Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

As a little project in my free time I've been creating a website that can be used to view statistics on your BoardGameGeek play data. It is still in early stages and a bit amateurish, but if anyone is interested it is:

www.boredgamertools.com

Main features:
• Pie chart showing your most played games over a custom period of time.
• Pie charts showing information about games played e.g. the number of games played by mechanic, year published, weight etc.
• You can click on segments in these pie charts to get more information e.g. click 2017 under 'year published' to see the games you played that were published in 2017.
• Game stats e.g. number of plays, hours played, top score etc.
• Player stats e.g. number of plays, hours played, number of wins, win % etc.
• 'What should I buy?' gives recommendations for games to buy that you don't own, based on the number of plays or hours played by other users.
• 'What should I sell?' gives recommendations for games to sell, based on games you haven't played in a while or have given a low rating on BGG.
• 'What should I play?' gives recommendation for games to play that you own based on a number of criteria.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. I have limited time to work on this but will try to incorporate your suggestions if I can.

Tim

• [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic! Playing with the web site now to see what it can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Casey
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job Tim. I'm looking forward to see how you expand it. If I come up with any ideas, I'll definitely reach out to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

I've made a small update this weekend to include medals for total plays, unique games, and hours played in the last month. I thought it would be interesting to be able to see how these stats compare to other users.

Gold = you've played more than 80% of other users.
Silver = you've played more than 60% of other users.
Bronze = you've played more than 40% of other users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'd really like is a way to easily see my current H-index (my H-index is currently 26, as I have 26 games which I've played 26 times or more, but I'm trying to get it to 30). Currently I have to manually count down my list of played games until I get to a number where the number of plays is now higher than that game number, but it would be so much easier to have a way of just looking up my H-index.

I know there have been discussions on BGG about what people's H-indexes are (e.g this thread What's your h-index?), so it seems like there's some interest in the statistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for your suggestion Kim. I've added a 'H-index Analysis' page to the website which:
• Calculates your H-index.
• Shows how your H-index has changed over time on a graph.
• Shows what games you could play to increase your H-index most optimally.

I'm considering removing the graph as it causes the page to take a long time to load. I've left it for now though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's great! Thank you

Is there any possibility of having an 'exclude expansions' option for the H-index?

I used to log both expansions and base games for my plays (which I've stopped now) but that messes up the results a little as it counts those expansions as separate games towards my H-index (I wish there was a way on BGG to mass delete all my expansion plays, but it seems I'd have to do them one play at a time, which is too much work!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the tool my H-index came up as a 25, where as I thought it was currently 26 on the cusp of 27. Puzzled, I the looked at my BGG recorded games played and came up with different numbers. I took screen shots of both figures and then put them together for comparison:

Some (but not all) games have different numbers of plays, and the ones that are different aren't even ones I've played recently (e.g Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords, has 208 plays on BGG and 191 using the tool, Escape: the curse of the temple has 76 on BGG and 56 using the tool)

Any thoughts as to where the discrepancy is coming from?

This will be a really helpful tool, so it would be great if the play numbers could match.

Edit: I think I've worked out where the discrepancy comes from. The games that show incorrectly I suspect are all ones that I've sometimes logged multiple games at a time, as I've played multiple games on the same day.

Recently BGG changed things so that from a game's point of view it counts plays as number of times people have logged plays, rather than number of plays logged, to avoid people being able to add silly numbers of plays (so if you want a game to count as having 10 plays, you need to log 10 plays separately rather than just making quantity of games 10 on a single date).

Discussed in this thread: Monthly play numbers incorrect (with the BGG programmer explaining why they changed it).

If you're tool draws the data from the games details rather than from users play details, I guess that would explain things.

It's a real shame, as the only way to make things tally, would be for users to go back, and reenter each play separately, for those days when they've played games multiple times (which kind of defeats the purpose of them having a handy 'quantity of plays' option, when logging plays).

2nd Edit:

Though later in the linked thread Aldie offers some hope for a fix:

Aldie wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:
Looks like one way for me to rectify the problem with my own data is to go back and log all those multiple plays as individual plays. It'll be quite time-consuming to do so but at least there's an option...

Don't do that - we'll revisit this in the new year.

3rd Edit: Now I've finally read to the end of the thread, it sounds like the problem was recently fixed, so then I'm still puzzled what explains the big difference in number of my plays between BGG and your tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using a self-built Java-tool for this, but yours is way nicer!

Could you implement an option to include or exclude certain play locations? Reason is I am playing cards at lunch break at work with some colleagues and this is totally messing up my statistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kim,

You're right. It assumed that each logged play was one play. I've changed it so it should now take into account the number of plays entered. Also removed the expansions from the h-index calculations. Hopefully it works as expected now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Volker,

Yes I'll include that in the next update. It should be fairly easy to do as I already capture location data from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T1m0thy wrote:
Hi Kim,

You're right. It assumed that each logged play was one play. I've changed it so it should now take into account the number of plays entered. Also removed the expansions from the h-index calculations. Hopefully it works as expected now!

Perfect, thank you so much, this will be so useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volker,

You should now be able to filter by location using the drop down list at the top left of the profile page. I'll roll this out to the rest of the site gradually.

Let me know if it doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it works very well on the diagrams, but if I click the Order-by-filter on the Game Stats, it resets itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought of integration with

http://friendlessstats.dtdns.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volker - That should be fixed now.

Maurizio - no I haven't used that website before. What integration would you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a new stat to the site that may be interesting if you collect player win statistics. I've called it the t rating (made up name). I wanted something to measure a player's skill other than just win %. The t rating is the difference between each players 'win %' and their 'expected win % assuming every player has an equal chance of winning each game'. For example, if you played the following 3 games:
• Catan with 4 players [1 winner]
• Saboteur with 6 players [1 winner]
• One night ultimate werewolf with 6 players [2 winners]

If everyone has an equal chance of winning each game you should expect to win 0.75 (= 1/4 + 1/6 + 2/6) games on average or a win percentage of 25% (= 0.75 / 3). The t rating is your actual win % minus this expected win percentage. I think this a better measure of skill as win % can be influenced by the types of games played e.g. someone who plays mostly 2 player games is likely to have a higher win % than someone who plays mostly 4 player games, so comparing win % is not fair. The t rating shouldn't have this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just noted something a little odd. When I go to 'What Should I sell', a good number of the 'dates last played' are incorrect. For instance, Egizia comes up as last played in 2016, but when I look on my BGG logs it was actually last played in 2013. Strozzi comes up as last played on 2017, but actually was last played 2012. Possibly others are also incorrect, but those are the ones that stand out.

I am really liking the H-index analysis! It's making my challenge of increasing it much clearer. Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good spot! It was showing the last date that anyone on the site had played the game. This should be fixed now.

No problem, glad you've found it useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T1m0thy wrote:
Good spot! It was showing the last date that anyone on the site had played the game. This should be fixed now.

No problem, glad you've found it useful

Dates last played now show correctly, thanks.

Just spotted a strange oddity.

I did a partial update of data today, which correctly shows most of my recent plays, but for some reason my last play of Tokaido Collector's Edition shows as happening on the 29th Jan, giving me a total of 27 plays, but on BGG my last play logged of that game was on the 9th Feb, bringing me to 28 plays.

For some reason that play of Tokaido Collectors edition on the 9th is not showing up, despite more recent plays of other games appearing (so it's not that the update didn't work, it just ignored that one game).

Edit: But a new complete download fixed the problem, so all is well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I've added a page to keep track of some basic board game challenges:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T1m0thy wrote:
Update: I've added a page to keep track of some basic board game challenges:

I love the new challenge info - fantastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a cool tool! Here, have GG!

In the main page, when I select something, say changing the time to look back to, and then select something else in another section, say sorting people by time played instead of games played, it cancels the first selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Discover the Fun
badge
mb
Soooooo Rad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Jon - Good spot. That should be fixed now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.