Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
I'm confused about what the following text (from the Compendium) means; it seem contradictory:

Lost and not lost? What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Confusing text about loosing bonuses and abilities
Say one of the options contains 3 infantry units.
You lose 1-2 of those units causing the option to reach its breaking point and is turned over; the remaining surviving unit(s) is not lost and can continue to fight.

same for gear, orders and character traits
For example if the option gives an additional order you dont immediately lose that order which may still be placed on a unit to activate this turn.
only when calculating your nr of available orders for next turn would you count one less order.

There may be other options that do not fall in these categories and would effectively be lost when the option is turned over, though i cant give an example at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Angelsenior wrote:
Say one of the options contains 3 infantry units.
You lose 1-2 of those units causing the option to reach its breaking point and is turned over; the remaining surviving unit(s) is not lost and can continue to fight.

Indeed: no mention of units in the confusing text.

Angelsenior wrote:
same for gear, orders and character traits
For example if the option gives an additional order you dont immediately lose that order which may still be placed on a unit to activate this turn.
only when calculating your nr of available orders for next turn would you count one less order.

There may be other options that do not fall in these categories and would effectively be lost when the option is turned over, though i cant give an example at the moment.

So really nothing like the text in the rules: it's trying to explain the delay in loosing Orders (and nothing else)? Is that it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The things that are lost are bonuses such as extra order tokens awarded by the recruitment tile. Things such as units and gear that you used to fill the recruitment tile are not lost by the flipping of the recruitment tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lemonpips wrote:
The things that are lost are bonuses such as extra order tokens awarded by the recruitment tile. Things such as units and gear that you used to fill the recruitment tile are not lost by the flipping of the recruitment tile.

Yes, the rules say that clearly just before this text. This seems to be trying to say something else. Perhaps the last sentence should just be deleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Lemonpips wrote:

Yes, the rules say that clearly just before this text. This seems to be trying to say something else. Perhaps the last sentence should just be deleted?

Within the vocabulary of the rulebook, I see nothing wrong with the last sentence. Although I agree that DPG can really f up clarity, they seem quite clear in this instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 34 of the Compendium has a nice example on 'breaking points' and what you 'lose' when this breaking point is reached.

Like said above, when a recruitment option reached its breaking point, it is flipped. Next you lose the bonus this recruitment option brought (the extra star/order/thing on top of the leftmost recruitment slot in the example below). The orders are only lost at the end of the supply phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lemonpips wrote:
Within the vocabulary of the rulebook, I see nothing wrong with the last sentence.

Well in rules writing, unnecessary is always "wrong", especially when it's less clear than the same thing previously (in this case just) stated. If all this is saying is that you don't loose the Recruitment Options attached to a Recruitment Tile when the Recruitment Tile is flipped, it's not helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Lemonpips wrote:
Within the vocabulary of the rulebook, I see nothing wrong with the last sentence.

Well in rules writing, unnecessary is always "wrong", especially when it's less clear than the same thing previously (in this case just) stated. If all this is saying is that you don't loose the Recruitment Options attached to a Recruitment Tile when the Recruitment Tile is flipped, it's not helpful.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Unnecessary to one person is a helpful example/clarification/reminder to another. In addition, important rules are often restated and highlighted for emphasis and easy reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lemonpips wrote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. Unnecessary to one person is a helpful example/clarification/reminder to another. In addition, important rules are often restated and highlighted for emphasis and easy reference.

I think you're playing games with the word "unnecessary".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Lemonpips wrote:

I think you're playing games with the word "unnecessary".

Most disagreements turn on a lack of agreement on terms. Please define the word so that there is no disparity in our understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lemonpips wrote:
Most disagreements turn on a lack of agreement on terms.

That is a widespread fallacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Lemonpips wrote:
Most disagreements turn on a lack of agreement on terms.

That is a widespread fallacy.

I'll tell you what is clear: you are more interested in appearing intelligent and critical than engaging in a discussion, the primary purpose of a forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lemonpips wrote:
I'll tell you what is clear: you are more interested in appearing intelligent and critical than engaging in a discussion, the primary purpose of a forum.

Lots of assumptions there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Lemonpips wrote:

Before you get too carried away with your definitions you might want to look at the thread title. "Loosing" is not even a word!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
martimer wrote:
"Loosing" is not even a word!

It is, just the wrong one (though it almost makes sense in this context).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
martimer wrote:
"Loosing" is not even a word!

It is, just the wrong one (though it almost makes sense in this context).
I managed to forget about arrows! I even used to do archery as a hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.