Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hytch
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few questions to clear up some confusion on AI rules after my first play:
1) When logging or fencing the priority order uses distance from the Farmhouse to decide. How are ties broken? This is important as it determines whether the AI advances towards the human player or towards its corner and can determine which type of forest tile is logged.

2) If the AI does a harvest x 2 action (ie as though the combine harvester had been played) how is it decided which market card is discarded? I went with lowest value.

3) The AI is taking the market action because it has empty fields and the personality says that it should spend a fence card to mature whatever is purchased, if it is taking this action twice (two empty fields) is it right that it spends two market cards to mature both purchases?

4) Will the AI buy equipment? I'm assuming yes because the rules just say that it buys the cheapest market card...

5) When taking the market action and no card helps its Farmhouse objective or even they hinder it, am I right that it just buys the cheapest card?

6) Why is there no market action with mature benefit in October, February or March (Otto)? If the AI buys anything in these months (plants in October) it is a wasted action since it will never mature and generate income and it cannot be harvested, it just clogs up a field.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Kwok
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi David,

As the solo rules were written by Frank, I will have to get him to respond as I am not as knowledgeable with solo modes. His BGG name is skifreak737 and I've alerted him about your questions so hopefully he will have time to respond soon.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,
Stephanie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hytch
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for quick response Stephanie. No rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
campanadave wrote:
Just a few questions to clear up some confusion on AI rules after my first play:
1) When logging or fencing the priority order uses distance from the Farmhouse to decide. How are ties broken? This is important as it determines whether the AI advances towards the human player or towards its corner and can determine which type of forest tile is logged.

2) If the AI does a harvest x 2 action (ie as though the combine harvester had been played) how is it decided which market card is discarded? I went with lowest value.

3) The AI is taking the market action because it has empty fields and the personality says that it should spend a fence card to mature whatever is purchased, if it is taking this action twice (two empty fields) is it right that it spends two market cards to mature both purchases?

4) Will the AI buy equipment? I'm assuming yes because the rules just say that it buys the cheapest market card...

5) When taking the market action and no card helps its Farmhouse objective or even they hinder it, am I right that it just buys the cheapest card?

6) Why is there no market action with mature benefit in October, February or March (Otto)? If the AI buys anything in these months (plants in October) it is a wasted action since it will never mature and generate income and it cannot be harvested, it just clogs up a field.

Thanks in advance

1) Towards an opponent. If more tham one, decided at random.
2) Lowest value is correct.
3) When I developed the solo version, there was a card that matured two fields. Apparently, that is no longer the case. For now, mature TWO fields for that one card, but this may well be changed in the solo rules revision later this year (see notes below.)
4) Yes, but only so long as after the purchase it will still own more non-equipment cards. (Apparently, this rule was omitted somewhere along the way.)
5) You are correct.
6) Because unless one can Harvest it before the end of that month, then it is a wasted action since it will Mature automatically at the end of the month. There may be times where that is the best pair of actions in one of those months, which I will take a look at during the rules revision process.

The problem is that there were several changes from the prototype I developed the solo version of the game on and the final published version -- i.e. Additional card, new text on some cards, and changes to the set up rules. These changes have had a detrimental effect on the way the AIs play.

Sadly, I do not currently have the time necessary to do the play testing necessary to revise the 3 AI characters. I do hope to do this sometime in June or July and will post an update in the files section here.

In the mean time, I suggest giving the AI characters some "common sense" better action selections based on your current game conditions. Sorry for the unforeseen problems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Kwok
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

3) When I developed the solo version, there was a card that matured two fields. Apparently, that is no longer the case. For now, mature TWO fields for that one card, but this may well be changed in the solo rules revision later this year (see notes below.)

3) I think the cards you're referring to are Steroids and Fertilizer which are both still in the game. The card allows you to choose two out of the 3 options (purchase a market card, mature, or mature) which means you can use it to purchase and mature a market card using that one fence card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hytch
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for speedy service. No need to apologise, these are minor clarifications where common sense correctly prevailed on the whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hytch
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephanie,
The fertiliser/steroids cards are in there and allow you to buy a card from the market and ignore it. For the AI though that needs to take two market actions the analogy would be to use two fertiliser/steroids cards to end up with two empty fields then filled with mature cards. I will use Frank’s suggestion to fill two fields for the cost of one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the changes that devastated the AI: when you harvest two fields, you must discard one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.