8 Posts

Lovecraft Letter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Double 7 while insane rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Gagnon
msg tools
Sup guys,

I saw the thread about sane double 7, but what about double 7 while insane?

Silver Key says that it must be discarded if you have a card higher than 4 in your hand.

Shining Trapezohedron has the same sane effect, but the insane effect makes you win if you have a card higher than 4 in your hands.

So here's the question, do you need to discard the Silver Key?

Its sane effect is still in play, while Shining Trapezohedron's insane effect is active.

Wouldn't Silver Key's effect make you obligated to discard Silver Key?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul P.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the insane effect triggers first because "in your hand" takes place before the discarded effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Gagnon
msg tools
The rulebook says

"Unlike other cards whose effects are applied when they are discarded, the text of silver key only applies while in your hand". Trapezohedron has the same ruling.

Both effects are triggered simultaneously while the cards are in your hands.

Also Trapezohedron says (in the sane effect) "ignore this effect if you are insane"

So then you have two 7's in your hand, the sane 7 forces you to discard it, while the insane 7 says you win.

Both 7's effects apply while they are in your hands, so at the moment you drew that second 7, both card's effect are being applied.

which take priority and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul P.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until a rules explanation comes out, I would say decide on "house rules" for that situation.

I personally will lean towards triggering the Insane effect because it seems to hold truer to the spirit of this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocChills wrote:
Until a rules explanation comes out, I would say decide on "house rules" for that situation.

I personally will lean towards triggering the Insane effect because it seems to hold truer to the spirit of this version.
I agree with you. I think then you win the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Surely this was already answered in the other thread:

rsdancey wrote:
When you're Insane, it's the same thing: you choose which you discard (so you'll likely choose Shining Trapezohedron and win unless you are trying to win as Sane, obv)

(Quoted from this reply.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Gagnon
msg tools
xipuloxx wrote:
Surely this was already answered in the other thread:

rsdancey wrote:
When you're Insane, it's the same thing: you choose which you discard (so you'll likely choose Shining Trapezohedron and win unless you are trying to win as Sane, obv)

(Quoted from this reply.)

The problem with that reply is that the 7 doesn't take effect when discarded, it takes effect when it's drawn and in your hand.

Remember the text from the 7 in the rulebook:

"Unlike other cards whose effects are applied when they are discarded, the text of the 7 only applies when it is in your hand"

Both effects are applied when the card is in your hand, not discarded.

And also the text of the 7:

"If you ever have the silver key and another card higher than 4 in your hands, you must discard the silver key"

Note the language, "must".

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate, but looking for a real answer based on the ruling.

Where did Ryan Dancey get his "official answer"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dancey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I asked Nicolas who is the project lead on this game and that was his answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.