Terra Mystica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to beat Darklings and Grey in same game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Nguyen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Seems lately that no matter what (tiles out, what colors other players choose), my opponents keep choosing Darklings and a grey race - they then take over the Eastern continent and go ham.

I used to beat the Darklings by keeping them isolated over in the East. Now, they and grey feed off each other and vie for top spot.

Do I pick a specific color to try and block them in East? Seems like any other race would just get trapped in.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
The answer will depend to some extent on which map you're playing, how many players there are, and so forth; but in a 4-player game on the original map (i.e., tournament settings), the most reliable answer I know of is: play cultists, and join the party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nguyen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Would you take the 2 brown spots on the Eastern continent? Doesn't that make it hard for you to expand? (Seems its easier for Black to get to good spots than for you to race them there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PStrangerX wrote:
Would you take the 2 brown spots on the Eastern continent? Doesn't that make it hard for you to expand? (Seems its easier for Black to get to good spots than for you to race them there)

I wouldn't put both my starting dwellings over there. I'd start at F5 and E6 most likely, although depends where my opponents place their dwellings. Black and Grey will have more to think about with Brown also in the game, so placing dwellings isn't as automatic as just plopping them on the Eastern continent for those factions anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nguyen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok - good advice everyone! I just chose cultists for 1 game: Giants, Darklings, Engineers and Cultists (I picked last).

I will let you know how it turns out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
You should do well, especially if Giants decide to join the fun with an initial dwelling on D7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to be mean to the engineer pickers you could also pick witches devil

But in that case the darkling player will probably leave you two fighting for territory while he wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke J
msg tools
I actually had a rather embarrassing game as Engineers where I ended up in 4th place despite no color neighbors. Other players managed to successfully keep the spades away from me until Round 4 by taking Act5 and Act6 both on the first turn, one player burning down to 5 power tokens on Round 2, which meant the Nomads beat me to E9. That's just away too deep a hole to dig out of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
bluesheep wrote:
If you want to be mean to the engineer pickers you could also pick witches devil

But in that case the darkling player will probably leave you two fighting for territory while he wins the game.
Indeed - picking Witches when Engineers + Darklings are in the game will most likely throw the game to the Darklings while W+E fight for 3rd place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Depends on the 4th. If its Nomads, yeah, Darklings have the edge. But Cultists tend to dominate pretty hard against those three factions, and if its something weird like Mermaids you wind up with a big ol' mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sandman
Germany
flag msg tools
https://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S22_D3L3_G1/witc...

A recent game where both have been beaten at the same time at a relatively high and competitive level.
It is enough to have witches in the game to put engineers in a non-favourable position pretty much independent from the rest of the picks. And if you have something like D,E,C a witch pick is not to bad although cultists are most of the time favourite in this faction combination.

Edit: found also a witch-victory in this setup in my tournament history:
https://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S18_D2L1_G3

More love for the witches!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhrun
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also limiting my answer to the most played setup (=TMtour format):

I like Witches too and dream of picking Witches into Engineers still..
And winning of course..
Statistically it is conceivable but not likely and I have been too prudent so far to gamble that muchmodest

Statistically Mermaids seem to be an ok answer in lower level play, but not so much with strong players, where Swarmlings might stand a better chance sometimes.
Often brown will be best - as Steve pointed out, mostly Cultists or occasionally Halflings.

And though this is what DocCool would call anecdotal and probably not typical:
Cultist win:
https://terra.snellman.net/game/4pLeague_S22_D1L1_G5
Swarmlings win more or less:
https://terra.snellman.net/game/4pLeague_S21_D1L1_G3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.