14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for solo-player strategy fighting game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bond
msg tools
Hi!

I am currently completely devastated, because after looking for a game for many-many hours during past several days, I can't find anything that fits my criteria. Would really appreciate if you know anything along the following lines:

- Game for 1+ players (+ is optional)
- Strategy game, very much preferred to be 4X type of game
- Fighting
- Sci-fi preferred, but optional

I very much liked Eclipse, but sadly I don't have anyone at the moment to play it with. So looking for something similar for 1 player (yeah I know Eclipse has unofficial solitaire version, but it looked too repetitive). Scythe did not seem to have enough combat for my liking. Galaxy defenders was also great (and I will probably buy it if I don't find anything better), but it did not have enough 4X part. Space Empires: 4X seemed great, but paper-and-pencil element let me down. Struggle for the galaxy is not available in my country sadly.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo, eh?

Something fairly light that hits a 4X, Sci-Fi vibe, but has only minimal and heavily abstracted fighting, is Tiny Epic Galaxies

A much heavier solution would be to check out Space Empires: 4X, though it doesn't wear its theme quite as explicitly as Eclipse does.

If you really want an awesome (semi-)4X solo strategy game that has a wonderful fighting system, rich thematic depth, and a very immersive experience, check out Mage Knight Board Game. The only box of yours that it doesn't check is "Sci-fi", but it is a fine fantasy cousin.

Nemo's War (second edition) is between printings now, so may be a bit pricey. It is a solo-only game based on Jules Verne's classic Captain Nemo, so Sci-fi for its day and pleasantly retro steampunk-ish by today's standards. It is effectively a proper war game with rich combat, but it is somewhat abstracted relative to Eclipse.

Happy hunting!

Edit: Typos
Edit 2: Added Nemo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:

If you really want an awesome (semi-)4X solo strategy game that has a wonderful fighting system, rich thematic depth, and a very immersive experience, check out Mage Knight Board Game. The only box of yours that it doesn't check is "Sci-fi", but it is a fine fantasy cousin.

That's what Star Trek: Frontiers is for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:

Touche. I keep forgetting that it exists, because I play MK. For the OP, Star Trek: Frontiers is a re-skin of Mage Knight set in the Star Trek universe. It has some differences, and more than a few vocal detractors who say it isn't as robust as MK, but I haven't played it so can't speak to its quality. Hypothetically, it may be the game you seek, Sci-fi and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a thought, combat & exploration and empire maintenance. Struggle for the Galactic Empire

good game, many scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bond
msg tools
thegreybetween wrote:
Solo, eh?

Yeah, I know, I want too much. Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look.

Mage Knight/ST: Frontiers seem as great games, of course. But I feel like they are way too much of an RPG type, rather than strategy. Or am I wrong there?

oldbrownsfan wrote:
Here's a thought, combat & exploration and empire maintenance.

I saw it, but sadly it is not available in my country. Usually shipping from amazon costs double as much for smaller items, so I am afraid it will be very much expensive for a board game. What a shame, it actually looked fun. Thanks anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FifthRom wrote:
Mage Knight/ST: Frontiers seem as great games, of course. But I feel like they are way too much of an RPG type, rather than strategy. Or am I wrong there?

Mage Knight/ST: Frontiers is not very RPG at all but is very heavy on strategy. I mean, you could make up a story as you're playing the game, but you certainly can't make story-based decisions and expect to still win. Movement/combat is based on your hand of cards and combat resolution does not involve any dice.

Edit: Here are some 4x games with combat that can be played solo. They're not all sci-fi themed though.

Space Empires: 4X

March of the Ants

51st State: Master Set
...Okay so let me explain the 4x part. Exploring is the draft phase where you find more locations. Expanding is constructing locations into your tableau. Exploiting is using your locations, making deals, and razing cards in your hand. Exterminating is attacking the virtual player's locations. I know it's a stretch, but I'm really biased in favor of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
FifthRom wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:
Solo, eh?

Yeah, I know, I want too much. Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look.

oldbrownsfan wrote:
Here's a thought, combat & exploration and empire maintenance.

I saw it, but sadly it is not available in my country. Usually shipping from amazon costs double as much for smaller items, so I am afraid it will be very much expensive for a board game. What a shame, it actually looked fun. Thanks anyway!

Actually, this is a wonderful time to be a solo gamer! And I play quite a few of them myself (if it isn't obvious from my recommendations).

You might want to check out the 1 Player guild for a wonderful solo community and a likely source of very personalized recommendations.

As the poster above me noted, while MK has a very RPG-like theme, the game itself is actually not a RPG-like experience. It features a modular map to explore and a level-based progression system, but at its core it is a very tactical strategy game with some very satisfying battle mechanisms. Watch a video or two for it, and I think you'll get a pretty good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:

This!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Frontiers
Centauri Saga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bond
msg tools
thegreybetween wrote:

Actually, this is a wonderful time to be a solo gamer! And I play quite a few of them myself (if it isn't obvious from my recommendations).

You might want to check out the 1 Player guild for a wonderful solo community and a likely source of very personalized recommendations.

As the poster above me noted, while MK has a very RPG-like theme, the game itself is actually not a RPG-like experience. It features a modular map to explore and a level-based progression system, but at its core it is a very tactical strategy game with some very satisfying battle mechanisms. Watch a video or two for it, and I think you'll get a pretty good idea.

Yeah, I have seen the guild, even went through their Top 100 list. I might have missed something here and there, thus I came here to ask. Apparently I did miss ST:Frontiers.

I have watched the review of the game before and it just looked like an RPG with deck-building feature. It was a bit hard to see how much strategy is there (due to complexity of the game). Apparently, I am wrong, so that is great!

Thank you a lot for the suggestions everybody! I will probably buy the Frontiers game, just need to convince myself that it is worth the high price, haha.

EDIT: Ordered the game. Thanks again everyone! Can't wait to play it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a last game, after you already ordered one... whistle

Exodus: Edge of Extinction is the expansion to the 4x game Exodus: Proxima Centauri and has some solo scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bond
msg tools
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Just a last game, after you already ordered one... whistle

Exodus: Edge of Extinction is the expansion to the 4x game Exodus: Proxima Centauri and has some solo scenarios.

Haha, thanks! Sadly the game is once again not sold in my country :/. But maybe it will help someone who will search for something similar in the future, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Street Fighter V

Solo
Plenty of strategy
Some of the characters are sci-fi
Tons of fighting... in fact that’s all it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.