7 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Snipers/Litter Teams rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Jones
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to watching some great videos and reading through the forum here I made it through my first game last night and pulled out a success by inches.

I had sniper trouble and casualty evacuation trouble, and ended up with a few questions.

1. I assume that litter teams are fired upon. Is that correct? I had two litter teams get shot and turn into MORE casualties that had to be evacuated.

2. Assuming that you've spotted a sniper and yet gotten him pinned, does he try to return fire as he's retreating? Or does he just constantly slide away?

3. If he DOES just slide away when pinned, how do you EVER nail a sniper if you don't manage to get him in that first turn he's spotted? Or is that just the way the bullet bounces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Hi, also a new player and your N°3 question also had me wondering - however, have you noted the last sentence of the second paragraph of 9.6 ?

Quote : " In contrast, Snipers in field fortifications or caves remain in place if spotted."

Trenches and Foxholes are field fortifications - and in Mission 1, trenches is the default enemy cover.

So, in all my attempts at Mission 1, my generated enemy Snipers have never retreated. I hope I'm correct in this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
mbmb
Oh, great catch. I missed that, no matter that it's clearly stated in the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
denis sauzedde
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. I assume that litter teams are fired upon. Is that correct?

Yes you're correct, only casualties are not fired upon
Quote:
2. Assuming that you've spotted a sniper and yet gotten him pinned, does he try to return fire as he's retreating? Or does he just constantly slide away?

If he's pinned, he's not a sniper anymore and during activity checks you chech the LAT/pinned chart and if he's pinned under cover, he has 2 chances of doing no action, 1 to try to rally to remove the pinned marker, and 1 to fall back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
denis sauzedde
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
Quote : " In contrast, Snipers in field fortifications or caves remain in place if spotted."

Trenches and Foxholes are field fortifications - and in Mission 1, trenches is the default enemy cover.

So, in all my attempts at Mission 1, my generated enemy Snipers have never retreated. I hope I'm correct in this

good point, but if he's getting pinned, he can fall back anyway (see above)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Barido
France
flag msg tools
Yes trenches are default cover for mission 1, but you should also pay attention to what the enemy package description says.
For snipers, it says "sniper under cover", and per rule 9.2.3 this means (at least that's how I understand it...) that the sniper should get a +1 cover marker, not the default cover.
So in this case the sniper is eligible for retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Hi All,
Seems I've been mis-interpreting the 9.2.3 Enemy Cover Rules - thanks Richard
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.