Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Does a scenario aid token count as a token as far as making a hex non-empty? I don't see anything that says otherwise in the FAQ, but it seems counter-intuitive that a "1" on a door to indicate you're going to read flavor text would make that hex non-empty (doors themselves don't count as negating non-empty).

I couldn't find any clarification on it, what do folks think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know that I've seen an official ruling, but since sometimes those tokens are used to ...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
spawn monsters

... which must normally happen in an empty hex, I'd say they don't count as filling the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play them as empty hexes. We usually treat them only as reminders and even remove the letter from the door as soon as we read the flavour text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've always wondered the reasoning behind why the presence of a coin makes a hex unsuitable for something to be summoned or spawned there. unless it was specifically just to provide a sort of limit to spawn/summon mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I've always wondered the reasoning behind why the presence of a coin makes a hex unsuitable for something to be summoned or spawned there. unless it was specifically just to provide a sort of limit to spawn/summon mechanics.

It’s a stretch, but maybe so you can’t place a summon on the coin, thus blocking another player from moving into that hex (and getting the coin)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a lot of folklore, demons and the fae are harmed by iron -- so it's possible that the presence of metals disrupts the casting of the summon spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

Wait this is a rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
mellman99 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Wait this is a rule?

Meh, it's only technically a rule according to the FAQ.

We dont stop things from spawning/summoning if there are a bunch of coins everywhere.

Quote:
Can you explain the difference between an unoccupied hex and an empty hex?
An unoccupied hex has no figures (monsters, characters or character summons) present. An empty hex has no figures, tokens (money or otherwise), or overlay tiles of any kind (except corridors, open doors, and pressure plates) present.

The rules say summons/spawned monsters must be placed in an empty hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Empty Hex" is defined on p.19 of the rulebook under the rules for flying creatures (that lose flying when over a obstacle). As to why a previously flying monster can't land on a coin?? Your guess is as good as mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
"Empty Hex" is defined on p.19 of the rulebook under the rules for flying creatures (that lose flying when over a obstacle). As to why a previously flying monster can't land on a coin?? Your guess is as good as mine.

only reason I can think of was to prevent people from dropping monsters that were hovering over obstacles onto traps or hazards (they already take trap damage for falling on top of an obstacle).

Of course both rule peculiarities could be avoided by omitting "token" from the definition of "empty hex"

I'm not sure how often any figures really ever lose flying during a scenario anyway, much less losing flying while hovering over an obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
As to why a previously flying monster can't land on a coin?? Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is that gold tokens represents a monster's corpse (or, in case of pre-spawned tokens, other valuables) that can be looted, and the gold you get for tokens are, in fact, the amount of money you get when selling the loot.

A corpse would definitely be a good reason not to summon or land on that hex.

That the corpses disappear after being looted is Isaac sticking to the KISS approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
You're bringing thematic interpretation into a mechanical rule. The mechanic being, it's easier to make one rule without exceptions, than many rules with many different exceptions. No, it doesn't make much sense but at least it's not an absolute feel-bad like the rolling modifier-advantage thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Willottica wrote:
As to why a previously flying monster can't land on a coin?? Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is that gold tokens represents a monster's corpse (or, in case of pre-spawned tokens, other valuables) that can be looted, and the gold you get for tokens are, in fact, the amount of money you get when selling the loot.

A corpse would definitely be a good reason not to summon or land on that hex.

That the corpses disappear after being looted is Isaac sticking to the KISS approach.

Hey, any competent alchemist would happily pay an arm and a leg for a mostly intact corpse!

The real question is how you can fit entire corpses into your pouches of holding, but can't find anywhere to store a second potion (until you get some more experience...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
You're bringing thematic interpretation into a mechanical rule. The mechanic being, it's easier to make one rule without exceptions, than many rules with many different exceptions. No, it doesn't make much sense but at least it's not an absolute feel-bad like the rolling modifier-advantage thing

If you can find a thematic interpretations for rules, it's a lot easier to remember them and apply them correctly. In the coin token = lootable corpse example, form can clearly follow function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:

if people can whine incessantly about the rolling advantage thing, I can whine incessantly about this. haha. (though honestly, it doesn't really bother me. I'm fine with the possibility of monsters not being able to summon reinforcements because coins are in the way).

But there are already exceptions to this rule (corridor tiles, open doors, pressure plates). And I can't think of other types of "tokens" that would interfere with summons any more than coins would. (unless character summons are considered tokens, after all the component list does refer to them as summon tokens)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Corridors, open doors and pressure plates are all supposed to function as part of the background map, though. They hardly qualify as "tokens".

Also, no. You do not get to whine about anything! That would be silly. Only I get to whine about things, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Harris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First edition doesn't even come with the "aid" tokens (with letters on them). So doesn't that settle the question?

If a hex is marked "a" in the scenario book, then hex "a" on your board/tile has to be empty in 1st edition (because there is no aid token as part of the game to even place there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I haven't even been using those tokens as some people apparently have been. I never interpreted the map to say "place a 1 token on this door," just "when you open this door, read the 1 passage."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.