Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at the KS tabletop games over the past week and there are some heavy hitters right now...HATE, Nemesis, Western Legends, and Tiny Epic Zombies...all are doing fairly well. I saw Warpgate and looked at it more closely...it looks seriously good in my estimation. It allows something akin to a 4X game in less than 2 hours and has no dice combat. Is it just getting lost among the other games? It has funded but I hope it gets more consideration. I have not backed yet myself, but of the games on KS right now this is the one I'm most interested in. Good luck Arty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrence Miltner

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right there with you. Doing what I can to get some more attention to this game as well. Nice to know it funded. I am also trying to be better about Kickstarting things this year. If I Kickstart any game this month it will likely be this one. It has a shorter play time and the price is right. For me, it feels like XIA and Galaxy of Trian got together and the result is this lovely game. What I really want to do is put together a Print and Play and see if the play is as much fun as it looks to be from the videos I have watched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
swr66 wrote:
Good luck Arty.

Thank you!

We're not running a CMON-magnitude campaign here, but I`m pretty happy with how everything is going so far

ChiVenger wrote:
What I really want to do is put together a Print and Play and see if the play is as much fun as it looks to be from the videos I have watched.

Don't forget to share how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam London
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the issue is Kickstarter is crowded right now. It is a shame that a torrent of KS exclusives and FOMO together can make people forget that the point of crowdfunding is to get something of the ground that wouldn't happen without you.

Even though I am backing a few of the aforementioned behemoths, if I had to only pick one thing to stick with on KS this month it would be Warpgate.

It probably would have been a good idea to try to rally backers from the first campaign to get it into the BGG most anticipated for 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrence Miltner

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also something to be said to all that traffic coming to KS to back things. Maybe they will check out other games and find this one to back as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big name publishers and expensive components with lots of KS Exclusives tend to sell well but don't always make up for the best gameplay. The box sizes of some of them are overwhelming.

I agree with some of the comments regarding different ship miniatures for the different alien races as being something that would attract a few more people because it seems a little generic otherwise. Maybe as an affordable add on....unfortunately I'm getting a little burned out on KS and have sold about 70% of the games that I've backed...a few have been excellent, but the long wait and risk doesn't seem worth it.

I may opt to back Warpgate, hopefully it will deliver on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnotherHorrorFan wrote:
I agree that the issue is Kickstarter is crowded right now. It is a shame that a torrent of KS exclusives and FOMO together can make people forget that the point of crowdfunding is to get something of the ground that wouldn't happen without you.

My sentiments exactly. Luckily, I don't back pre-order campaigns on principle. so it was Warpgate all the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam London
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swr66 wrote:
I agree with some of the comments regarding different ship miniatures for the different alien races as being something that would attract a few more people because it seems a little generic otherwise. Maybe as an affordable add on....

I doubt this is economical for them, but if it were I would definitely buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tokarski
msg tools
Different ship miniatures would help, myself was lite doubtful about the generic look of them. Regardless of this I've decided to give Warpage a chance and backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
cofnine wrote:
Different ship miniatures would help, myself was lite doubtful about the generic look of them. Regardless of this I've decided to give Warpage a chance and backed it.

Here's the thing. Due to the fact that miniatures are colored, changing a sculpt would require a separate mold for each additional color.
We're talking tens of thousands for just the molds.
I would really love to have all the ships different, but it just isn't viable. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:
cofnine wrote:

Here's the thing. Due to the fact that miniatures are colored, changing a sculpt would require a separate mold for each additional color.
We're talking tens of thousands for just the molds.
I would really love to have all the ships different, but it just isn't viable. Sorry.

As someone that has been collecting miniatures for over 30 years, I'm well aware of the process and expense ... 3D printing options will soon revolutionize the miniature industry...but that is still years away. I'm still considering backing the project and the spaceships won't affect my decision, but for the average person looking at the project it may. one thought could be 2-4 different styles of ship in the 'same' color and different color base rings to differentiate races/players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
swr66 wrote:
one thought could be 2-4 different styles of ship in the 'same' color and different color base rings to differentiate races/players.

We did this with Guards of Atlantis and it works in there because a single miniature always occupies a single hex.

In Warpgate, you might have 5 ships orbiting a single planet attacked by 7 enemy ships. Positioning them with the bases would become really awkward.

We've considered that option, but we have to go with "usability first" and as such the bases were not an option.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:

In Warpgate, you might have 5 ships orbiting a single planet attacked by 7 enemy ships. Positioning them with the bases would become really awkward.

When reading your description, I realized just how useful stackable ships are. If you haven't designed them that way and still have the option of modifying the models, consider making that minor alteration. All you need is a little slot in the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar JA
msg tools
DeS_Tructive wrote:
nichik wrote:

When reading your description, I realized just how useful stackable ships are. If you haven't designed them that way and still have the option of modifying the models, consider making that minor alteration. All you need is a little slot in the bottom.

Agree, stackable ships would be an amazing option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brenton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a great example of stackable spaceships, see Cosmic Encounter. I might be tempted to borrow the ships from my copy actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.