Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Fung
United States
Westbury
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Juma,

I am curious about the design process of CoC. When you came up with the idea for CoC, you must have foreseen how similar it is to Terra Mystica in terms of gameplay or mechanism. So my question is as follows. How did you "come to terms" or decide to use such mechanism at the risk of being constantly compared to TM or accused of plagiarism/not being original? Was there any communication between you and Jens Drögemüller or Helge Ostertag, the designers of TM?

Please don't be offended by this question. I am a big fan of yours and CoC is my favorite game of 2017. I've taught it multiple times during PAX Unplugged and wish everyone have a chance to appreciate your masterpiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tmf2115 wrote:
Hello Juma,

I am curious about the design process of CoC. When you came up with the idea for CoC, you must have foreseen how similar it is to Terra Mystica in terms of gameplay or mechanism. So my question is as follows. How did you "come to terms" or decide to use such mechanism at the risk of being constantly compared to TM or accused of plagiarism/not being original? Was there any communication between you and Jens Drögemüller or Helge Ostertag, the designers of TM?

Please don't be offended by this question. I am a big fan of yours and CoC is my favorite game of 2017. I've taught it multiple times during PAX Unplugged and wish everyone have a chance to appreciate your masterpiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
His discussion of his inspirations and the development in this interview may be of interest.

Begins around the 6:09 mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Luigi Tartaglia
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He also made this Designer Diary: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/223665/clans-caledonia-de...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
tmf2115 wrote:
Hello Juma,
How did you "come to terms" or decide to use such mechanism at the risk of being constantly compared to TM or accused of plagiarism/not being original? Was there any communication between you and Jens Drögemüller or Helge Ostertag, the designers of TM?

This question is definitely weird. First of all, being compared to TM is not a risk if CoC itself is a good game comparable to TM. And it is.

Also, I don't even know how you can even accuse CoC of plagiarism. It's definitely not similar enough to mention word "Plagiarism". You can of course say it's not a very original game but it's totally fine since designer's goal is often not making a game that's most original. In fact, it's often recommended to draw inspirations from existing games and mix them to make another good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.