Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Davis
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tasked with getting some door prizes for a small con (80-300 people, 8AM-12PM one day) we are planning in Omaha, NE. My idea was to:

Contact game publishers, especially ones that are somewhat local, to donate games for the con in exchange for a mention of them at the con. This is for a non-profit.

Am I missing anything? Is this the right approach?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe an area game store would donate a game or a gift certificate. Really, you could approach any local business about donating a gift certificate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could approach the vendors to see if they would donate something, perhaps in exchange for a small discount on their table price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the budget allows you could buy some inexpensive small games. Target, Walmart, and online usually have them on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a door prize I could get excited for:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some kind of dice sets could be a fun idea, like everyone gets a D20 or a pair of D6s.

Pins or buttons could also be fun, but not sure if you have time to design a custom pin or button and have 300 made.

Affordable body sprays and other good smelling products would be the most practical, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck. Start a few months out.

But, it's going to be hard.

I've been trying for a few years for a con of 250.

The 'Envoy' program flat out said they don't give prizes for small cons.

Asmodee NA took four months to reply (two months after the con, with paper work to apply for some 'possible' support).

North Star was really good for a while, but they weren't interested the past couple years.

The two companies that have ALWAYS been good and given something are Flying Buffalo and Asmadi

As someone said, you will get better response from the vendors and local gaming stores.

Coolstuff is one of the vendors, so they also have been kind in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had a successful gaming event and had a little over 100 people (in a town of 5000, and we weren’t sure if there were any gamers) also for a non-profit. We went to local businesses and it went over very well. By all means, contact publishers, it won’t hurt. If this s the first and you don’t know for sure how many you can expect, they may be hesitant, but I have no clue. If you have some smaller publishers that are more local, or at least regional, you may have more luck. Let us know how it goes and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask the venue to kick in a door prize, or some trinket for all attendees. Nearly free advertising for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find any empty Gloomhaven box and then put a copy of Exploding Kittens in it to raffle off.whistle

On the serious note though if you haven't already maybe look into prizes and donations from local restaurants, breweries and other ancillary businesses gamers would surely enjoy. It doesn't have to be just games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the great ideas! It's in August, I still have time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of gift certificates to local stores and restaurants.

Dice are a good option too, like the little Chessex boxes of 7 die sets, or the boxes of d6s.

No scented products. Too many people have sensitivities to those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.