Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: I'm going to bring this part over here where it belongs, looking for input. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
So the original discussion was regarding replaying scenarios to do personal goals that would otherwise be unattainable or difficult to do.

I want to create a hook for the rest of the party, Gold and XP aren't much of one, as you can get that by progressing the story.

Quote:
What if we replaced the already gotten treasure chests and made a chart to "roll" on?

Such as "Draw from the Monster Modifier Deck":

-2 - One Random monster appears
-1 - Take 2 HP damage
+0 - Gain 5 Gold
+1 - Gain 5 xp
+2 - Gain One random item from the store Deck
X2 - Gain 1 check
Null - Add one curse to your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
So the original discussion was regarding replaying scenarios to do personal goals that would otherwise be unattainable or difficult to do.

I want to create a hook for the rest of the party, Gold and XP aren't much of one, as you can get that by progressing the story.

Quote:
What if we replaced the already gotten treasure chests and made a chart to "roll" on?

-1 - Take 2 HP damage
+0 - Gain 5 Gold
+1 - Gain 5 xp
X2 - Gain 1 check

Not what the designer intended, but it is your game. Do whatever you need to maximize the enjoyment for you and your fellow party members.

The random item and the "check" might be a little too much, in my opinion. Your other options are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea..I can see it now...1hp left and you sweat as you consider opening the chest or leaving it alone lol..

I was thinking of something simpler like roll a d20 and collect that much gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the item, since it could net a lot of gold, or a hard to get item, but I dunno, so far one check doesn't seem to make a huge dent, especially since stuff can remove checks and it is a 1/20 chance.

Maybe extra XP AND Gold instead of an item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:
Good idea..I can see it now...1hp left and you sweat as you consider opening the chest or leaving it alone lol..

I was thinking of something simpler like roll a d20 and collect that much gold.

That was the thought, just like the in game chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyric Connell

Ukiah
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've replaced treasure chests with the 5 gold token.
Makes them actually be used for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eborgann wrote:

That's what I do too. Though we use them as 5 Gold, not 5 Coins, as Coins are multiplied by a number determined by scenario level to determine how much gold each one is worth. The 5 Gold tokens are worth 5 gold no matter the scenario level in our games. (only noted because I've seen this discussion on other threads here on BGG, whether they are 5 gold or 5 coin tokens, and that makes a huge difference at higher levels, where a coin might be worth more than 5 gold)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Vogel
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I like the idea of just making them a 5-coin token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that having it as just a 5-coin token would solve the OP's issue, which is that it's difficult to justify going back to replay a scenario to the rest of the group just so one person can make progress toward a Personal Quest. Depending on your scenario level, that could be chump change.

That said, I may use that idea myself, because I don't have a problem replaying scenarios. Easier for me since I own the game, so I can do it solo if I need to.

To the OP: I don't see anything wrong with doing what you propose. Go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
Eborgann wrote:

That's what I do too. Though we use them as 5 Gold, not 5 Coins, as Coins are multiplied by a number determined by scenario level to determine how much gold each one is worth. The 5 Gold tokens are worth 5 gold no matter the scenario level in our games. (only noted because I've seen this discussion on other threads here on BGG, whether they are 5 gold or 5 coin tokens, and that makes a huge difference at higher levels, where a coin might be worth more than 5 gold)

This is exactly what I do as well. It makes the chests a player again in the scenario. "Ok, 5 more gold or kill that last skeleton? Hmmm."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Sounds like a good idea for people who are looking for that kind of thing.

My first question is regarding drawing from the monster modifier deck. If you have a fresh deck on hand, the distributions of outcome seems reasonable. But if you're using the currently-in-use deck, you are (1) affecting a monster's next attack; (2) you can know your probabilities in advance based on what's already been drawn; (3) monster curses and blesses can affect your outcome distributions.

Factor (1) can be overcome by shuffling the card you drew back into the pile.
Factor (2) and (3) are good or bad depending on how you look at it -- making it more dynamic/interesting vs making it more predictable/gameable.
Factor (3) also adds a mitigating thing to balance against people who curse the monster deck to oblivion -- which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. If you don't want curses/blesses to play a factor, you can always ignore them when drawn and reshuffle them back into the pile.

For me, personally, (2) and (3) are interesting and not significant problems. And (1) is easy to solve, so I think we're good to move on.

Now onto outcomes:

I would consider making the outcomes scale a bit more.
- 5 gold can be nice for when 1 coin = 2g, but quite insignificant when 1 coin = 6g.
- 2 damage can be significant or insignificant depending on character level.
- 1 random monster could scale with number of players.
- 5 XP isn't much for higher level characters.

Also:
- XP means nothing to a level 9 character, as does check marks for maxed perk characters. But I don't mind it staying in because no-effect events are just as sensible as negative ones.
- 1 curse is also a really insignificant event, especially when associated with the severity of a null. I'd consider making it a heavier penalty, but not game breaking (seeing as cursing the monster deck increases the chances of drawing a null).

So I would suggest something more along the lines of:

-2: random monster appears -- depending on # of characters: 2/3/4 = 1 normal/1 elite/2 normals of different types.

-1: take damage equal to trap damage minus 1 (so starts at 2 damage at scenario level 1)

0: gain 2 coins (or maybe 3 coins)

+1: 5+L XP (where L is scenario level)

+2: gain one random item from the store deck

x2: gain one check mark

null: stunned and add two curses to the character's deck

There's room for more tweaking, but I think adding some scalability will be healthy for this idea being worthwhile in the later stages of a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:

Quote:

-1 - Take 2 HP damage
+0 - Gain 5 Gold
+1 - Gain 5 xp
X2 - Gain 1 check7

Encountered a similar situation today:

Friend: "It's going to be a long time before we wncounter any more Vermlings unless we repeat a scenario in casual mode."

Me: "OK."

Friend: "If we do X scenario, there are enough in the first room, how would you feel about just killing them and the surrendering instead of completing it?"

Me: "OK. But that doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like work. How about we skip the scenario altogether and just say you got the last 4 you need?"

And thus was avoided tedious drudgery that would have eaten up valuable fun time, and we managed to retire two characters and play two new classes we had never played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:

Encountered a similar situation today:

Friend: "It's going to be a long time before we wncounter any more Vermlings unless we repeat a scenario in casual mode."

Me: "OK."

Friend: "If we do X scenario, there are enough in the first room, how would you feel about just killing them and the surrendering instead of completing it?"

Me: "OK. But that doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like work. How about we skip the scenario altogether and just say you got the last 4 you need?"

And thus was avoided tedious drudgery that would have eaten up valuable fun time, and we managed to retire two characters and play two new classes we had never played before.

That would never happen at our table. Unless every other person had retired multiple times and someone was far behind. :/

TrangVP wrote:

So I would suggest something more along the lines of:

-2: random monster appears -- depending on # of characters: 2/3/4 = 1 normal/1 elite/2 normals of different types.

-1: take damage equal to trap damage minus 1 (so starts at 2 damage at scenario level 1)

0: gain 2 coins (or maybe 3 coins)

+1: 5+L XP (where L is scenario level)

+2: gain one random item from the store deck

x2: gain one check mark

null: stunned and add two curses to the character's deck

Hmm, good point about the scaling.

I do like the scaling of the Monster kinda, but I would probably add levels to the monster rather than split it into two. The intent (thematically) was that it was a mimic/shapeshifter. Since it WAS an already placed monster when it was in chest form it would drop loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.