Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connie V
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I've recently discovered this game - and am loving it! I was sad to see so little discussion in the forums - I wanted to start a more positive thread to encourage discussion.

So, I wanted to pose a few questions to the group:

(1) What is the replay value of Bora Bora, and have you found multiple ways to win? What is your favorite strategy?
(2) What are the best men/women tiles, and why?
(3) What completion objectives do you go for, and how many do you usually complete?

I have only played twice, but am worried that some of the men/women feel a lot stronger than others, and am wondering whether there are alternate paths to victory. Specifically, the building and travel over water men/women. The second time I played, I had a pair of each of those people, and ended up completing 5 of the 6 completion bonuses (all except "get 12 people"). It was a four player game, and most of the others hadn't played before, so that's probably part of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duodora wrote:
Hello all,

I've recently discovered this game - and am loving it! I was sad to see so little discussion in the forums - I wanted to start a more positive thread to encourage discussion.

So, I wanted to pose a few questions to the group:

(1) What is the replay value of Bora Bora, and have you found multiple ways to win? What is your favorite strategy?
(2) What are the best men/women tiles, and why?
(3) What completion objectives do you go for, and how many do you usually complete?

I have only played twice, but am worried that some of the men/women feel a lot stronger than others, and am wondering whether there are alternate paths to victory. Specifically, the building and travel over water men/women. The second time I played, I had a pair of each of those people, and ended up completing 5 of the 6 completion bonuses (all except "get 12 people"). It was a four player game, and most of the others hadn't played before, so that's probably part of it!

THat's an impressive result.

But really, I consider Bora Bora very replayable, simply because the order of tiles is randomized and thus they force you to adapt on the go. Bora Bora is more of a tactical game, where you try and squeeze maximum benefit over things you don't have much control over, while trying to not set yourself up a dead end.

I don't think there's "multiple paths" to victory in Bora Bora - your path to victory is always you exploiting the board situation and the tiles available to maximum benefit. Thus the relative power of the person tiles is also highly dependent on what objectives you get. I don't think you can really decide going in that this time you are going to go for the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Replay value is extremely high. There are multiple ways to win. You will only discover some of these ways after repeated playing.

(2) There are no best men/women. It all depends on the situation. What tasks you get, whether all (!) players roll low or high (more blocking vs. stronger actions), what others do. For many games, I thought that men/women giving status points are essentially useless. Oh no. Then I saw how another player used them to max out the status track in one round, netting in a huge 15 (?) VP plus getting first position in player order. The next game, I perfected this strategy with a well-timed placement of priest in the temple to get majorities there in the last two rounds. If you have not already guessed it by now: Bora Bora is one of my top-3 games of all time. But it took me at least 10 games to realize that.

(3) Your first (random) objectives give you a general guideline, but that's all. You have a lot of options how to develop from that point on. The second part cannot be answered. It depends on the player count and what values are rolled. Sometimes you can get all 6 objectives done, sometimes you cannot. For instance, it becomes almost impossible if many players start round 1 with placing many low valued dice, i.e. blocking off everything. A game of Bora Bora can be anything from managing constant shortages to choosing wisely form an abundance of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2) My guess is that, all other things being equal, the best wo·men are those providing only 2 shells/tattoos, then those with 3 and the worst being those with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great game that I love at all player counts, though I do play with the minor "God tiles" expansion that provides a way to mitigate dice rolls.

Bora Bora, like all great older games, faces the "tyranny of the new", the "shiny new game syndrome", where we all flit about chasing the latest new game, that may be no better, and sometimes worse, than what is already out there. So an endless parade of new games come and go. Only a few make a lasting impression.

I just love the look and play of this great heavier game. A keeper for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.