Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the deal. I like 7 Wonders Duel better than 7 Wonder... mainly because I usually have just two players. That got awkward... But no, drafting is one of my favorite mechanics, more so when it is part of a system such as Blood Rage and Terraforming Mars Draft Variant. But that being said, I still really enjoy drafting games like Sushi Go Party to play with the family.

Let me get to the point. What I think 7 Wonders does better than basic drafting games like sushi go or Fairy Tales is that it makes you make a decision with the card you chose. You can either build, trash for cash, or work on your wonder. That gives an additional decision to be made and makes it feel a bit more meaty. And I'm using meaty in comparison to basic drafting games here. Don't want a complexity war discussion to break out here.

As much as I wanted to rebel against this well known gateway game, I really actually enjoyed it. Granted I only have two plays under my belt. I think the theme is better than Duel only because your civilization only builds one wonder, instead of potentially four, but that is stuff that is so petty. I'm not making a big deal about it at all, especially not for a 30-40 minute game.

So, what's my verdict. I finally pulled the trigger on this one because it was 20 bucks on Amazon. You know the oldest excuse in the book to buy another game. "It's just such a great deal, I'll trade it if I don't like it." Well I do like it, in fact I like it enough to keep it because I have family members and kids to play this game for a good while. So I can get tired of it like many of you, and look down on it for being a beginners game. I'll end up having the expansions and talking about which ones are good with you guys. It will all work out in the end right?

Whelp, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I like to be a hard core gamer as much as the next guy, but I can't help when I go into a game with my nose turned up, and leave saying, "I had a really good time." I look forward to many more plays of this one in the future.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
7W has no downtime.
7W supports a wide range of player counts
7W can be played 7WD style.
7W wins. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
7W has no downtime.
7W wins. modest

This is one of the best games to accommodate with 6-7 people simply because there is very very little downtime. It can have a slight learning curve and trying to teach 6 new people how to play can be tough. I have not played 7WD style though - does it translate pretty well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Miked1921 wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
7W has no downtime.
7W wins. modest

This is one of the best games to accommodate with 6-7 people simply because there is very very little downtime. It can have a slight learning curve and trying to teach 6 new people how to play can be tough. I have not played 7WD style though - does it translate pretty well?

Shameful plug: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27169593

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, the official 7W player variant is good enough that after ~30 two player games, I'm sure I'll never try any other variations. I also prefer it more than 7W Duel! It's just so much more strategic, than a multiplayer variant and has a lot of direct player interaction which is really weak in a multiplayer 7W games. With 2 players, more often than not you're more aware about your opponent's buildings and tactics, than yours

And let's not forget about the Free City! Using is efficiently for your own advantage and at the same time making sure your opponent has limited options to play a card for Free City is a pure art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are going to make me have to whip out 7 Wonders and try the 2 player variant. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.