Ash Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
These dark eyes are from playing so late at BGG Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
I see women posting about books, knitting and crocheting. But what other hobbies do you have or are you trying to get into? Do you have any questions about certain hobbies?

thumbsupHave any pictures of you latest completion or your favorite one?thumbsup

I am into sewing, cross-stitching, quilting.
I have dabbled with wood burning but being left-handed makes it a little more difficult.
I received wood working tools for Christmas and can't wait for spring time to come in order to get into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written a couple novels. My best friend and I co-authored a book which we just published in December. Naturally, I enjoy reading books as well. Historical fiction is my favorite to write as well as read.

We just bought a house last year and I'm hoping to start a garden in the Spring and hopefully acquire some more houseplants. I've never been great at keeping plants alive, but I like them and enjoy learning more about them, so it's an area I hope to improve in!

I've also done a little bit of board game design, but haven't completed anything 100% yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I am heavily involved with scale modeling, in my case focusing primarily on WWII military ground subjects and dioramas. I also build other subjects on occasion such as Sci-Fi or automotive and also paint my own miniatures as well as scale figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do quilling. Otherwise known as paper filigree.
Example:

Not my work, just an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from playing board games I am into geocaching and, less than I would like, into reading. Recently we have discovered netflix which is a real danger to the other hobbies when carried out at and near home.

edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geocaching is my other main hobby. I find caches and maintain my own hides.

I play volleyball twice a week. We have also been ice skating a lot this winter.

Reading is another one that I fade in and out of. Just started playing some video games again after a few years off. I only play when the kids are asleep or not at home.

Making foam ore inserts is something I'd like to get into but I have to do my research first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reading and video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listening to music via a stereo system, (primarily), and listening live as well. (But in as that as I am in my upper fifties now, standing at rock concerts is a little tough on my back, legs and feet, not to mention my ears, so I have been doing less and less of that the last few years. I wish more rock artists would play at venues that have seats, but in the Bay Area, there are only a few venues that have seating.)

So, as far as hobbies go, that entails buying and selling high-end stereo equipment. (Surprisingly, there is a large amount of used equipment available to be purchased at discounted rates of 50, 40 and even 30% of list price, on websites like Audiogon, US Audio Mart and the Audio Asylum.)

And since my medium of choice is vinyl, that involves buying new and used vinyl as well. (Most of you would probably be surprised to learn that most new music (95+% - including artists such as K.Flay, The Shins, Arcade Fire, etc.) is actually put out on vinyl still, although admittedly it is relatively expensive versus buying it digitally via downloads. But the quality is much better via vinyl.)

And if you think gaming is an expensive hobby, HA!
High-End Audio is so very much more expensive, especially the equipment, some of which costs as much as a car. shake
(But for those select few of us who grew up listening to music via our parents stereos, and still love listening to music at concerts into our forties and fifties, that we don't mind the expense. Well, Okay, we tolerate the expense!) whistle

Oh, and I still read books, (yeah, the paper kind of books).
I know, old fogey alert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was heavily into making Confederate shell jackets, sack coats and kepis for some time. I made a number of CSA officers coats. Sold them on ebay. Yes - I like to sew. Haven't made any for a few years. Difficult to find the right wool for the period. Had a lot of fun at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another novelist here. Even though I'm published I'm not raking in enough money to elevate it above hobby status, yet. Also into Lego, jigsaw puzzles, reading, yoga, and I've recently taken to learning languages on DuoLingo. I also have a bizarre interest in personal finance and economics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Morgan
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to make jewelry, mostly earrings. As well, I like to sing. With the baby, it’s been a bit harder to do some things but I’ll get back to it eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading
Exercise
BGG
Hiking (but haven't done in a while)
Traveling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tricia Jaeger
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm a stay at home mom whose kid is in school so I have lots of time for hobbies. Depending on the time of year (I live with all four seasons) will usually determine what I'm in the mood for.

I enjoy quilting and cross-stitch too! I also love reading (currently into psychological thrillers), baking, photography, hiking, biking or just working out at the gym.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xixstar .
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I like lots of various forms of crafting - sewing, paper crafts, hand lettering, yarn crafts, learning new crafts. Or using technology for 3D printing or using a laser cutter or silhouette cutter. But I am probably mostly a serial crafter - I move on to project after project. Making game components is probably my next hobby.

Also like my planner habit though haven't been doing as much with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading
Photography - esp. macro photography of insects
Jigsaw puzzles
Crochet (comes and goes in phases)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith D
Japan
Iwaki
Fukishima
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a huge Canadian Football League fan. I invest very heavily into that. I am also very much into rave culture and make masks and bracelets for raves that I also go to. As far as hobbies, does weight lifting count? I have been a constant at a gym for as long as I can remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
mbmbmbmbmb
Comics, video games, making icons in photoshop, and vidding. I am hoping to learn a bit of drawing or painting this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne-Christine Bello
United States
Coleville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Everyday it get a little easier. But you gotta do it everyday. That's the hard part. But it does get easier.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play roller derby. I love everything about that sport, and it brings me so much. I have learned at age 30 that I can be athletic without ever having been so in the past. I love the sport, there is much more to it than what people think (we're not just beating each other up, we have roles to play, we have to be aware of everything and everyone, we are playing offensive and defensive at the same time, truly it is a beautiful game). So much of my free time goes to derby: practices, going to the gym, watching derby on tv, team related events, it takes up a lot of time, and I sure am glad my husband understands how important it all is to me.

And when I don't feel like roller derby, I play board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like reading and sometimes I write short stories. I'd like to write a novel but haven't managed to get past the outline stage yet. (One day...)

I also like solving and creating logic puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
annkri wrote:
I play roller derby. I love everything about that sport, and it brings me so much. I have learned at age 30 that I can be athletic without ever having been so in the past. I love the sport, there is much more to it than what people think (we're not just beating each other up, we have roles to play, we have to be aware of everything and everyone, we are playing offensive and defensive at the same time, truly it is a beautiful game). So much of my free time goes to derby: practices, going to the gym, watching derby on tv, team related events, it takes up a lot of time, and I sure am glad my husband understands how important it all is to me.

And when I don't feel like roller derby, I play board games.

Do you get hurt a lot? I would love to try but I own my own business doing physical things and try to avoid things that put me out for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goodbyebird wrote:
Comics, video games, making icons in photoshop, and vidding. I am hoping to learn a bit of drawing or painting this year.

I was so eager to learn how to make microbadges on here but I can't find a step by step instructions on how to do so. I guess I will leave it up to the pros. What kind of painting are you going to start with? Oil, acrylic...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Reading
Photography - esp. macro photography of insects
Jigsaw puzzles
Crochet (comes and goes in phases)

Ohh! The macro photography of insects sounds awesome! Have any pictures I can see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading - especially Japanese manga and novels (my manga collection dwarfs my game collection by an order of magnitude)
Knitting and crocheting
Gardening and plant breeding
Cooking and baking
Foreign travel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photography - particularly flowers, autumn leaves and my son. I would walk around with a camera all day if it wasn't so damn heavy.

Reading - especially fantasy, magical realism, and memoirs

Hiking and traveling - mostly to get to new places to hike and take photos.

I occasionally write short stories but I'm really slow.

I'm currently taking guitar lessons, thanks to a Christmas present from my husband, to work on that from my life goals list.

Arts and crafts, including watercolor, painting (acrylics), mixed media, sewing, though all of these have fallen by the wayside until my son is a little older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Studying Dharma (I’m a Zen priest)
Crochet
Reading
Painting miniatures

I’ve actually been trying to cut down on the number of hobbies, so I can actually finish more of what I start. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.