12 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Game 2 and 3 coming up... what do I need to know? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mb
We finished game one last weekend and I realized after the game was over that I messed up explaining a couple of rules to the group which caused some unnecessary delay of game as I was trying to figure out where I went wrong and some frustration after the end of game because we had been scoring victory points incorrectly in one case.

I want the next couple of games to go much smoother before I end up with an angry mob. Can you let me know what new mechanics will be coming up in game 2 and 3 that I can prepare for in advance so I can introduce them correctly this time? I don't mind spoilers if they are rules/mechanics based.

We were already introduced to minions in game 1 so I've got that down. I think I have a good grasp on how guideposts will work and I know about capacity for end of game 2. Anything else that would help to know in advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few sections on the FAQ that may help: https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mb
Thanks Jamey.

I will read through the FAQ to make sure I'm prepped.

Wonderful game, btw. I've never been so engaged or excited by a game before. I cannot wait for our next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Denga wrote:
We finished game one last weekend and I realized after the game was over that I messed up explaining a couple of rules to the group which caused some unnecessary delay of game as I was trying to figure out where I went wrong and some frustration after the end of game because we had been scoring victory points incorrectly in one case.

I want the next couple of games to go much smoother before I end up with an angry mob. Can you let me know what new mechanics will be coming up in game 2 and 3 that I can prepare for in advance so I can introduce them correctly this time? I don't mind spoilers if they are rules/mechanics based.

We were already introduced to minions in game 1 so I've got that down. I think I have a good grasp on how guideposts will work and I know about capacity for end of game 2. Anything else that would help to know in advance?

Why is it only you shouldering responsibility for the rules? This isn’t like a normal game, where somebody needs to learn the rules beforehand. The game is designed in a way that all players learn the rules together as a shared experience. It's excellent in this way, because there's no need for the customary know-all rules guru at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mb
Because I'm the game nerd in the group and dragged my wife and friends into it without them knowing what they were getting into

So I ran the first game to help them get started but now they are all excited about continuing so will share more of the responsibility going forward. But I do want it to be a smooth experience for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You unlocked
Spoiler (click to reveal)
minions
on Game 1? Wow, i don't even see how that's possible unless every player was doing nothing but opening crates. We got ours in game 4 IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mb
Yes, one of our players got the chef out of the 2nd crate he opened if I recall correctly. Unless I read the index wrong which is totally possible. Now I feel like I had better go back and check the opened crates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mb
ath3ist wrote:
Wow, i don't even see how that's possible unless every player was doing nothing but opening crates. We got ours in game 4 IIRC.

Looks like we did it right:
Opened Crate 6 which provided the Grain Market (crate 48). Crate 48 included the Chef minion and the related minion instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
ath3ist wrote:
You unlocked
minions
on Game 1? Wow, i don't even see how that's possible unless every player was doing nothing but opening crates. We got ours in game 4 IIRC.

We got a minion out game 2.
It’s cool when a game gives everyone a slightly different experience, really makes it feel unique!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denga wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
Wow, i don't even see how that's possible unless every player was doing nothing but opening crates. We got ours in game 4 IIRC.

Looks like we did it right:
Opened Crate 6 which provided the Grain Market (crate 48). Crate 48 included the Chef minion and the related minion instructions.

Wow, good to hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
You unlocked
minions

We got a minion out game 2.
It’s cool when a game gives everyone a slightly different experience, really makes it feel unique!

Agreed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ingram
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also hit them in game 1, not those in particular but
ghosts

Really threw us for a loop to. Will certainly have a big impact game 2 when I actually build the corresponding building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.