Stefano Bragaglia
msg tools
Very silly question here.

According to the rules, the Mythos Phase is skipped during the first round and played normally any other round of a game.

In theory, if the Mythos Phase was at the end of the round rather at the beginning, a game would play normally since the first turn without the need for the extra rule to skip the first Mythos Phase.
There would be virtually no differences.

In practice, do you know if this would clash with any other rule?

I know, not really a problem... just for the sake of discussion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are an assortment of effects that have a duration "for the current round," and having the round start with the Mythos phase insulates the Mythos phase from those effects if they are invoked in the Investigator or Enemy phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would technically have an extra Mythos phase every game though.

Let's say a scenario takes 5 rounds to go through (just hypotheticals here).

In normal play, you would have 4 Mythos Phases:

(1st Mythos) Start of Round 2
(2nd Mythos) Start of Round 3
(3rd Mythos) Start of Round 4
(4th Mythos) Start of Round 5
Scenario Ends

With your rules, you would end up with 5 Mythos Phases:

(1st Mythos) End of Round 1
(2nd Mythos) End of Round 2
(3rd Mythos) End of Round 3
(4th Mythos) End of Round 4
(5th Mythos) End of Round 5
Scenario Ends

Having that extra Mythos phase might imbalance scenarios because of that extra Encounter deck draw (not to mention general rebalancing of Agenda/Act decks as well, since each scenario would see 1 extra Doom enter play).

I think it would change the game quite a bit. If you moved the Mythos Phase to the end of a round AND still skipped one in the first round of play then, no, I don't think the game would be affected much. But moving it to the end of a round and no longer skipped the first Mythos would definitely have a pretty substantial affect on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Carthoris wrote:
I think there are an assortment of effects that have a duration "for the current round," and having the round start with the Mythos phase insulates the Mythos phase from those effects if they are invoked in the Investigator or Enemy phases.

This is the big one. You would need to errata everything in the game that happens "At the end of the round" to be "At the beginning on the next mythos phase". (For example the encounter card Dissonant Voices would do basically nothing if you didn't apply this errata)

The extra potentially Mythos phase would only matter it would normally win a scenario "at the end of the round" which is very rarely the case (ever?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several player cards can only be played during your turn and expire at the end of the round, meaning they are never in effect during the Mythos phase. That's certainly by design. It would be more awkward, I think, for those to expire "At the beginning of the Mythos phase", in the middle of a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
You would technically have an extra Mythos phase every game though.

Let's say a scenario takes 5 rounds to go through (just hypotheticals here).

In normal play, you would have 4 Mythos Phases:

(1st Mythos) Start of Round 2
(2nd Mythos) Start of Round 3
(3rd Mythos) Start of Round 4
(4th Mythos) Start of Round 5
Scenario Ends

With your rules, you would end up with 5 Mythos Phases:

(1st Mythos) End of Round 1
(2nd Mythos) End of Round 2
(3rd Mythos) End of Round 3
(4th Mythos) End of Round 4
(5th Mythos) End of Round 5
Scenario Ends

Having that extra Mythos phase might imbalance scenarios because of that extra Encounter deck draw (not to mention general rebalancing of Agenda/Act decks as well, since each scenario would see 1 extra Doom enter play).

I think it would change the game quite a bit. If you moved the Mythos Phase to the end of a round AND still skipped one in the first round of play then, no, I don't think the game would be affected much. But moving it to the end of a round and no longer skipped the first Mythos would definitely have a pretty substantial affect on the game.

The game doesn't end after a set number of rounds though, it plays out until a doom threshold is reached, which typically only advances during the Mythos phase. So basically if the threshold is 4 you are going to resolve 4 Mythos phases total, it doesn't matter where they come in the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:

Additionally I think it would be very frustrating if you draw a monster to get attached to your investigator before he has a chance to play any cards (e.g. get out a weapon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got the game, I had the same thought as the original poster. But after playing with the game a little bit, I had the ahh moment that current set up makes a ton of sense.

As others have said the cards work with the current setup and would be clunky with your change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
Matt Newman (one of the game's designers) has answered this very question in a Reddit AMA. Here's what he said:

Quote:
We placed the Mythos Phase at the beginning for a number of reasons. One, it mirrored the quest phase from LOTR, which we thought would be helpful. Two, it was important that the Upkeep phase was the final phase of the round, for the sake of intuitiveness. We also liked that the Mythos Phase could give you effects that mess with your current round ("Until the end of the round, you cannot something something!") as opposed to wording it for next round, which is awkward.

So there you go. But yeah, as you say the game certainly could have worked fine with the Mythos Phase at the end of the round. Either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bragaglia
msg tools
Very insightful, thanks for sharing!

It now makes sense to me why things are like they are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bragaglia
msg tools
This shouldn't be a problem, as the Enemy Phase would take place before the Mythos Phase, so by the time the monster engages you, it would already have lost its opportunity to attack you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bragaglia
msg tools
Agreed. I was rather speculating why such choice hasn't been done for first... If such decision had been taken, in fact, we would have now all the cards with the proper different phrasing... I was just curious to know the reasons that led the development of the game in the direction that we are familiar now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.