Subject: Any chance of a couple of expansion cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robinson Crusoe
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying my plays of Zone Runners so far! It's a beautiful little game with some nice moments of tension. But I'm wondering if there's any chance of the designer creating a couple of expansion cards, which perhaps change the levels slightly?

A few of thoughts I had:
-Traps that make it slightly more difficult.
-A way to get back up to the top level (like a trampoline) that requires a particular roll to activate.
-Lasers?

Obviously, a big benefit to this game is its simplicity, but some of these things could be modules which could change the rules slightly and add to the variability of the levels.

Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pleased to hear that you're enjoying the game.

I do like the idea of additional cards. I assume they'd replace one, or more, of the standard set.
Unfortunately, as I'm currently busy with a couple of projects, my time is limited, so working on any game expansion would be near the bottom of my to-do list.
I still have notes and sketches for expansions to Mower Mania and Elemintary that I've never got round to developing shake

However, feel free to develop your thoughts on any cards (a 'trampoline' mechanic was mentioned in during the game's development in the WIP thread) and associated rule changes.
Once you (or anyone else) have an idea for how a card would work and what it would need to feature, I'd be happy to create it so that you could do some play testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robinson Crusoe
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! In that case, I have a couple of ideas which I will do some basic tests of then send you anything I think might work.

Thanks Mark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robinson Crusoe
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve done some brainstorming and here’s what I came up with so far:

4 cards, for 2 separate modules, that could be played separately or together by switching out base cards.

Module 1: Trampolines

To use a trampoline, a natural 5 or 6 must be rolled on one of your dice and used by the runner in this space. It is possible to add a second die, to this natural 5/6 in order to perform a running jump and use the trampoline. The runner is propelled up to a higher track and forwards one space.

Module 2: Fragile track

These track spaces will collapse if a runner stops on them. The runner must run/sprint past them, otherwise if they stop on this space they will fall down to the level below (or sometimes off the course).

I hope my quick sketches and my short descriptions make some sense. Let me know what you think! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the late reply - I wasn't subscribed to the thread! shake

Both these ideas sound good.

I'm currently busy with play testing games in the 9 card contest, and also doing some graphics for one of the other designers, but will try to fit in doing these 4 expansion cards so you can test them out properly.

I'll post here with a link once they're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've done the expansion cards suggested by
Robinson Crusoe
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in the same style as the originals.

I've included a rules card for each expansion (even though I've yet to test them out!) as well as card backs.

Not sure if the second 'collapsing track' card would be better with both Blockers on the mid track - so I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

You can find the cards here: ZONE RUNNERS EXPANSIONS

I've also created a separate thread for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robinson Crusoe
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Mark they look great! Thanks for taking my ideas. I'm really excited to try them out!

Will post some further thoughts later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.