Subject: Loki Card +0 Take 1 Rage from Winning Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Haddock
United States
flag msg tools
My family is new to Blood Rage.
So still learning.

We played a game the other day where one player took the Loki Card of +0, if you loose, take a rage point from winning player. This is a first age card.

So that player just kept playing it. So would play it on little skirmishes, where he knew he would loose and gain big rewards. And since he lost, it goes back in his hand. And if there was a battle where he would win, he would obviously not play that card.

It just seems like the player who gets that card has a big advantage. Can't really lose the card. And you have a "big" advantage the whole game.

I just want to make sure I am not missing something?

Probably we just need to learn better strategy but just wanted to make sure that we are correct that, it does keep going back into his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haddoccw wrote:
So still learning.

We played a game the other day where one player took the Loki Card of +0, if you loose, take a rage point from winning player. This is a first age card.

So that player just kept playing it. So would play it on little skirmishes, where he knew he would loose and gain big rewards. And since he lost, it goes back in his hand. And if there was a battle where he would win, he would obviously not play that card.

It just seems like the player who gets that card has a big advantage. Can't really lose the card. And you have a "big" advantage the whole game.

Probably we just need to learn better strategy but just wanted to make sure that we are correct that, it does keep going back into his hand.

We had the same thing in our first game but, there are a couple of cards that can force them to discard the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. It keeps coming back to his hand until someone plays Heimdall's Watch or he somehow get's tricked into winning a battle where he's played the card (oh, the irony of tricking the trickster).

Of course, there is price to pay for using it. You'll lose at least one figure (likely a Warrior) every time you lose a battle. So unless you combine it with Loki's Blessing you are not really getting much of a reward. Just punishing the other players.

And of course the winner will gain Battle Glory plus whatever winner's bonus he may be entitled to from the battle card (see Frigga's Grace). If you pillage unopposed, all you get is the Pillage reward and nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yup going against this card is tricky, especially when learning the game. But Blood Rage is not won by a single card; it is won by knowing the combos and planning for them. So draft not only to find combos but to keep the players after you from getting this card plus the ones that work well with it.

Some possible strategies include:
* Draft it yourself
* Once you know someone has it, lose a battle on purpose so they lose the card unexpectedly. (and don't forget there are plenty of ways in Blood Rage to GAIN points from losing a battle)
* Counter with Heimdal's Watch which forces everyone to discard the card they played
* Plan for Loki - Always expect to pay an extra Rage to win a battle in Age One (and Age Two) until you see the card and know who has it.
* Rush the end of the Age One by Pillaging every chance you get-- other players WILL help with this vs Loki

Age One is all about building up your clan, and starting with the clan stats. A player going full Loki can be locked out of pillaging even a single province if they aren't careful.

In our learning curve of Blood Rage we all ran out of Rage in the first game every Age, but in the second game several players got upset when the Ages ended before they "even had a chance to get my quests out".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, sometime he will have to choose between keeping it or discarding it at the end of an era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haddoccw wrote:
So still learning.

It' always good to play loose, you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boctor
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
It' always good to play loose, you know?

It's always great seeing Muphry's Law in action, you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.