5 Posts

Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: Bounty Hunting in Death For Hire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Bonney
Ireland
flag msg tools
This is based on my current solo Angel of Death playthrough, where everthing is fubar and the Badlands are worse than you could possibly imagine... unless you're Sean or Eric.

So, when bounty hunting, if you fail to make the necessary roll on any of the Clue tokens the mission says to shuffle the target back into it's deck. Can I assume that you're meant to keep adventuring until you draw that Encounter card? With the in-game reasoning that your leads turned out to be false, so now you take to beating about bushes with large sticks in the hope of drawing out your quarry?

The reason I ask is... man, this could lead to a long, long game. On my play through I only just got to place the Clue tokens after two hours of gameplay, because all three of the "Informant" cards I needed decide to cluster in the bottom six cards of the Encounter deck. So if I don't make the Explore rolls - and I honestly can't easily gauge what the chances are of that - and he goes back into the pile, I shouldn't have too much longer to wait until he pops up. But I presume that he'll follow the normal rules for a drawn Encounter card - i.e. having to wipe out the monsters who spawn along with him. If they beat me, or I have to run, off he'll go to the discard pile until I fully cycle through the deck and shuffle it. This is an off chance, but it's certainly possible. And next time I draw him... well, the same thing could happen again. Only by then the Hand of Doom will have probably ended the world due to me messing about in the Badlands for ages.

My point is, this could potentially run on a very, very long time - longer than is fun. Am I reading it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
yes but you have to fail your explore test on all the Clues before you shuffle the target in. If you're on the last clue, I would recommend using Luck to make sure you pass.
If you fail to find the target, you could abandon the mission & start a new death for hire or go to establish a base, although I didn't have space to include this in the mission book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:
If you fail to find the target, you could abandon the mission & start a new death for hire...

Hypothetically: when doing so, should the characters start that renewed attempt from the point where they just abandoned it or should they "rewind" back to their initial starting point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would like to publish official rules for this option at some point, but in the meantime:

Death For Hire:
If you Rest at the objective space (according to your faction) before you have destroyed your target & all Clues have been removed from the board, you can roll a different target & restart the mission.
OR
you can abandon the mission at the end of any turn & begin Establish a Base from wherever you are. If you are in Pigskin Port when you do this, you may begin 'Into the Unknown' instead (found in 'The Badlands & Beyond' book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Bonney
Ireland
flag msg tools
Cheers for the responses to this. It's certainly not something I couldn't houserule, but I do like getting the feedback on the intent before I do stuff like that. It's great to have you guys so active here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.