Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bidding Game Set-up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Batman
msg tools
Hello everyone! So I have been brainstorming with my fellow TI4 players about a more... open set-up. After building the map and picking races, players would just pick a spot and let 2 other players bid for what seems like a very nice starting spot, leaving 1 player at 0 TG, 2 at 2TG and 3 at 3TG.

It feels... dull-Lame? So we put our brains together about what we can do about this and prevent players from starting with extra TG while giving them a different advantage.

Here is what we have made that seems to be fun, without wasting extra time on way too many extra bidding sessions.

Players start with 5TG. Everyone sits down around the table, these seats are permanent as they will move after home world start position bidding.
1: SPEAKER: Everyone rolls for speaker token. Players may, after everyone rolls, spend a TG to increase their dice roll, to a max of 10. If this causes a tie after TG is spent, the top players refill for the token and may again spend TG to increase the roll. The going rate is 1 TG = +1.

2: RACE: Time for selecting your race. Starting with the speaker (then after clockwise) the player draws 3 races. After which, he may spend TG to draw another race. (1 TG = 1 more draw.) After the player selects, the rest get shuffled back in and the next player draws three. This continues till all players have a race.

3: GALAXY CONSTRUCTION: After races have been selected, galaxy build as normal, starting with the speaker and draft style clockwise.

4: STARTING LOCATION BIDDING: Now we bid for starting locations! Starting with the speaker, he may pick a spot and claim his bid which can be 0 to 5 TG depending how how much he wants to bid or how much he has left. *NOTE* If you have any TG left over after this, they are returned to the reinforcements. Going clockwise, players will select and bid, but if they select a spot another player has claimed, they must out bid him or they have to deselect. This keeps going, skipping those whom already have a claim on the board. Once everyone has a claim out that is th are starting position! Move your seats to your claimed area and set up.

5: START: START as normal.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I'd have to give it a try. I think, to me, part of the purpose of the bidding system is to eliminate some of the luck that comes with your random hand of tiles, your race (depending on how your group handles selection), and the speaker (generally a die roll in our group). I would just have bidding for speaker be another step in the process.

Also, having more than 5 TGs would allow more flexibility in the bidding and create more separation so there aren't as many ties throughout the process. With only trade goods, you could go to 8. Using other proxy, you could take it even higher.

It could be argued that starting with the speaker token is the most important part of the whole start. So leaving that to a die roll (supplemented by TGs) isn't my favor way to implement the bidding. Also, when adding TGs to your die, is there a turn order? Can you counter raise my die after someone raises higher than mine? How long does the bumping of the die go?

What if you moved the speaker step to the last part and whomever has the most leftover TGs after starting locations is the speaker. This, in addition to rewarding the player who picks further back in the other two rounds would also add some intrigue to the Bidding for start location.

1. Construct
2. Race Draft/Bid for Races
3. Bid for Start
4. Assign Speaker
5. Discard Tokens

Just some ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
Avemo3 wrote:
Sounds interesting. I'd have to give it a try. I think, to me, part of the purpose of the bidding system is to eliminate some of the luck that comes with your random hand of tiles, your race (depending on how your group handles selection), and the speaker (generally a die roll in our group). I would just have bidding for speaker be another step in the process.

Also, having more than 5 TGs would allow more flexibility in the bidding and create more separation so there aren't as many ties throughout the process. With only trade goods, you could go to 8. Using other proxy, you could take it even higher.

It could be argued that starting with the speaker token is the most important part of the whole start. So leaving that to a die roll (supplemented by TGs) isn't my favor way to implement the bidding. Also, when adding TGs to your die, is there a turn order? Can you counter raise my die after someone raises higher than mine? How long does the bumping of the die go?

What if you moved the speaker step to the last part and whomever has the most leftover TGs after starting locations is the speaker. This, in addition to rewarding the player who picks further back in the other two rounds would also add some intrigue to the Bidding for start location.

1. Construct
2. Race Draft/Bid for Races
3. Bid for Start
4. Assign Speaker
5. Discard Tokens

Just some ideas

Speaker is the first thing to go out, which could also be the most expensive tg spending. It honestly is not that important if you look at homeworld bidding, because you have to see what the speaker is picking because you might want to sit on his left to be 2nd to pick SC.

The world building is after race because race plays a huge role in where you would put things. Creuss more importantly.

As for the dice roll, it could swing where most people could roll 2 where only one rolls 9-10. No one would spend TG if they can't reach it, giving them the chance to spend 4 on race and 1 on bidding or what not.

For adding TG to your rolls, you just say how much you are putting on it after everyone rolls, and you can do it as many times as you want, so if two people fight for the top and spend 5 TG, they have no options for later.

8 might be a good change, but 5 seems to be working, limiting players from drawing more than 2 other races usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I get the need for speaker first.

As for world building/race selection, it doesn't matter where you put things if you don't know where you are starting. If you pick Cruess and build the perfect pie slice for Cruess, and then an opponent wins the bid for seating and takes that spot, your whole game is toast. So construction before or after race doesn't matter as much in that scenario.

If you do construction before, you can do it days before allowing your group to look over everything and be prepared for the map before the day begins. Saves a ton of time day of when doing a pre-build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As for the die roll, I'd rather have speaker tied into bidding somehow.

Also on the adding TG to die rolls, do you lose your TGs if you lose the battle for first? Or do you get them back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
Avemo3 wrote:
As for the die roll, I'd rather have speaker tied into bidding somehow.

Also on the adding TG to die rolls, do you lose your TGs if you lose the battle for first? Or do you get them back?

It is not a bid, so if you put TG down to increase the roll, that is it. You can put one down at a time to see if someone will tie or go over with you, and only if they say "Pass" do we have a winner.

Most of my players enjoy it, I want to hear more opinions if anyone has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
I also disagree with the bidding of speaker token and/or race.
Too much bidding will mean that you will spend almost 2 hours of setting up the game. WAY too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.