who's games you want to expand upon?

Can you make people sign an NDA when you have no involvement or ownership of the material being discussed?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

In which case a number of manufacturers can be found on Google. There are no UK affordable manufacturers from my searching. Europe can be cheap for card games, but for most games you're likely looking to China. There are many western companies now that make this easy by letting you deal with them and have their manufacturing china-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ma Johnson
msg tools
I think you've come to the wrong place. This is the board game design forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Joshua,

The forum is mostly filled with board game designers, not publishers or business people. So...

1) No idea!

2) A few board game manufacturers I know (no particular order): Panda GM, WinGo, Longpack, AdMagic, LudoFact, Carta Mundi, Trefl.

3) Normally, individuals design games, which are then pitched to publishers. The publisher then develops them further (if necessary) and does all the manufacturing/shipping/marketing/selling etc, paying the original designer a royalty %. I don't know of any board game design agencies as such.

If you have a brief and a budget, the are generally a lot of enthusiasts on this forum who are interested in doing the game design work. The "boozy version of an existing game" may be a turn off, though.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Sieja
Poland
flag msg tools
Robbolo wrote:
So your ideas are using an existing game's intellectual property? Before you start talking about design and manufacture my first question will be about permission. Have you talked to the company who's games you want to expand upon?

Can you make people sign an NDA when you have no involvement or ownership of the material being discussed?

Aside from the ethics perspective, you don't need such permissions, if you only want to use the rules. Game mechanics are not copyright subject (look at Jenga or Monopoly and their clones). If he wants to additionally change the rules to drinking, it's perfectly fine (as long as he will make his own artset and write ruleset, as those are subjects of copyright).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbolo Gaming
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolo_z_Wrocka wrote:

Aside from the ethics perspective, you don't need such permissions, if you only want to use the rules. Game mechanics are not copyright subject (look at Jenga or Monopoly and their clones). If he wants to additionally change the rules to drinking, it's perfectly fine (as long as he will make his own artset and write ruleset, as those are subjects of copyright).

Fair enough, when he said adaptations of existing games I assumed the idea was along the lines if a drinking game based on Cards Against Humanity or Codenames, using existing names/brand etc.

But you're right in that there appears to be little protection of good ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lawrance
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for the reply. This is the sort of thing that I was after, I was kind of confident that if I bend the rules in a way, then copyright wouldn't essentially cover the original product.

Now on to point 2 and 3. Do you have any contacts in the field of producing the games. I.e. Games boards, Jenga bricks, the boxes for each of these...

Ignore my noobie comments. But give it time and you will see this lot shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://pandagm.com/register/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If I understand correctly your idea is to use the same components as existing incredibly popular board games (like Jenga, Monopoly, Battleship or Clue) with additional rules for drinking.

I imagine it'll be pretty hard to compete with Hasbro and the other large manufacturers on price, right now you can buy Jenga for 10 bucks on Amazon, so whatever game your additional rules would offer would have to make the extra cost worth it. I feel like that'll be pretty difficult to swing, the rules of a drinking game need to be simple enough to explain in 10 seconds, something that simple doesn't need to be bought.

If you're going to somehow alter the components (pre-writing stuff on the Jenga blocks, using shot glasses instead of ships for Battleship) that's maybe a bit more interesting but the components will end up being a whole lot pricier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've undertaken extensive testing of both board games and drinking. My research indicates that there is little call for drinking themed board games.

There are already plenty drinking games around. There is pool, darts, dominoes, and gambling machines. These games have one thing in common - The rules can be picked up in less than a minute.

I have played board games where copious amounts of alcohol have been consumed. Such games did not have to be drinking themed to be played nor did they have to be drinking themed to encourage drinking.
In my experience these games never finish. At some point a discussion takes hold and by the time it's finished no one knows whose turn it is or really cares.

Out of curiosity what games are you considering? Surely nothing with a rulebook. One game you do mention is Jenga. Well that's already been done. I vaguely remember playing an oversized Jenga in a pub in Blackpool about 20 years ago. It was during a lull in an all day drinking session and we tired of it after about 20 mins, it was distracting us from drinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JUBBSY wrote:
Ignore my noobie comments.

OK.

Quote:
But give it time and you will see this lot shine.

Oh!, there is another noobie comment. devil

On a more serious note, regardless of what legal protection there is or not, if you are copying mass-market games from Hasbro and such, don't think for a second that you have your ass covered and things will go smoothly. Be prepared to get cease-and-desist letters (best-case scenario) and/or to face some serious legal action. And sorry if this sounds harsh, but we get newbies with some "great idea" here every other week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the DiY (Drinking it Yourself) forum. You'll find tons of links there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've had loads of great ideas whilst drinking. They never seemed that great the morning after though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have you playtested your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a note, plenty of "just add drinking" type games have been published or put up on Kickstarter. Out of the hundreds proposed that I've seen, I can think of maybe 5 that actually had sales (all at the Spencer's type stores) and only because it is a novelty due to a specific theme (usually for a bachelor/bachelorette party). The ones that don't sell just disappear after a couple of months on the shelves and never get sold, presumably either clearanced or even sent back to the publisher for a refund.

I don't think a single KS with that "addition" even came close to being funded, but tons of people keep trying.

That's the market you're trying to break into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.