Charterstone» Forums » Sessions

Subject: After Game 2 Impressions - Major Spoilers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I purchased this game the day after it came out, and I have been waiting anxiously to get my group together to finally play. This happened, finally, this past Saturday, and these are my (our) first impressions. My group consists of me, my wife, and our husband-wife friends. I have kept vigilant to avoid any spoilers pre-game.

MAJOR POST GAME 2 SPOILERS AHEAD

To begin, I set the board up with each Charter Chest placed on its charter, and took the Persona cards out and placed them next to their Charter Chests (I know, I skipped ahead slightly pregame ). This past month while waiting to play my wife and I came up with an assortment of names for the Personas, and I was excited to hear what our friends had come up with as well. I found out about the Persona cards only a few days prior to playing (and that some were men and some were woman), and I was a bit sad that Wheatney Houston wasn’t going to be a possibility. Once we were all sat around the Charters that we wanted (I chose Red, and my name is Clay Bakin) and had named all of our Personas, we pulled the first card from the Index and began.

The background story aspect of the first few pulls went over very well. We were impressed with the image it built of us unloading into our Charters and beginning new lives there. Once we had gone over the story, the game started off as I imagine it does with a great many groups: our player who went first immediately opened her crate. The Reference Card worked great, and it took only a few seconds to pull the correct cards from the Index and give them over. The additional Persona, and rule to correspond, were easy to understand, and everyone was quite eager to open their own crates (although nobody wanted to bump her from the Charterstone). I immediately got to work acquiring one of each resource to complete the Objective, and everyone else attempted to acquire Advancement cards. Our second round saw another crate opening, which bounced the First Player, and then shortly after we all had opened our starting crates and were attempting to construct our next buildings.

My wife (Pat Queen Coal) was the first player to construct her next building, and she chose to construct the building at which you can exchange a Coal for two Gold. Being that we were all new to the game, we didn’t realize the impact that specific buildings could have on the game, particularly when it comes to choosing which building to construct in your Charter first (other than the original one, obviously). My wife didn’t have any coal left, but I did, and I immediately jumped on that and gained the two Gold, which I planned to use for another Crate. My wife then realized that she should have stockpiled coal for a few turn before constructing that building instead of allowing us early access to the Coal-for-Gold exchange. Needless to say the rest of us planned carefully which building we constructed first in our own Charters.

Gameplay continued at a pretty steady pace from here with everyone grasping the general concept of the Euro-style, gather-and-trade play style (our married friends hadn’t played a Euro-style game before). I was the first to run out of Influence as I was playing fast and loose with them. I have heard some people say they wished they had known that the spent Influence resets at the end of game one, but I don’t feel that the lack of that knowledge caused anyone to stray from anything they wanted to do. I just happened to be taking a number of turns at the “pay one influence for extra resources/VP” because I’m greedy. Once that happened the reality of the game timer really set in and our group was frantically trying complete the plans that they had made. After reaffirming our knowledge that we could take everything in our personal collections over to Game 2, we all began the final push to acquire everything we needed. Many crates were opened, and the schemer of the group figured out how to utilize the Cloudport to maximise his point gain and eventually win Game 1. On my last turn (third-last of the game) I opened a crate that unlocked Golems. Opening that tiny box and extracting the Golem pieces was a great experience, and it definitely sparked great curiosity in our group at what else this game will introduce to us. After the next two turns were taken, we ended Game 1.

The end-of-game scoring and tallying was smooth and all accounting went easily. Everyone immediately understood the Reputation scoring, and the allocation of Glory took only a few seconds to figure out before we were all talking about which line would be best to buff up first. The three losers of Game 1 each had two Glory to allocate, and the winner pushed himself just past 30 in Game 1 to score an extra Glory over us. I chose to place my Glory stars on the Gold track. I don’t really know if it will be worth the single Gold per game, but only time will tell! Once everyone had filled in their Glory, we pulled the next cards from the Index. I love the consolation prize; allowing the losers of Game 1 to choose the Charter names is a great touch, and it put a smile on our faces. Most of the Charters were named after towns and cities near where we live (Coalowna instead of Kelowna), but some were ones that people unfamiliar with the area would know: Clay-ifornia, Schrute Farm (vegetable charter), Scranton (we are all fans of The Office), and Woodstock (Forest), among others. We deliberated on the names for about 10 minutes, but none of us minded the delay of gameplay. I am really coming around to the concept of Legacy games (this is my first).

Game 2 saw the introduction of Guidepost Goals, with the winner getting the bonus of scratching off the bottom half of the Guidepost card and making a choice. This was great because it gave us something concrete to work towards, without being too restrictive. Being that the reward was basically unknown, it leaves the choice up to the player on whether they wish to sacrifice some moves in order to win the Guidepost, with the possibility that the reward is lackluster. As it turned out, my wife won the Guidepost without knowing that she had even won it. We were all so into our plans at the end of Game 2 that we had kind of forgotten about the Guidepost Goal.

The play of Game 2 was much different than that of Game 1. We were all spending our Influence with much greater ease this time around, understanding the nuances of trading them for certain benefits that pushed us into better and better plays. Buildings were getting built much faster, and crates were being opened quite rapidly. Halfway through Game 2 we had discovered the Cats and the Robots to add to our collection of Minions in the General Supply. My charter was the only one with a building in which a Minion could be built (Golems), and at the end of Game 2 I had two Golems in my party assisting me. The effect of being able to obtain one of any resource upon placement of the Golems should have led to my win of the Guidepost Goal, but because we had all forgotten about it, I ended up spending most of my resources on exchange for Gold to open more Crates (I love a good Crate opening). The game ended much quicker this time, being that everyone but myself ran out of influence around the same time, and the Marker began to move rapidly toward the Hourglass. On my last turn, I was able to open a Crate, and I unlocked the Peril cubes. Understanding how these worked took a bit of talking out, but we feel that we have a good grasp on them going into Game 3 now. The player who won Game 1 ended up winning Game 2, thanks in part to his VP gain given to him by a few of the Assistant cards he had gained in Game 1 (and carried over to Game 2). I am quite interested to see the balancing now that the Capacity rules are in place. He had quite a number of Advancement Cards going into Game 2, and it definitely pushed him ahead quite rapidly on the VP Track.

Because my wife won the Guidepost, she got to scratch off the next instruction on the bottom of the Guidepost card. She was pretty excited about this. We all commented that this game does a great job of giving tangible rewards that feel great winning. She then had a choice to make: does she anger the King and take a bonus for all of her coins, or does she appease the King and take a bonus for all of her resources. The funny thing about it was that she had the same amount of coins as she did resources, so the choice was slightly more difficult for her. In the end, she chose to keep the King happy and took the bonus for all the resources she had. Once we located the cards from the Index Guide for the correct Crate from her choice, we saw that there were Rules stickers to be affixed over previous stickers to amend certain rules. This is such a great mechanic, and has got our group very ecstatic about the discoveries in our future games.

Overall, this game has been better than I had hoped. The mechanics are easy to learn, and the player is able to go as deep with strategy as they feel comfortable with, from simply working towards constructing a Building and ignoring the other players’ movements, to planning your moves around blocking others in order to get bumped. I was slightly concerned about our married couple as this was their first experience with a Worker Placement game, but they caught on very quick, and I truly believe that Charterstone is a great introduction to this genre. The theme of the game is great, and the flavor text on some of the cards is enough to keep us in the fantasy while not demanding a lot of energy to follow along. There were a few bumps along the way as far as certain rules were concerned (the allocation of Personal Supply rather than General Supply Influence onto Reputation had one player a bit unhappy), but all in all the game was easily explained in the beginning, and the new additions to the rule book were just the right amount of extra weight; not too heavy, but not inconsequential either.

The first two games took us about two and a half hours to complete, but much of that was Game 1 explanation and the introduction of some of the heavier additions (Minions, Guideposts, etc.), with Game 1 lasting about an hour and a half, and Game 2 lasting about 45 minutes, with the rest of the time spent on Glory allocation and Charter naming between Games 1 and 2. The game is amazing so far, and has really hooked our group. We are playing more games this Sunday (I hope to get in 3-4), and I hope to have my Mid-Game review up next week.

Thank you for a great experience so far, Jamey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Great mini review!
Seems like your group is really going to enjoy charterstone. It’s just going to keep getting better and better.

Here’s a couple of rule clarifications. Sounds like you guys have been playing t correctly (double checking new rules and discussing what they mean) but just in case there was any confusion.

- Remember that whoever unlocks something gets to take one of that thing that was unlocked and add it to their personal supply.

- you own minions can only be placed in your own charter. You can’t place your minion in someone else’s charter (this is a common confusion)

- remember that any effect that uses the term “worker” is talking about minions too

-peril cubes are placed in charter buildings not neutral (in the middle) buildings or in the cloud port.

- order of process (the order in which things resolve) becomes very important once you start unlocking certain buildings, you’ll see which I mean in future plays.

The order is:
Place worker
If worker is a minion, do minion ability first thing before you do anything with the building.
Pay building cost
Receive benefit
Pick up peril cube

- Always remember to pick up peril cubes AFTER you gain the benefit of the building.

- all building costs are mandatory but benefits are always optional. You can gain all, some, or none of the befits to a building.

- if a game effect would have you gain back influence you can choose not to gain it back.

- if a game effect would cause you to gain a reputation on the track you can choose not to.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Estella

California
msg tools
mb
LateShacka wrote:
Great mini review!

- Remember that whoever unlocks something gets to take one of that thing that was unlocked and add it to their personal supply.

- you own minions can only be placed in your own charter. You can’t place your minion in someone else’s charter (this is a common confusion)

- remember that any effect that uses the term “worker” is talking about minions too

Have fun!

1. Aren't you allowed to take everything in the chest that you unlock; unless you mean
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the end of each game where you can only take 1 of each item, depending on how you much you upgrade your charter hold (forgot the term).

2. Also in addition to minion placement,
you can only place them on unoccupied spaces. If another player places their worker on a space that is occupied by a minion, YOU get the benefit for the minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
marLONE wrote:
LateShacka wrote:
Great mini review!

Have fun!

1. Aren't you allowed to take everything in the chest that you unlock; unless you mean
the end of each game where you can only take 1 of each item, depending on how you much you upgrade your charter hold (forgot the term).

2. Also in addition to minion placement,
you can only place them on unoccupied spaces. If another player places their worker on a space that is occupied by a minion, YOU get the benefit for the minion.

1. I meant that yes you extract all the cards but you take one of the thing that was unlocked. I.e I unlocked the golems therefore I take one golem into my supply.

2. Yes! Thank you for that I can’t believe I forgot to state that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Sam! That's a great list of reminders; I will definitely have those in front of me when we resume. We have been doing all of those mostly, but I need to definitely remember the Peril rules you mentioned and I appreciate the clarification on the optionality of benefits; one of our members is pretty frustrated with the Reputation (we were forcing everyone to place Influence on Rep as a reward, if Influence was available). I really appreciate the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification on the unoccupied spaces, Marlon. I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
youre welcome! Can’t wait to read your future reviews on your sessions.

Always remember that if you have any questions post them on here. The charterstone community is super helpful, you’ll get answers very quickly. Even Jaime will answer questions from time to time, he’s very active.

And I understand the frustration one of your players had with the reputation thing, sometimes you just want to hold on to your influence. The beauty of the game is that the players are in control of the pace. I’ve seen games go for 2 hours and others last 40 minutes. All depending on how long the players are willing to drag out the game. It’s nice to have a game that lets players push and pull the pace according to whatever is going on.

Do tell that player not to hold on to their influence for too long though or someone might end the game before they can use it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We played games 2 & 3 tonight.
Enjoyed reading your summary. We're in similar stage of game so nothing was spoiled and the point on perils was an important clarification. Next time we play (this weekend) I'll let our group know about that and that they don't have to take all the rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.