Subject: How does Wayward One work with Indira? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I'm spelling her name wrong, but Indira is the Breach Mage that only has a single breach, and the rest of her specialty involves casting spells from her own hand unprepped.

Does that mean that 100% of her attacks would go at a reduced damage, or does she get to ignore that penalty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to re-read his card, but I think off the top of my card, the penalty only applies if you are unaligned, and unaligned is defined as casting from a different breach. If she is not casting from a breach, she is not casting from a different breach. So anytime shes casts from her hand, she can ignore the penalty.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
According to the Wayward One nemesis mat:

Quote:
Aligned: Prepped spells or breaches matching the current position of the nemesis, or a minion that has a position, are considered aligned with that nemesis or minion. If a spell is prepped in at least one aligned breach, that spell is aligned.

Misaligned: Any prepped spell that isn't aligned is misaligned. (Half damage here.)

Note that when talking about alignment, spells must be prepped for this case - prepped spells are aligned or misaligned. When a spell is not prepped into a breach, it is neither aligned nor misaligned.

The previous post is correct in indicating that Indira's casts would not be subject to any penalty (except the ones in Breach 3). That being said, Wayward One also has a number of other effects which you want aligned spells for, so she won't be able to handle most of those, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruduen wrote:

Quote:
Aligned: Prepped spells or breaches matching the current position of the nemesis, or a minion that has a position, are considered aligned with that nemesis or minion. If a spell is prepped in at least one aligned breach, that spell is aligned.

Misaligned: Any prepped spell that isn't aligned is misaligned. (Half damage here.)

Note that when talking about alignment, spells must be prepped for this case - prepped spells are aligned or misaligned. When a spell is not prepped into a breach, it is neither aligned nor misaligned.

The previous post is correct in indicating that Indira's casts would not be subject to any penalty (except the ones in Breach 3). That being said, Wayward One also has a number of other effects which you want aligned spells for, so she won't be able to handle most of those, either.

Ah so she might not be the Wayward One's kryptonite after all. She can ignore the alignment stuff, but then flounders at whatever those other effects are. (I'm playing Wayward One with a group next Monday and the Indira issue occured to me so I figured I would ask here.) Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Honestly, the person I like bringing most against Wayward One is probably Reeve. She starts with enough sparks to help mitigate some of the damage that its unleashes can do, and her charge ability is another ability that can penetrate minion alignment - though I tend to like Reeve's playstyle in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
She might not be the best choice to solo WO but she's still a solid addition to at team.
Tip: Spells that take two breaches are good against WO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
She might not be the best choice to solo WO but she's still a solid addition to at team.
Tip: Spells that take two breaches are good against WO.

But doesn't that also mean you have fewer spells to deal with unleashes and thus Gravehold will take more damage? I suppose that's fine if you have Gravehold healing abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You only have fewer spells available if you would normally buy additional extra spells and focus enough breaches to fill up all of your slots. While it's certainly in the realm of possibility, dual-breach spells often do enough to give you a good shot of damage when you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ruduen wrote:

Quote:

I'm going to burst some bubbles by saying this, but I think your interpretation is incorrect. The descriptions on Wayward One say that a spell prepped to the proper breach is aligned, and any spell that is not aligned is misaligned. The second half has no mention of prepping. A spell that is not prepped is definitely not aligned, so it would then be considered misaligned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
weasel47 wrote:
I'm going to burst some bubbles by saying this, but I think your interpretation is incorrect. The descriptions on Wayward One say that a spell prepped to the proper breach is aligned, and any spell that is not aligned is misaligned. The second half has no mention of prepping. A spell that is not prepped is definitely not aligned, so it would then be considered misaligned.

The word "prepped" is explicitly used in the first edition mat. It's entirely possible that this was changed in the 2nd edition printing - that would be a different case where yes, Indira would do half damage. I can't really speak for that, since I only have the first-edition mat to look at right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ruduen wrote:
weasel47 wrote:

The word "prepped" is explicitly used in the first edition mat. It's entirely possible that this was changed in the 2nd edition printing - that would be a different case where yes, Indira would do half damage. I can't really speak for that, since I only have the first-edition mat to look at right now.

You're right, this does appear to be a change in second edition. It's an odd change, too, since the biggest effect is making Indira even harder to use against Wayward One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin seems to have thumbed up people suggesting that Indira does negate the half damage penalty though, so I'm inclined to think that she is safe from that aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
Ruduen wrote:
weasel47 wrote:

You're right, this does appear to be a change in second edition. It's an odd change, too, since the biggest effect is making Indira even harder to use against Wayward One.

This was a change that we made.

It wasn't to make Indira harder. We talked about how to handle this a lot actually. To us, Wayward One has a special defense against any spell that is not aligned to it, so we had to be sure that every spell that wasn't aligned was misaligned. We felt thematically and intuitively this made more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
Kevin seems to have thumbed up people suggesting that Indira does negate the half damage penalty though, so I'm inclined to think that she is safe from that aspect.

Oops. As Nick mentioned, we made a deliberate change here that I forgot about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklittle wrote:

It wasn't to make Indira harder. We talked about how to handle this a lot actually. To us, Wayward One has a special defense against any spell that is not aligned to it, so we had to be sure that every spell that wasn't aligned was misaligned. We felt thematically and intuitively this made more sense.

Fair enough, though I suppose it does make Indira effectively unplayable with that particular Nemesis. That's too bad because I really like that mage. Oh well, there are like 20 other to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
nicklittle wrote:

Fair enough, though I suppose it does make Indira effectively unplayable with that particular Nemesis. That's too bad because I really like that mage. Oh well, there are like 20 other to choose from.

You could always just play it where casting spells from hand with Indira does full damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:
nicklittle wrote:

You could always just play it where casting spells from hand with Indira does full damage.

No thanks. I generally try to not house rule much. Plus there are so many great mages to choose from!

So, here are the results as we played today. We played with Xaxos (the one that gives out charges and can order the deck), Remnant for the Gravehold healing, and I played Yan Magda (sorry if I misspelled his name).

We randomized the deck but we managed to strike gold and got that 7 cost Helix relic that lets you cast a spell without discarding it and the 8 cost Monsterous Inferno spell that does 7 damage spread as you like on two breaches. And, you know, I had Yan. So I loaded up on free infernos while gifting free Helixes to others so that we could absolutely OBLITERATE the Wayward One.

In the end, Yan became exhausted, but the very next turn we took down the Wayward One, giving me my first victory against the dastardly level 7 boss! Amazing fun, we had a blast, and I can't wait until Legacy arrives so I can back it, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.