9 Posts

Tiny Epic Zombies» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestion for Stretch Goals: Mutations and Survival Tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that TEZ is simple and quick playing so I don't want to mess with that too much, but one thing I thought would be fun is adding small twists into the game that tweak it. To that end, this is my proposal:

1. Introduce a small set of modifiers that tweak the way the game plays for each side (Zombie and Human).
2. There would be a small deck of Zombie cards and a small deck of Human cards.
3. After the game has been set up (all starting Humans have been chosen, the Zombie has chosen their zombie, the Scenarios have been chosen, the board has been laid out) the Zombie player and the Human players (collectively) assess the situation and choose one modifier to play with and place it face down on the table.
4. At the same time the two sides flip their cards
5. Play proceeds with the modifiers chosen

Here is a mockup (randomly grabbed some art and templates)

I am not interested in discussing whether these are balanced or not, I am just interested in what you guys think of this concept. To make it easier in case the cards are hard to read, this is the text of each:

Mutations
Element of Surprise
Whenever a Human is Overrun, they must immediately choose one item they are carrying and drop it in the store they are in

Sensitive To Noise
Search cards gain another symbol based on their printed symbol: Orange gains Green, Green gains Blue, Blue gains Purple, Purple gains Orange

Shamblers No More
When spawning Zombies you may consider one room that is unoccupied by a Zombie to be occupied

Rapid Transformation
Whenever a Human dies, immediately perform the lowest action on the Zombie side of their card and place the Horde Marker on the second space of the track.

Survival Tactics
Ballroom Blitz
The Melee Die may be re-rolled once per attack

Natural Born Leader
At the start of the game, the Human players choose one Human to be their Leader. The Leader gets 2 extra moves each turn and can give any number of those extra moves to other Humans. When the Leader finishes their turn, they alone search their Room, regardless of how many Humans took a turn.

Lay of the Land
A Human may choose to Move through a Secret Passage for free if the destination Room has no Zombie in it. After moving this way they cannot perform any actions for that Move.

Zombie Engineering 101
When the Barricade in the Courtyard reaches 0, reset it back to 3 instead of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not privvy to all the cards, don't the Zombified player cards provide the zombie player with just such modifiers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the concept. Another game-changing card would be to change one of scenarios mid-game. Kind of like, "Uh oh. The zombies pushed the helicopter off the roof! I guess we don't need these parts anymore. What else can we do to get out of here?"
I'm sure there are many others folks will think of as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EntropyGuardian wrote:
While I'm not privvy to all the cards, don't the Zombified player cards provide the zombie player with just such modifiers?

Yes. The greaser for instance has an ability very similar to Shamblers No More which could theoretically let a zombie reach the courtyard with two rooms empty if both are in play.

If there were cards like this, they would have to take competitive as well as cooperative play into account. Natural Born Leader would not work for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EntropyGuardian wrote:

I am sure there are likely some overlaps, I don't know what all of the abilities do. These are just ideas, the concept is really what I was interested in getting feedback on .

I would hope if this was implemented it would add things that aren't already on a card in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrEleven wrote:
EntropyGuardian wrote:

I am sure there are likely some overlaps, I don't know what all of the abilities do. These are just ideas, the concept is really what I was interested in getting feedback on .

I would hope if this was implemented it would add things that aren't already on a card in the game.

I get you, I didn't mean like the functions but I mean from a gameplay perspective it is almost identical -- a modifier is put into place to start with for the zombies that modify the game. One difference being that you don't choose that -- I haven't seen this for certain but I'm pretty sure the Zombie player just randomly draws an ability.

The main difference here in this idea is the survivors also having modifiers to choose from. The main problem there I can see is differentiating a group ability from each individual player ability in some way. Or if you have a 5 player came and you've lost 2 lives you have 4 individual player abilities, 1 survivor team modifier/ability, 3 zombie team modifiers, 1 survivor team modifer/ability. Might get convoluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could get to be a bit much for some people I suppose. In the end every Human has 1 Human ability, equipment abilities and if this were introduced, potentially a new ability/modifier. It didn't seem like too much to me but you could be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest and most obvious problem is that we want this game to go to print quickly to meet the fulfillment ETA. Adding a major new mechanic means weeks of playtesting and refining.

So I say no for a stretch goal. But both TED and TEG have expansions. If TEZ does well (and it will) we can expect more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of this as a possible expansion released later. One possible twist to include is the ability for each side to gain one of these cards after completing certain tasks, instead of starting with one. That would give each side a "mini objective" to go after while still trying to accomplish what their side needs to win the game. Each side would need to evaluate the benefit of going after the mini objective to get a "power up" card.

I would still have the power up card be known at the start of the game, so the players can decide when/if it's worthwhile to go after it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.