Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"She asked for it". Always such an enchanting defense

Quote:
Rep. Pat Meehan (R-Pa.) said Tuesday that the aide who accused him of sexual harassment had “invited” the behavior in question.

“That I would find later that that was not something that she was comfortable with, really hurts me,” Meehan told the The New York Times in an interview. “This was a person who specifically invited communication with me so that she would be able to have the ability to be there for me.”

The former aide, whose name is not public but who is decades younger than Meehan, accused the congressman of hostile behavior after he learned that she was in a relationship with someone near her age.

Meehan told the Times on Tuesday that he didn’t respond “as well as [he] would like to have” after learning of the aide’s relationship. She filed a complaint against the congressman, who is 62 and married with three children, accusing him of becoming “hostile” in the incident.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/370456-gop-rep-facing-sexu...

If the idea was to make himself more sympathetic by giving his side of the story, it seems to have come rather a cropper.

But another story is even better

Quote:
Meehan confirmed the outline of the Times story, which said the married 62-year-old expressed his romantic desires to his aide after she began a serious relationship with someone else, then grew hostile when she did not reciprocate. After filing her complaint, she received a settlement and ultimately left the job, and reportedly felt traumatized by the entire experience.

But he denied harassing her, and said any hostility he may have exhibited stemmed from stress around high-pressure votes last year over the Affordable Care Act. He said that he sought to remain loyal to his wife, and that he used his office funds to settle the harassment claim so he and the aide could move on and keep the issue private.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/pat-meehan-soul-m...

Blaming Obama reaches a new low, even for the GOP

Rep Meehan is still going ahead with plans for his reelection campaign. It might be in the party's best interest for him to find the need "to spend more time with my family during this difficult time", unless the goal is to see just how many women they can drive away from the party

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
"Another one bites the dust" (in 2018)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
He comes off as a real psycho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is his district suburban (Real Work) or urban (Office Work)?

THIS MATTERS.

It's so gerrymandered that I'm understandably confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Is his district suburban (Real Work) or urban (Office Work)?

Whichever represents "real American workers", that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:

Holy crap. That's a fucking Congressional district?

I know I'm in a minority (both in the USA and here in RSP) but we really need to give serious thought to district-less representation.

</derail>

Edited for typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. We do have district-less representation already - it's the Senate.

I'm a fan of more localized representation, as well as bicameral legislatures, but I think simply removing the perverse incentives out of the districting process (remove humans as much as possible, have a public algorithm open to comment/criticism, etc) should be sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
He comes off as a real psycho.

Quote:
Meehan said he told the aide “that I was a happily married man and I was not interested in a relationship, particularly not any sexual relationship, but we were soul mates. I think that the idea of soul mate is that sort of person that you go through remarkable experiences together.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/pat-meehan-soul-m...

Really really creepy. "We were soul mates" is something one expects to hear from a suspect at the scene of a crime of passion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.