Popular Tags: [View All]
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoth Steve:
Quote:
A single scenario has never taken me more than an hour after the intro game for new players, for example.

Elaborating on this for purposes of clarity. I have had three types of session, time wise:

Most common:
Solo, 2PC - about an hour give or take 15 minutes before I die horribly by an avalanche of woes and foes.

Next most common:
Solo, 2PC - 2 hours, but I somehow win.

I probably am playing slowly solo because I try to be meticulous with the orderly flowpath of events and can get lost in my own head sometimes.

Twice, so far:
6 Players - First game 3.5 hours, including short breaks at end of Scene 1 and 2. Also there was a brief rules refresher/orientation, though each had already watched a video or two and I had pre-set up all characters individually for each player in 1:1 chats earlier that week.

6 Players - Second game, 3 hours of actual play, i.e. not including with delayed start for late arrival and longish breaks after Scene 1 and 2.

What kind of patterns and session lengths are you all seeing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually we play two player games where we control two characters each. I'd say games normally takes 1-1.5 hours. But we continually plan about a turn in advance for all characters (give or take what to do with a few cards) so I'd assume games to be quicker if we'd make more decisions on the fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
I play primarily with my partner and we can get done 2-3 adventures in a couple hours.

The couple games I've played 4 players have been starter games, but the 2nd and 3rd scenes always got faster (even though there is more encounters) because people start getting better and they last under 2 hours.

I played one game with 6 players and four people there were completely new to the game. THAT game took about 3 hours but deserving so. We did end up winning the dungeon crawl for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuan Le
United States
California
flag msg tools
I play solo 4PC and it takes me around 2 hours. When I first started I maxed out at 3 hours. I got lost in my head as well sometimes and had to backtrack and rewind (when playing solo) but now with over a dozen games under my belt that's less of a problem.

I played with a 5 person group (5PC) once and it took us a little less than 2 hours with a rules explanation. It went by much quicker with 5 independent thinking heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never timed the actual playing of the game, but when you factor in setup, discussing characters, choosing the adventure, playing, and putting everything away it usually runs my group 2.5-3 hours.

We spend a lot of time talking though and the LGS manager is part of the group so there are people constantly walking over to see what he's doing/ask him for something/have him judge a M:tG rule dispute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5p game marathon:

Started about 11a
Ended about 10p
Took a break between each game for bathroom, snacks, leg stretching and game maintenance (new Features, encounter deck swap outs, etc)

Played:
Dungeon Crawl I (success)
Wastes (success)
Dungeon Crawl II (success)
Bodyguards (success)
Unholy Presence, played scene III, failed, packed it up

So that's 5 games for 5p in about 11 hours, roughly 1.5-2 hours per game if you take out the rules explanation before the first round and the breaks - but leaving in the 'game maintenance' parts, since that's part of the experience.

At home with my partner playing 2p, we've learned how to identify a probable defeat and rapidly close the situation when we hit that point. Reset is fairly quick, though we have to pause if we hit a planned XP threshold or decide to try a different Feature Load out once realizing the current one just isn't working. Games are more 45min to 75 min each though a fast defeat can take us out in mere minutes. We don't really notice times, we just enjoy being together.

Based on those benchmarks and those reported above, I'd say that time to play is a function of the number of players... or to be more accurate, a function of the number of obstacles to defeat (which itself is a function of the number of players). More obstacles to defeat will take more time to do so.

Barring summons, in Dungeon Crawl, here's the number of encounters to expect.
2p: 2+3+4 = 9 encounters
3p: 3+4+5 = 12 encounters
4p: 4+5+6 = 15 encounters
5p: 6+7+8 = 21 encounters
6p: 7+8+9 = 24 encounters

From that, it should be obvious that it just takes a certain amount 'more' time to defeat more encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheri P.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avid Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
So far our 4 player games have been around 1-2 hours each, but we are also new players so time is spent rereading cards and such. I've to yet play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
I haven’t been timing myself, but I’m usually hitting about 90 minutes or so. I’m playing solo, 4 pc. Setup is maybe 10 minutes.
I think hour and a half, maybe 2 hours is average. I used to be a little quicker, but I’m forcing myself to stop and reread the Dragonfire card and skim encounters facing the character before each turn. I know I made a bunch of mistakes by skipping things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mitic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 players
Dungeon crawl
15-30 mins before we get smashed, and I'm talking smashed. Lol
We've had some nasty luck drawing encounters, also we're shit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo playing 2 characters are around 45 minutes. Our 2 player 2 characters are about an hour tops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
Quoth Steve:
Quote:
A single scenario has never taken me more than an hour after the intro game for new players, for example.

Elaborating on this for purposes of clarity. I have had three types of session, time wise:

Most common:
Solo, 2PC - about an hour give or take 15 minutes before I die horribly by an avalanche of woes and foes.

Next most common:
Solo, 2PC - 2 hours, but I somehow win.

I probably am playing slowly solo because I try to be meticulous with the orderly flowpath of events and can get lost in my own head sometimes.

Twice, so far:
6 Players - First game 3.5 hours, including short breaks at end of Scene 1 and 2. Also there was a brief rules refresher/orientation, though each had already watched a video or two and I had pre-set up all characters individually for each player in 1:1 chats earlier that week.

6 Players - Second game, 3 hours of actual play, i.e. not including with delayed start for late arrival and longish breaks after Scene 1 and 2.

What kind of patterns and session lengths are you all seeing?

We've got a group of 5, and the first time that we played it took about 3 hours, but now that we've got the rules down, the 5 can knock out an Adventure in an hour to an hour and 15, depending upon how things go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now that we know the rules...

Avg play times with setup (estimating):

2p = 1 hour
3p = 1.5 hours
4p = 2 hours

One thing we love about the game is the length....it’s long enough to feel like u played something significant, but it’s not so long that you decide to play something else because “that game’s too long”.

Some of my favorite games I just can’t get to the table because of extreme setup times plus a really long game length. Dragonfire doesn’t have that issue for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 4p, but it's me and three kids (12, 8, and 4....the 4 year old doesn't really do much), and we have a 2 year old that we sometimes need to take turns amusing. And the 8 year old really doesn't invest as much, so mostly it's me and the 12 year old making party decisions. Overall a single game/adventure takes about 90 minutes, but would totally take less time with a focused group that doesn't have distractions running around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time this weekend with 3 players. On the advice of many, we skipped the 'Quick Play' scenario and started with Dungeon Crawl.

We got a lot wrong in the first game and it took us maybe an hour. We reset and play again and it took us maybe 10-15 mins per Scene for a total of less than an hour. This is with one just one game played so I imagine we'll get even quicker once we don't have to read the cards each time.

One of the things we really liked about the game was that we could play a whole adventure in about an hour. I think we'll be able to play 2-3 adventures in a short evening in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.