Subject: Primate Cloning a success rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/health/cloned-monkeys-study/i...

Apparently, cloning of primates is not easy to do, but the Chinese managed to do it, in a technique similar (but more sophisticated today) to the one that produced Dolly the sheep in 1996.

As a reminder, humans are the most advanced primate on the planet.

Are humans next?

More evidence that the technology here, is outstripping the ethical and moral discussions, that must surely take place if and when that next step is taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will they have a soul or do all clones have red hair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this like they time when China claimed they had a human clone baby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
in a technique similar (but more sophisticated today) to the one that produced Dolly the sheep in 1996.

When this happened, my sweet grandmother who grew up in old world Europe before the wars said "Big deal. All sheep look the same."

I'll never forget that and I love you Oma!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy macaqueral, Hu do they think they are?

Folks are going to go apeshit if China keeps monkeying around with human genes. Besides, it would provide then with a chimperary advantage at best.

If they do proceed, all we can do is say, Aye Aye and extend our special thin middle fingers at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Yay, I need spare parts. devil

More likely to come from pigs than cloned monkeys or growing human organs in vats, at least in the near term. Pigs reproduce much faster, are easier to raise, and don't raise as many ethical complaints from animal protection groups as our cousins in the primate family do. CRISPR has reignited interest in the last few years for using genetically modified pigs as the primary source of xenotransplanted organs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
As a reminder, humans are the most advanced primate on the planet.

Primate? Yes. Most advanced? Well there's "the wheel, New York, wars and so on". But that's not relevant here, we're down at the cellular level. More or less easy to clone than other primates (or other mammals come to that)? No idea. I doubt anyone here knows either. It's possible no one out there does either. Except of course in the legal/ethical sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.